how to set quickfix to get tags infomation

  • Steve liu
    Message 1 of 5 , May 21, 2013
      I'm enable ctags.

      And if a lot of tags is matching when I stroke Ctrl+]. Some info will be shown.
      I want those info goes into quickfix window.

      how to do that.

      thanks

      --
      steve
      <sliu.119@...>

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 5 , May 21, 2013
        On Tuesday, May 21, 2013 3:53:11 AM UTC-5, Steve liu wrote:
        > I'm enable ctags.
        >
        > And if a lot of tags is matching when I stroke Ctrl+]. Some info will be shown.
        > I want those info goes into quickfix window.
        >

        > how to do that.

        There is no built-in way.

        But you can get a list of matching tags using the taglist() function, which you could use to build a quickfix list and set it using the setqflist() function.

        Or, if all you want is the ability to jump to more than just the first tag, you can set the 'cscopetag' option. This option causes CTRL-] to do :cstag instead of :tag. :cstag will act like :tjump if you aren't using cscope, which will present you with a list of matches and ask you to select one if there are multiple matches.

      • Steve liu
        Message 3 of 5 , May 21, 2013
          what I want is going in to the function and then has the ability to get out of it.  so tags is good. But no quickfix
          When there are a lot of matches. cscope will put all the info to the quickfix, which is good for me, but seems no something like tag stack to get in the function and get out.  ( I haven't try c in cscope. What I tried it verilog )

          btw: after cscope is launched in vim, ( e.g. cs find s ... ), and this put some info to quickfix.  After this, every time, at least :tag xxx will put info to quickfix. Interesting.

          btw2: there seems no way for :tag?? command to find the place where this function is called. Only cscope is able to do that, right?

          thanks

          On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 10:38 PM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
          On Tuesday, May 21, 2013 3:53:11 AM UTC-5, Steve liu wrote:
          > I'm enable ctags.
          >
          > And if a lot of tags is matching when I stroke Ctrl+]. Some info will be shown.
          > I want those info goes into quickfix window.
          >

          > how to do that.

          There is no built-in way.

          But you can get a list of matching tags using the taglist() function, which you could use to build a quickfix list and set it using the setqflist() function.

          Or, if all you want is the ability to jump to more than just the first tag, you can set the 'cscopetag' option. This option causes CTRL-] to do :cstag instead of :tag. :cstag will act like :tjump if you aren't using cscope, which will present you with a list of matches and ask you to select one if there are multiple matches.

          steve
          <sliu.119@...>

        • Yegappan Lakshmanan
          Message 4 of 5 , May 21, 2013

            On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 1:53 AM, Steve liu <sliu.119@...> wrote:
            > I'm enable ctags.
            >
            > And if a lot of tags is matching when I stroke Ctrl+]. Some info will be
            > shown.
            > I want those info goes into quickfix window.
            >
            > how to do that.

            You can use the ":ltag <name>" command to add all the matching tags to the
            location list.

            - Yegappan

          • Ben Fritz
            Message 5 of 5 , May 21, 2013
              On Tuesday, May 21, 2013 11:33:34 AM UTC-5, Yegappan wrote:
              > Hi,
              >

              > On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 1:53 AM, Steve liu <sliu.119@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I'm enable ctags.
              >

              > > And if a lot of tags is matching when I stroke Ctrl+]. Some info will be
              >
              > > shown.
              >
              > > I want those info goes into quickfix window.
              >

              > > how to do that.
              >

              > You can use the ":ltag <name>" command to add all the matching tags to the
              >
              > location list.

              I didn't know that! Sorry for my "there is no built-in way" answer. I guess I was wrong in this case.