Errors in vim app on android

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2013

      I am still not getting the vim touch app for android to run without problems.

      One set of errors don't prevent vim touch from running, but they are puzzling and I suspect they are preventing spell check from working.

      Error detected while processing /storage/emulated/legacy/.vimrc line 39:
      E518 unknown option: /storage/emulated/0/.vim/spell/en.utf-8.add.spl line:

      Line 39 in the .vimrc is"

      set spellfile=/storage/emulated/0/.vim/spell/en.utf-8.add /storage/emulated/0/.vim/spell/en.utf-8.add.spl

      I'm taking it that this is one error. I've checked the help on E518 and it is total Greek to me. I believe line 39 is the correct specification in android of the paths to the the spell check files; no one on the android forums where I've also sought help with this has said it is not.

      Anyone have a clue why I'm getting this error.

      Thanks,
      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA

      "It is the mark of an educated man to look for precision in
      each class of things just so far as the nature of the subject admits."

      - Aristotle, Nichomachean Ethics

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 3 , May 20, 2013
        Hi Eric!

        On Mo, 20 Mai 2013, Eric Weir wrote:

        > I am still not getting the vim touch app for android to run without problems.
        >
        > One set of errors don't prevent vim touch from running, but they are puzzling and I suspect they are preventing spell check from working.
        >
        > Error detected while processing /storage/emulated/legacy/.vimrc line 39:
        > E518 unknown option: /storage/emulated/0/.vim/spell/en.utf-8.add.spl line:
        >
        > Line 39 in the .vimrc is"
        >
        > set spellfile=/storage/emulated/0/.vim/spell/en.utf-8.add /storage/emulated/0/.vim/spell/en.utf-8.add.spl

        You are adding 2 files to the spellfile option. Since you used
        whitespace to add the second file, Vim thinks this is another option to
        turn on. :h 'spellfile' says this:

        ,----
        | It may also be a comma separated list of names. A count before the
        | |zg| and |zw| commands can be used to access each. This allows using
        | a personal word list file and a project word list file.
        `----

        I am not sure, why you want to add 2 files, but do as advised if you
        think you need it.

        regards,
        Christian
        --
        Wie man sein Kind nicht nennen sollte:
        Kathi Strophe

      • Eric Weir
        Message 3 of 3 , May 20, 2013
          On May 20, 2013, at 7:28 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:

          You are adding 2 files to the spellfile option. Since you used
          whitespace to add the second file, Vim thinks this is another option to
          turn on. :h 'spellfile' says this:

          ,----
          |     It may also be a comma separated list of names.  A count before the
          |     |zg| and |zw| commands can be used to access each.  This allows using
          |     a personal word list file and a project word list file.
          `----

          I am not sure, why you want to add 2 files, but do as advised if you
          think you need it.

          Thanks, Christian. I simply adapted what's in my macvim .vimrc for spelling on the android system. I don't know why I have two files there. It was most likely at the suggestion from someone here when I was just getting started with vim.

          I'm inclined to go with just one now after your response and reading the spellfile help. The contents of the two files is different however. The "en.utf-8.add" file is simply a list I've added as correct spellings. The "en.utf-8.add.spl" looks like this:

          VIMspell2� � abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz�� 235abcdefgjklmnprstuvx 60 u ors u t n e s s a h a m i 6c u r d u Nm cehk <st o m p l Ni m o n e y � i n s t e i 6n n o w l e d g e m e n t Ns i o n a b i l i t 6y dim o Nn c a Nl i s s a b l Ne <a t e r s c h o �o g r e g a t o Nr <e i d 6o cikl ' �s �m ai l Li n ' 6s s t a t 6e eim r i c a cn a l o l 6a o o n

          I think the difference in content contributed to my thinking the two files served different functions. My inclination is to keep the word list file and ditch this one, but I thought I'd inquire here first: What's the function of the "add.spl" file? Any harm in getting rid of it?

          Thanks,
          Eric Weir
          Decatur, GA. USA

          "The invincible shield of caring