Re: introduction + first question that will set the tone for me

    Message 1 of 2 , May 19, 2013
      On May 19, 8:59 am, Yuma Antoine Decaux <jamy...@...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > As per the subject, i have a simple question, before i go on and try to work VIM out. Is this potentially accessible to blind users?
      >
      > I've been more and more nudged towards using command line only at UNI as all GUI oriented applications are either horribly slow or unusable with a screen reader, and htough i love the simplicity and responsiveness of the command line, i need something a bit more powerful for editing python scripts and other stuff i;m currently learning.
      >
      > Any other blind VIM users out therre can give me a primer?
      >
      > Thanks, and best regards
      >
      > Yuma
      [...]
      I'm not blind myself, but this is a question about Vim in general
      rather than specifically about Vim *on the Mac*. I'm redirecting it to
      the vim_use list where more people would be reading it.

    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 2 , May 19, 2013
        On May 19, 8:59 am, Yuma Antoine Decaux <jamy...@...> wrote:
        > Is [vim] potentially accessible to blind users?

        While not blind myself, I've tried it under "yasr" ("yet another
        screen reader", a screen-reader for the console, using Flite as a
        speech backend) multiple and found it usable if not laborious. Then
        again, much of the labor was my own inexperience with the screen
        reader. With something like the kernel Speakup module, and full
        keyboard control via commonly chorded commands (such as using either
        insert+key or capslock+key), it might be easier.

        One of vim's big advantages is the ability to edit with intention.
        Rather than moving the cursor around until you stumble across a
        destination, you can do things like "delete from here up the next
        place you find the word kibble" or "indent from here to the next
        paragraph break" or "move forward on this line to the next
        open-paren" or "start editing the contents of this double-quote
        delimited string, regardless of where I am inside it".

        I do know that there are multiple folks over on the Blinux
        (Blind Linux users) mailing list:

        who use vi/vim. It might also help to know which OS and screen-reader
        you're running, and if you're on Linux/BSD, whether you are using the
        console terminal 100%, or as a window in a GUI. Since Tony forwarded
        from the Mac mailing list, it might be safe to assume you're running
        OS-X with VoiceOver. Vim's usability may be yoked to the usability
        of VoiceOver within an OS-X terminal.

        -Tim