Re: To all syntax file maintainers: examples needed

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 6 , May 18 2:23 PM
      I wrote:

      > The plan is to include a new regexp engine in Vim 7.4. For testing
      > I would like to get a lot of files for which we have syntax
      > highlighting. I can then compare the highlighting of these files with
      > the old and the new engine to find anything that is not compatible.
      >
      > Please send me a file that exercises most regexp patterns in the syntax
      > file. It doesn't need to be long, but it should be a complex example of
      > the language. Send it as an attachment to avoid the white space being
      > messed up by the mail system.
      >
      > I would prefer one file per syntax, but it must be valid syntax. If one
      > file is problematic (e.g., you can't concatenate small files without
      > making it invalid), then a few files would be OK. A rough goal would be
      > 1000 lines.
      >
      > At some later point we might also want to do performance measurements.
      > Although I already have a few "bad" examples for that.
      >
      > IMPORTANT: I will distribute the collection of files, so that others can
      > reproduce problems, do performance measurements, etc. Make sure your
      > file has a copyright that permits this. Don't reveal any secrets,
      > patents, trademarks, etc. A line stating that the Vim license applies
      > should be sufficient.

      With the few files I received I already found two bugs in the new regexp
      engine.

      But I received only 7 files. I need many more! So now asking everyone,
      not just syntax file maintainers, to send me files for testing. Please
      read the quoted text above for what the file should contain.

      --
      BRIDGEKEEPER: What is your favorite colour?
      GAWAIN: Blue ... No yelloooooww!

    • Charles E Campbell
      Message 2 of 6 , May 18 7:37 PM
        Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > I wrote:
        >
        >> The plan is to include a new regexp engine in Vim 7.4. For testing
        >> I would like to get a lot of files for which we have syntax
        >> highlighting. I can then compare the highlighting of these files with
        >> the old and the new engine to find anything that is not compatible.
        >>
        >> Please send me a file that exercises most regexp patterns in the syntax
        >> file. It doesn't need to be long, but it should be a complex example of
        >> the language. Send it as an attachment to avoid the white space being
        >> messed up by the mail system.
        >>
        >> I would prefer one file per syntax, but it must be valid syntax. If one
        >> file is problematic (e.g., you can't concatenate small files without
        >> making it invalid), then a few files would be OK. A rough goal would be
        >> 1000 lines.
        >>
        >> At some later point we might also want to do performance measurements.
        >> Although I already have a few "bad" examples for that.
        >>
        >> IMPORTANT: I will distribute the collection of files, so that others can
        >> reproduce problems, do performance measurements, etc. Make sure your
        >> file has a copyright that permits this. Don't reveal any secrets,
        >> patents, trademarks, etc. A line stating that the Vim license applies
        >> should be sufficient.
        > With the few files I received I already found two bugs in the new regexp
        > engine.
        >
        > But I received only 7 files. I need many more! So now asking everyone,
        > not just syntax file maintainers, to send me files for testing. Please
        > read the quoted text above for what the file should contain.

      • Rob Hoelz
        Message 3 of 6 , May 23 12:48 PM
          On Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:00:11 PM UTC+2, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > The plan is to include a new regexp engine in Vim 7.4. For testing
          >
          > I would like to get a lot of files for which we have syntax
          >
          > highlighting. I can then compare the highlighting of these files with
          >
          > the old and the new engine to find anything that is not compatible.
          >

          > Please send me a file that exercises most regexp patterns in the syntax
          >
          > file. It doesn't need to be long, but it should be a complex example of
          >
          > the language. Send it as an attachment to avoid the white space being
          >
          > messed up by the mail system.
          >

          > I would prefer one file per syntax, but it must be valid syntax. If one
          >
          > file is problematic (e.g., you can't concatenate small files without
          >
          > making it invalid), then a few files would be OK. A rough goal would be
          >
          > 1000 lines.
          >

          > At some later point we might also want to do performance measurements.
          >
          > Although I already have a few "bad" examples for that.
          >

          > IMPORTANT: I will distribute the collection of files, so that others can
          >
          > reproduce problems, do performance measurements, etc. Make sure your
          >
          > file has a copyright that permits this. Don't reveal any secrets,
          >
          > patents, trademarks, etc. A line stating that the Vim license applies
          >
          > should be sufficient.
          >

          > --
          >
          > This is the polymorph virus! Follow these instructions carefully:
          >
          > 1. Send this message to everybody you know.
          >
          > 2. Format your harddisk.
          >
          > Thank you for your cooperation in spreading the most powerful virus ever!

          Here's a post I made on the general mailing list:

          https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/vim_use/QU7mW9RWnLc

          If you comment out the set regexpengine statement, it breaks the folding entirely.

          -Rob

        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 6 , May 23 2:03 PM
            Rob Hoelz wrote:

            > Here's a post I made on the general mailing list:
            >
            > https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/vim_use/QU7mW9RWnLc
            >
            > If you comment out the set regexpengine statement, it breaks the
            > folding entirely.

            I'm only testing with the actual syntax highlighting.
            If you see a particular pattern that's not working, please make an
            example in this form:

            echo matchlist("t", '\%#=1ú\Z')
            echo matchlist("t", '\%#=2ú\Z')

            --
            Westheimer's Discovery:
            A couple of months in the laboratory can