Re: How to refresh (reload) an opened file?

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 13 , May 18, 2013
      On 2013-05-18 08:42, Sam Roberts wrote:
      > :e %
      >
      > e is edit
      > % is current file name

      The "%" is optional, as that's the default if you don't specify
      anything. If you've made unsaved changes to your current buffer,
      you'll need to "!" it:

      :e!

      Note that reloading loses things like the jump-list and undo history
      for the buffer, so it might be better to do something like

      :%d
      :$r %
      :0d

      which should keep at least preserve the undo history though the
      reload.

      -tim

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 13 , May 19, 2013
        On Saturday, May 18, 2013 4:20:48 PM UTC-5, Tim Chase wrote:

        > Note that reloading loses things like the jump-list and undo history
        >
        > for the buffer, so it might be better to do something like
        >

        > :%d
        >
        > :$r %
        >
        > :0d
        >

        > which should keep at least preserve the undo history though the
        >
        > reload.
        >

        > -tim

        As I mentioned back in February, if you have 'undofile' and 'undoreload' set properly, you can actually undo reading in the file if it abandoned your unsaved changes.

      • Tim Chase
        Message 3 of 13 , May 19, 2013
          On 2013-05-19 18:20, Ben Fritz wrote:
          > On Saturday, May 18, 2013 4:20:48 PM UTC-5, Tim Chase wrote:
          >> Note that reloading loses things like the jump-list and undo
          >> history
          >
          > As I mentioned back in February, if you have 'undofile' and
          > 'undoreload' set properly, you can actually undo reading in the
          > file if it abandoned your unsaved changes.

          Ah, I knew this thread sounded familiar, and I'd forgotten about
          that. I'm not sure why the thread was resurrected 3 months later o_O

          -tim