Re: How to refresh (reload) an opened file?

  • taco
    Message 1 of 13 , May 17, 2013
      :e
      On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:53:00AM -0800, Andy Richer wrote:
      > Hi vim Guru:
      > I opened a report file that is changed once I correct some code and
      > re-generate report.
      > Is there a way that I can do "refresh" or "reload" without quit the
      > re-open the file to see updated contents?
      > Thanks in advance
      > Andy Richer

      > For more information, visit [1]http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
      >
      > ---
      >
      > References
      >
      > 1. http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
      > 2. https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out

    • Sam Roberts
      Message 2 of 13 , May 18, 2013
        :e %

        e is edit
        % is current file name

      • Tim Chase
        Message 3 of 13 , May 18, 2013
          On 2013-05-18 08:42, Sam Roberts wrote:
          > :e %
          >
          > e is edit
          > % is current file name

          The "%" is optional, as that's the default if you don't specify
          anything. If you've made unsaved changes to your current buffer,
          you'll need to "!" it:

          :e!

          Note that reloading loses things like the jump-list and undo history
          for the buffer, so it might be better to do something like

          :%d
          :$r %
          :0d

          which should keep at least preserve the undo history though the
          reload.

          -tim

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 13 , May 19, 2013
            On Saturday, May 18, 2013 4:20:48 PM UTC-5, Tim Chase wrote:

            > Note that reloading loses things like the jump-list and undo history
            >
            > for the buffer, so it might be better to do something like
            >

            > :%d
            >
            > :$r %
            >
            > :0d
            >

            > which should keep at least preserve the undo history though the
            >
            > reload.
            >

            > -tim

            As I mentioned back in February, if you have 'undofile' and 'undoreload' set properly, you can actually undo reading in the file if it abandoned your unsaved changes.

          • Tim Chase
            Message 5 of 13 , May 19, 2013
              On 2013-05-19 18:20, Ben Fritz wrote:
              > On Saturday, May 18, 2013 4:20:48 PM UTC-5, Tim Chase wrote:
              >> Note that reloading loses things like the jump-list and undo
              >> history
              >
              > As I mentioned back in February, if you have 'undofile' and
              > 'undoreload' set properly, you can actually undo reading in the
              > file if it abandoned your unsaved changes.

              Ah, I knew this thread sounded familiar, and I'd forgotten about
              that. I'm not sure why the thread was resurrected 3 months later o_O

              -tim