Re: using >= 15 POST reqs per 4h? - no but why not insert glue?

  • Marc Weber
    Message 1 of 3 , May 17, 2013
      Hi Linda W,

      Thanks for your input

      we don't want to protect against people who really want to get us -
      because they always will.
      And if this happens - we also have to start reviewing each code of viml
      at vim.sf.net ..
      Luckily I don't know about trojans or the like yet (which does not mean
      that they don't exist)

      > How about setup some script generated, hidden dummy links
      > that are dynamically generated and don't respond -- (not 404's but
      > just keep the connection open and don't respond... force them to timeout).
      That will not be a problem either if they really want to get vim.sf.net

      Attackers may use stolen hardware - the game is always unfair.

      The idea was to protect against random bots who don't know what they are
      doing - just trying to spam the world.

      Such hidden links indeed could be used
      to detect both:
      - google (which might cause a bader rating, because site loads slowly)
      - attackers

      for google like bots rel="nofollow" could be tried.
      My goal ends at "make attackers have to use their human brain to attack
      vim.sf net" - otherwise keep out and the database clean.

      If Bram or John have additional notes I guess they'll reply, too.

      Marc Weber