Re: Problem with syntax/html.vim

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 17, 2013
      On 2013-05-17, glts wrote:
      > Gary,
      >
      > On Friday, May 17, 2013 8:32:36 AM UTC+2, Gary Johnson wrote:
      > > The highlighting is correct through the '--', but they incorrectly
      > > terminate the comment region. The following '"/' are highlighted as
      > > an error, as are '[endif]', and the </head> and </html> tags are
      > > highlighted as comments.
      > >
      > > The problem seems to be this line in $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/html.vim
      > > (dated 2012 Oct 05),
      > >
      > > syn region htmlCommentPart contained start=+--+ end=+--\s*+ contains=@htmlPreProc,@Spell
      > >
      > > which doesn't account for the possibility of '--' being anywhere
      > > within a string.
      > >
      > > I don't know enough about syntax highlighting to know how to fix it,
      > > though, and I would rather help the author with a solution than just
      > > point out the problem, so I thought I'd ask here if anyone knew of a
      > > solution. (I have Bcc'd the author.)
      >
      > Double dash isn't allowed in XML comments. I think the highlighting is
      > correct as it is.

      Thank you. Your answer prompted me to do a little research which
      confirmed it.

      http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.2.4
      http://stackoverflow.com/questions/442786/are-nested-html-comments-possible

      So, Outlook generates invalid HTML. What a surprise.

      I have a workaround, so I'll use that when syntax highlighting
      Outlook messages.

      Regards,
      Gary