Re: CoVim plugin

  • Guyzmo
    Message 1 of 6 , May 16, 2013
      Hello,

      On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 09:13:43AM -0300, Lucas Tadeu Teixeira wrote:
      > I stumbled upon this while on reddit. It's a plugin for collaborative
      > work on VIM. Like Google Docs, but for VIM (though it doesn't have
      > the cloud storage part).
      >
      > Here is the link:
      > http://www.fredkschott.com/post/50510962864/introducing-covim-collaborative-editing-for-vim
      >
      > Github repo:
      > https://github.com/FredKSchott/CoVim
      >
      > I still haven't had the chance to test it. Has anyone tried it yet?
      > It looks pretty interesting :-)

      It looks really nice, and talking about collaborative editions in
      vim, I'm currently writing a plugin that enables collaborative editions
      using Etherpad.

      http://github.com/guyzmo/vim-etherpad/

      I'm currently having some troubles finishing to port the Changeset
      library for operational tranformations from JS to python, but it does
      work 100% from server to client, and about 60-70% for the client to
      server updates.

      The advantage over CoVim is that it supports already existing
      collaborative editors, and enable one to work with non-vim users.
      Ultimately, I'd like the plugin to support not only etherpad, but
      also other kind of collaborative frameworks (like gobby and share.js).

      It may be also a good idea to merge my work with CoVim ultimately,
      to support both their system, and existing systems.

      Any help is welcome in improving that library, and I hope I'll come
      back soon to make a 1.0 anouncement ;-)

      Cheers,

      --
      Guyzmo

    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 6 , May 17, 2013
        Lucas Tadeu Teixeira wrote:

        > I stumbled upon this while on reddit. It's a plugin for collaborative
        > work on VIM.
        > Like Google Docs, but for VIM (though it doesn't have the cloud storage part).
        >
        > Here is the link:
        > http://www.fredkschott.com/post/50510962864/introducing-covim-collaborative-editing-for-vim
        >
        > Github repo:
        > https://github.com/FredKSchott/CoVim
        >
        > I still haven't had the chance to test it. Has anyone tried it yet?
        > It looks pretty interesting :-)

        Do they use their own server?

        I have been wondering if it can be made to work with the Google Drive
        API. They do have a Python implementation:
        https://developers.google.com/drive/quickstart-python

        At least I know that collaborative editing works amazingly well in
        Google docs.

        --
        TALL KNIGHT: Firstly. You must get us another shrubbery!
        OTHER KNIGHTS: More shrubberies! More shrubberies for the ex-Knights of Ni!

      • Oliver Rath
        Message 3 of 6 , May 23, 2013
          Hi list!

          Am 16.05.2013 14:13, schrieb Lucas Tadeu Teixeira:
          > I stumbled upon this while on reddit. It's a plugin for collaborative
          > work on VIM.
          > Like Google Docs, but for VIM (though it doesn't have the cloud storage part).
          >
          > Here is the link:
          > http://www.fredkschott.com/post/50510962864/introducing-covim-collaborative-editing-for-vim
          >
          > Github repo:
          > https://github.com/FredKSchott/CoVim
          >
          > I still haven't had the chance to test it. Has anyone tried it yet?
          > It looks pretty interesting :-)

          Ive tested it now. It works well under certain circumstances, BUT

          - It doesnt work in gvim (only vim), tested on Ubuntu 13.04. With gvim
          it hangs after connecting to the server
          - If i disconnect the CoVim-Server, I can't quit vim (it hangs, have
          to kill -9 ..).
          - It doesn't sync properly, if i open an document (you have to
          scroll down first)
          - I can't see (i.e. by color), which part was edited by whom

          So i thing, it is supposedly in an alpha stage at the moment.

          Regards,
          Oliver