CoVim plugin

  • Lucas Tadeu Teixeira
    Message 1 of 6 , May 16, 2013
      I stumbled upon this while on reddit. It's a plugin for collaborative
      work on VIM.
      Like Google Docs, but for VIM (though it doesn't have the cloud storage part).

      Here is the link:
      http://www.fredkschott.com/post/50510962864/introducing-covim-collaborative-editing-for-vim

      Github repo:
      https://github.com/FredKSchott/CoVim

      I still haven't had the chance to test it. Has anyone tried it yet?
      It looks pretty interesting :-)

      --
      Lucas Tadeu Teixeira
      Computer Science

    • Asis Hallab
      Message 2 of 6 , May 16, 2013
        Dear Lucas,

        have you tried TMUX?

        TMUX enables multiple users to log into a single session, so that
        everyone can edit any document opened in Vim and meanwhile see, what
        the other users are typing…

        Cheers!

        2013/5/16 Lucas Tadeu Teixeira <lucas.tadeuteixeira@...>:
        > I stumbled upon this while on reddit. It's a plugin for collaborative
        > work on VIM.
        > Like Google Docs, but for VIM (though it doesn't have the cloud storage part).
        >
        > Here is the link:
        > http://www.fredkschott.com/post/50510962864/introducing-covim-collaborative-editing-for-vim
        >
        > Github repo:
        > https://github.com/FredKSchott/CoVim
        >
        > I still haven't had the chance to test it. Has anyone tried it yet?
        > It looks pretty interesting :-)
        >
        > --
        > Lucas Tadeu Teixeira
        > Computer Science
        > University of Campinas - Unicamp

        > ---

      • Guyzmo
        Message 3 of 6 , May 16, 2013
          Hello,

          On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 09:13:43AM -0300, Lucas Tadeu Teixeira wrote:
          > I stumbled upon this while on reddit. It's a plugin for collaborative
          > work on VIM. Like Google Docs, but for VIM (though it doesn't have
          > the cloud storage part).
          >
          > Here is the link:
          > http://www.fredkschott.com/post/50510962864/introducing-covim-collaborative-editing-for-vim
          >
          > Github repo:
          > https://github.com/FredKSchott/CoVim
          >
          > I still haven't had the chance to test it. Has anyone tried it yet?
          > It looks pretty interesting :-)

          It looks really nice, and talking about collaborative editions in
          vim, I'm currently writing a plugin that enables collaborative editions
          using Etherpad.

          http://github.com/guyzmo/vim-etherpad/

          I'm currently having some troubles finishing to port the Changeset
          library for operational tranformations from JS to python, but it does
          work 100% from server to client, and about 60-70% for the client to
          server updates.

          The advantage over CoVim is that it supports already existing
          collaborative editors, and enable one to work with non-vim users.
          Ultimately, I'd like the plugin to support not only etherpad, but
          also other kind of collaborative frameworks (like gobby and share.js).

          It may be also a good idea to merge my work with CoVim ultimately,
          to support both their system, and existing systems.

          Any help is welcome in improving that library, and I hope I'll come
          back soon to make a 1.0 anouncement ;-)

          Cheers,

          --
          Guyzmo

        • Claus Atzenbeck
          Message 4 of 6 , May 16, 2013
            On Thu, 16 May 2013 at 5:52pm +0200, Asis Hallab wrote:

            > have you tried TMUX?
            >
            > TMUX enables multiple users to log into a single session, so that
            > everyone can edit any document opened in Vim and meanwhile see, what
            > the other users are typing…

            tmux is great, but does not support multiple cursors or different view
            ports on the document.

            Best,
            Claus

          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 6 , May 17, 2013
              Lucas Tadeu Teixeira wrote:

              > I stumbled upon this while on reddit. It's a plugin for collaborative
              > work on VIM.
              > Like Google Docs, but for VIM (though it doesn't have the cloud storage part).
              >
              > Here is the link:
              > http://www.fredkschott.com/post/50510962864/introducing-covim-collaborative-editing-for-vim
              >
              > Github repo:
              > https://github.com/FredKSchott/CoVim
              >
              > I still haven't had the chance to test it. Has anyone tried it yet?
              > It looks pretty interesting :-)

              Do they use their own server?

              I have been wondering if it can be made to work with the Google Drive
              API. They do have a Python implementation:
              https://developers.google.com/drive/quickstart-python

              At least I know that collaborative editing works amazingly well in
              Google docs.

              --
              TALL KNIGHT: Firstly. You must get us another shrubbery!
              OTHER KNIGHTS: More shrubberies! More shrubberies for the ex-Knights of Ni!

            • Oliver Rath
              Message 6 of 6 , May 23, 2013
                Hi list!

                Am 16.05.2013 14:13, schrieb Lucas Tadeu Teixeira:
                > I stumbled upon this while on reddit. It's a plugin for collaborative
                > work on VIM.
                > Like Google Docs, but for VIM (though it doesn't have the cloud storage part).
                >
                > Here is the link:
                > http://www.fredkschott.com/post/50510962864/introducing-covim-collaborative-editing-for-vim
                >
                > Github repo:
                > https://github.com/FredKSchott/CoVim
                >
                > I still haven't had the chance to test it. Has anyone tried it yet?
                > It looks pretty interesting :-)

                Ive tested it now. It works well under certain circumstances, BUT

                - It doesnt work in gvim (only vim), tested on Ubuntu 13.04. With gvim
                it hangs after connecting to the server
                - If i disconnect the CoVim-Server, I can't quit vim (it hangs, have
                to kill -9 ..).
                - It doesn't sync properly, if i open an document (you have to
                scroll down first)
                - I can't see (i.e. by color), which part was edited by whom

                So i thing, it is supposedly in an alpha stage at the moment.

                Regards,
                Oliver