Re: gVim - Integrated development environment

    Message 1 of 7 , May 14, 2013
      On 14/05/13 12:31, contact.opc0de.fr@... wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I write sources codes in differents languages, and I'm looking for several things about gVim:
      >
      > A plugin to create and manage my projects as an IDE (Visual Studio).

      not sure about that

      > A plugin to use GDB and also to put Breakpoints from the lines of sources codes in gVim.

      you mean to run your compiled programs? Not sure about that. Of course
      as a prerequisite, the compiler & linker would have to produce symbol
      tables in a format that gdb understands. Wouldn't it be easier to run
      gdb in its own terminal window? If you put that and gvim in one
      [virtual] desktop you could switch between them by Alt-Tab.

      > A plugin for the completion of sources codes, for example for functions and vars from libc, for functions and vars from extern lib and from my own sources files.

      Vim can already quite sophisticated completion, see ":help
      ins-completion". For languages not yet known by Vim you might have to
      write a filetype-plugin |new-filetype| with a :setlocal statement for
      'dictionary' (q.v.). Completion from your own sources can be done in
      several ways at the same time (other files currently being edited, tags,
      included files, dictionary, thesaurus, ...), see :help 'complete'

      > A plugin to build/compile a project.

      I think this one doesn't need a plugin, see ":help quickfix.txt" in
      general and its section 4 in particular. For source languages not yet
      known to Vim you may need to write a compiler plugin, see :help
      write-compiler-plugin

      > Thank you very much.

      HTH
      Good news. Ten weeks from Friday will be a pretty good day.

    • Willy Gfn
      Message 2 of 7 , May 14, 2013
        contact.opc0de.fr@... wrote:
        > A plugin to create and manage my projects as an IDE (Visual Studio).
        Hi. First of all, vim is NOT an IDE, it's a text editor.
        An IDE compiles many programs into a big one whereas vim is just a
        (powerfull) text editor with many features.
        For example, to see all your dirtree, :Sex or :Vex

        > A plugin to use GDB and also to put Breakpoints from the lines of sources codes in gVim.
        Keep in mind that vim has built-in functionnalities, you do not need a
        plugin for everything !
        I once known a way to set breakpoints from within vim. Anyway, in the
        same spirit, check :help quickfix. It gives you the errors issued from
        compilation and lets you navigate the lines that caused the errors.

        > A plugin for the completion of sources codes, for example for functions and vars from libc, for functions and vars from extern lib and from my own sources files.
        :help ins-completion | all built-in completion (really powerfull)
        :help ctags | generate tags file with ctags -R
        | then, :set tags=/path/to/you/tags
        :set omnifunc=syntaxcomplete#Complete
        <Ctrl-X><Ctrl-O> | will complete with tag file and syntax
        | specific stuffs.
        <Ctrl-X><Ctrl_I> | will complete with included files (stdio.h,..)

        > A plugin to build/compile a project.
        That's what Makefiles are made for :)
        :make to invoke makefile from within vim (note that 'make' can be tweak
        to launch something else than 'make', like gcc, javac, perl, etc...

        Obviously, those "built-in" function are well integrated into big
        plugin to make them *prettier* and *easier to use*:
        - project.vim
        - NERDTree.vim
        - BreakPts.vim
        - SuperTab.vim
        - SnipMate.vim
        - ...

        There are tons of plugins that do tons of things... BUT I suggest that
        you first learn VIM, the editor, the powerfull editor.
        Every thing done with a plugin can be done without it, with more or less
        pain... But if you find that a task you do frenquently is painfull, you
        might tough of creating a function or using a plugin.

        Please, try to do stuffs before relying on plugins. Your vim experience
        will be better :)

        > Thank you very much.
        You're welcome ;)

      • Charles Campbell
        Message 3 of 7 , May 14, 2013
          contact.opc0de.fr@... wrote:
          > (snip)
          >
          > A plugin to use GDB and also to put Breakpoints from the lines of sources codes in gVim.

          If you're using Linux, you can try gdbmgr
          (http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#GDBMGR).

          (snip)

          Regards,
          C Campbell

        • Erik Christiansen
          Message 4 of 7 , May 14, 2013
            On 14.05.13 15:30, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            > On 14/05/13 12:31, contact.opc0de.fr@... wrote:
            > >A plugin to use GDB and also to put Breakpoints from the lines of sources codes in gVim.
            >
            > you mean to run your compiled programs? Not sure about that. Of course as a
            > prerequisite, the compiler & linker would have to produce symbol tables in a
            > format that gdb understands. Wouldn't it be easier to run gdb in its own
            > terminal window? If you put that and gvim in one [virtual] desktop you could
            > switch between them by Alt-Tab.

            Some "integration" is within vim, but most is through the compatibility
            of unix tools. Over several decades, I've used vi/vim together with
            "exuberant ctags" for that IDE-ish jumping to function definitions
            across files, etc., within vim, and GDB or DDD in another terminal for
            debugging. Just use "-g" with gcc, for dubug info, and source-line
            debugging should be within your grasp.

            Someone said long ago, "Unix is the IDE", and I've found it to be true.
            (All the boxed-up commercial stuff lacks the unix mix & match freedom,
            because they need to be monolithic, to keep you prisoner.)

            Still, this:

            http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Use_Vim_like_an_IDE

            was the first google match for "vim gdb integration". There may be
            something there, if the freedom of separate xterms does not appeal.

            > >A plugin to build/compile a project.

            The tool is "make", preferably the gnu one:

            $ make --version
            GNU Make 3.8

            For integration with vim: :help make

            The O'Reilly "make" book is an easy way to get on top of it.

            To avoid disappointment, it is worth remembering that we are talking
            about Free Software. How you use the tools, and in what mix, is your
            free choice. A new user has to break himself in, if he has only
            used commercial packages previously.

            Good luck with the new challenge! (It is certain to be stimulating, and
            rewarding for the intellectually curious, and those who prefer freedom.)

            Erik

            --
            Emacs is a nice OS - but it lacks a good text editor.
            That's why I am using Vim. - Anonymous

          • Reid Thompson
            Message 5 of 7 , May 14, 2013
              On Tue, 2013-05-14 at 15:30 +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
              > > A plugin for the completion of sources codes, for example for
              > functions and vars from libc, for functions and vars from extern lib
              > and from my own sources files.

              see attached screenshots of vim and gvim utilizing clang_complete..

            • LCD 47
              Message 6 of 7 , May 14, 2013
                On 14 May 2013, <contact.opc0de.fr@...> wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > I write sources codes in differents languages, and I'm looking for
                > several things about gVim:
                >
                > A plugin to create and manage my projects as an IDE (Visual Studio).

                If you absolutely must use a huge, slow, buggy, convoluted machinery
                to accomplish some simple tasks:

                http://eclim.org/

                > A plugin to use GDB and also to put Breakpoints from the lines of
                > sources codes in gVim.

                You might consider doing it the other way around, with a GDB
                frontend that runs (g)vim when necessary:

                http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/

                But, again, if you must do it from Vim:

                http://pyclewn.sourceforge.net/

                (also see there for other similar projects).

                > A plugin for the completion of sources codes, for example for
                > functions and vars from libc, for functions and vars from extern lib
                > and from my own sources files.

                If the builtin completion is not enough for you, there are plenty of
                plugins around, ranging from nice and simple to huge, slow, and complex.
                Some popular choices:

                https://github.com/msanders/snipmate.vim
                https://github.com/c9s/perlomni.vim

                > A plugin to build/compile a project.

                The builtin make / quickfix works fine, but perhaps also take a look
                at Syntastic:

                https://github.com/scrooloose/syntastic

                /lcd