Re: Need a vim "hard mode" tutorial.

    Message 1 of 17 , May 13, 2013
      On 13/05/13 14:11, Erik Christiansen wrote:
      > On 13.05.13 05:58, Tim Chase wrote:
      >> Sounds like you could benefit from t/T/f/F/,/; which I use ALL THE
      >> TIME for horizontal navigation. I find it pretty easy to eyeball an
      >> infrequent letter and then type "2fj" to jump to the 2nd "j" after my
      >> cursor.
      >
      > I have tried that, particularly in recent times, but my eyesight is not
      > what it was when I was younger. I miss too many intervening characters,
      > except in the case of ','. Also, as soon as I use a search my bones
      > insist that it should work across line boundaries. That t/T/f/F do not
      > is so frustrating that I generally use it once or twice in a session,
      > then shift to '/', to reduce the swearing.

      I notice that I use /? and tTfF for different purposes: To get at the
      next "ship" (not "hardship" or "shipping") in the page I'll use
      /\<ship\> but to copy to the clipboard from the cursor to just before
      the next < on the line I'll use "+yt<

      IOW I don't think of tTfF as searches but as (horizontal) moves, similar
      to b and e (begin/end of word), 0 and $ (begin/end of line), etc. (And
      BTW for purists, I know that the exact converse of $ is not 0 but
      <Home>.) It's just that in the case of tTfF the destination of the move
      is not hardcoded, it's given as an argument.

      > Oddly though, I'm increasingly partial to using especially "cf".
      >
      >> If I miss, it's just a ";" ("not far enough") or "," ("too
      >> far") to continue in the corresponding direction.
      >
      > That would help a lot. I might try changing my habits.
      >
      >> I use them so often that it baffles me when I see people remap "," to
      >> be their map-leader, throwing away such fabulous functionality. :-)

      There are really few unused key bindings in Vim. For my own mappings, I
      try to err on the side of safety, using only <F2> to <F9>, <F11>, <F12>
      and <S-F1> to <S-F12> for [the first key of] the {lhs} unless I
      intentionally want to override some known binding. Oh, and also, in
      Normal mode, non-ASCII keys like é§èçàùµ² (all of which exist as
      unshifted keys on my keyboard) and £ (Shift-µ) or ³ (Shift-²). If
      hard-pressed I might think of letters with circumflex or
      umlaut/diaeresis (both of which have been present as a dead key,
      respectively with and without Shift, on all AZERTY keyboards since the
      times of typewriters).

      > And once we're chained to a mapping by habit, it's hard to change.

      :-)

      > Erik

      Stop searching. Happiness is right next to you. Now, if they'd only
      take a bath ...