Re: Need a vim "hard mode" tutorial.

    Message 1 of 17 , May 13, 2013
      On 13/05/13 10:05, Asis Hallab wrote:
      > Dear Vimers,
      >
      > [...] For me Vim is about doing
      > the job of text editing efficiently. So getting to the place you want
      > to edit should be fast and easy. In spite of all the different
      > available movement commands I frequently find myself thinking, that in
      > a particular situation I might had gotten to the place I want to edit
      > faster using the mouse. After all searching or jumping to a a line
      > number easily require four to five key strokes.

      Well, you know what? Vim lets you use your mouse too, at least if it can
      get your mouse clicks, and that means in all versions of gvim and in
      many versions of Console Vim. Depending on the terminal, you may need to
      have the appropriate mouse feature compiled-in, for instance +mouse_gpm
      for the Linux text console with the gpm mouse helper running.

      Assuming of course that you aren't dead set on using Vim with only the
      keyboard.

      Of course, moving your hand from the keyboard to the mouse and back may
      take some time, even more time than moving it to <Esc> and back
      (mentioned somewhere else in this post) but not necessarily very much
      more than moving from the main part of the keyboard to the numeric
      keypad and back. Well, one advantage is that if you see the place where
      you want to go, which seems to be, let's say, "between seven and twelve
      lines down and between forty and sixty columns right" from where you are
      now, going there by mouse requires no complex thinking (which would also
      take time).

      [...]
      > Cheers!

      We call our dog Egypt, because in every room he leaves a pyramid.

      Message 2 of 17 , May 13, 2013
        On 13/05/13 14:11, Erik Christiansen wrote:
        > On 13.05.13 05:58, Tim Chase wrote:
        >> Sounds like you could benefit from t/T/f/F/,/; which I use ALL THE
        >> TIME for horizontal navigation. I find it pretty easy to eyeball an
        >> infrequent letter and then type "2fj" to jump to the 2nd "j" after my
        >> cursor.
        >
        > I have tried that, particularly in recent times, but my eyesight is not
        > what it was when I was younger. I miss too many intervening characters,
        > except in the case of ','. Also, as soon as I use a search my bones
        > insist that it should work across line boundaries. That t/T/f/F do not
        > is so frustrating that I generally use it once or twice in a session,
        > then shift to '/', to reduce the swearing.

        I notice that I use /? and tTfF for different purposes: To get at the
        next "ship" (not "hardship" or "shipping") in the page I'll use
        /\<ship\> but to copy to the clipboard from the cursor to just before
        the next < on the line I'll use "+yt<

        IOW I don't think of tTfF as searches but as (horizontal) moves, similar
        to b and e (begin/end of word), 0 and $ (begin/end of line), etc. (And
        BTW for purists, I know that the exact converse of $ is not 0 but
        <Home>.) It's just that in the case of tTfF the destination of the move
        is not hardcoded, it's given as an argument.

        > Oddly though, I'm increasingly partial to using especially "cf".
        >
        >> If I miss, it's just a ";" ("not far enough") or "," ("too
        >> far") to continue in the corresponding direction.
        >
        > That would help a lot. I might try changing my habits.
        >
        >> I use them so often that it baffles me when I see people remap "," to
        >> be their map-leader, throwing away such fabulous functionality. :-)

        There are really few unused key bindings in Vim. For my own mappings, I
        try to err on the side of safety, using only <F2> to <F9>, <F11>, <F12>
        and <S-F1> to <S-F12> for [the first key of] the {lhs} unless I
        intentionally want to override some known binding. Oh, and also, in
        Normal mode, non-ASCII keys like é§èçàùµ² (all of which exist as
        unshifted keys on my keyboard) and £ (Shift-µ) or ³ (Shift-²). If
        hard-pressed I might think of letters with circumflex or
        umlaut/diaeresis (both of which have been present as a dead key,
        respectively with and without Shift, on all AZERTY keyboards since the
        times of typewriters).

        > And once we're chained to a mapping by habit, it's hard to change.

        :-)

        > Erik

        Stop searching. Happiness is right next to you. Now, if they'd only
        take a bath ...