vim consume huge memory and can cause oom stty rows/columns 65535

  • jimmywang
    Message 1 of 4 , May 13, 2013
      vi developers,

      With the following setting, vi can consume up to 40GB on my Linux (64 bit) machine:

      stty rows 65535
      stty columns 65535
      vi /tmp/foo

      Please don't run as root as you may bring down your Linux machine (due to Out Of Memory).

      I think this need to be fixed. Let me know your thoughts.

      Regards
      Jieming

    • John Little
      Message 2 of 4 , May 13, 2013
        On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:57:45 AM UTC+12, jimmywang wrote:

        > With the following setting, vi can consume up to 40GB on my Linux (64 bit) machine:
        >
        > stty rows 65535
        > stty columns 65535
        > vi /tmp/foo

        Interesting.
        Are you sure that's vim? On my Kubuntu 13.04, vi gives me vim 7.3.547 "Huge version with GTK2 GUI" "Modified by pkg-vim-maintainers@..." and it clips lines to 1000 and columns to 10000, and only uses about 150 kiB.

        So, which Linux distro? And when you run "vi", what does

        :ver

        say? What does (in your shell)

        ls -l /etc/alternatives/vi

        say?

        Regards, John Little

      • jimmywang
        Message 3 of 4 , May 14, 2013
          On Monday, May 13, 2013 11:19:46 PM UTC-4, John Little wrote:
          > On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:57:45 AM UTC+12, jimmywang wrote:
          >
          > > With the following setting, vi can consume up to 40GB on my Linux (64 bit) machine:
          > >
          > > stty rows 65535
          > > stty columns 65535
          > > vi /tmp/foo
          >
          > Interesting.
          > Are you sure that's vim? On my Kubuntu 13.04, vi gives me vim 7.3.547 "Huge version with GTK2 GUI" "Modified by pkg-vim-maintainers@..." and it clips lines to 1000 and columns to 10000, and only uses about 150 kiB.
          >
          > So, which Linux distro? And when you run "vi", what does
          >
          > :ver
          >
          > say? What does (in your shell)
          >
          > ls -l /etc/alternatives/vi
          >
          > say?
          >
          > Regards, John Little

          John,

          This comes from redhat linux distro/CentOS.

          VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Jun 12 2009 07:08:36)
          Included patches: 1, 3-4, 7-9, 11, 13-17, 19-26, 29-31, 34-44, 47, 50-56, 58-64, 66-73, 75, 77-92, 94-107, 109, 202, 234-237
          Modified by <bugzilla@...>
          Compiled by <bugzilla@...>
          Huge version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):

          Thanks
          Jieming

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 4 , May 14, 2013
            Hi jimmywang!

            On Mo, 13 Mai 2013, jimmywang wrote:

            > vi developers,
            >
            > With the following setting, vi can consume up to 40GB on my Linux (64 bit) machine:
            >
            > stty rows 65535
            > stty columns 65535
            > vi /tmp/foo
            >
            > Please don't run as root as you may bring down your Linux machine (due to Out Of Memory).
            >
            > I think this need to be fixed. Let me know your thoughts.

            I see this too. Well, don't set your rows and columns to those insane
            values then.

            regards,
            Christian
            --
            Heute muß man seine Leute motivieren, anbrüllen allein nützt nichts mehr.