Re: Need a vim "hard mode" tutorial.

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 17 , May 13 11:35 AM
      On 2013-05-13 11:01, guyot.dam@... wrote:
      > You can use G<line_number> to get to the line you spotted.

      Just for the record, that's <line_number>G :-)

      > I would very much like to read about expert Vim users most used
      > movement commands and get more efficient in getting to the point I
      > want to edit.
      > After that I bought Drew Neil's book "Practical Vim: edit text at
      > the speed of thought".

      [disclaimer: I was one of the technical reviewers on Drew's text]
      It really is a good book for picking up tips on how to think in Vim's
      language, looking at things you do repeatedly and finding better ways
      to do them.

      -tim

      Message 2 of 17 , May 13 9:27 PM
        On 13/05/13 10:05, Asis Hallab wrote:
        > Dear Vimers,
        >
        > [...] For me Vim is about doing
        > the job of text editing efficiently. So getting to the place you want
        > to edit should be fast and easy. In spite of all the different
        > available movement commands I frequently find myself thinking, that in
        > a particular situation I might had gotten to the place I want to edit
        > faster using the mouse. After all searching or jumping to a a line
        > number easily require four to five key strokes.

        Well, you know what? Vim lets you use your mouse too, at least if it can
        get your mouse clicks, and that means in all versions of gvim and in
        many versions of Console Vim. Depending on the terminal, you may need to
        have the appropriate mouse feature compiled-in, for instance +mouse_gpm
        for the Linux text console with the gpm mouse helper running.

        Assuming of course that you aren't dead set on using Vim with only the
        keyboard.

        Of course, moving your hand from the keyboard to the mouse and back may
        take some time, even more time than moving it to <Esc> and back
        (mentioned somewhere else in this post) but not necessarily very much
        more than moving from the main part of the keyboard to the numeric
        keypad and back. Well, one advantage is that if you see the place where
        you want to go, which seems to be, let's say, "between seven and twelve
        lines down and between forty and sixty columns right" from where you are
        now, going there by mouse requires no complex thinking (which would also
        take time).

        [...]
        > Cheers!

        We call our dog Egypt, because in every room he leaves a pyramid.

        Message 3 of 17 , May 13 11:13 PM
          On 13/05/13 14:11, Erik Christiansen wrote:
          > On 13.05.13 05:58, Tim Chase wrote:
          >> Sounds like you could benefit from t/T/f/F/,/; which I use ALL THE
          >> TIME for horizontal navigation. I find it pretty easy to eyeball an
          >> infrequent letter and then type "2fj" to jump to the 2nd "j" after my
          >> cursor.
          >
          > I have tried that, particularly in recent times, but my eyesight is not
          > what it was when I was younger. I miss too many intervening characters,
          > except in the case of ','. Also, as soon as I use a search my bones
          > insist that it should work across line boundaries. That t/T/f/F do not
          > is so frustrating that I generally use it once or twice in a session,
          > then shift to '/', to reduce the swearing.

          I notice that I use /? and tTfF for different purposes: To get at the
          next "ship" (not "hardship" or "shipping") in the page I'll use
          /\<ship\> but to copy to the clipboard from the cursor to just before
          the next < on the line I'll use "+yt<

          IOW I don't think of tTfF as searches but as (horizontal) moves, similar
          to b and e (begin/end of word), 0 and $ (begin/end of line), etc. (And
          BTW for purists, I know that the exact converse of $ is not 0 but
          <Home>.) It's just that in the case of tTfF the destination of the move
          is not hardcoded, it's given as an argument.

          > Oddly though, I'm increasingly partial to using especially "cf".
          >
          >> If I miss, it's just a ";" ("not far enough") or "," ("too
          >> far") to continue in the corresponding direction.
          >
          > That would help a lot. I might try changing my habits.
          >
          >> I use them so often that it baffles me when I see people remap "," to
          >> be their map-leader, throwing away such fabulous functionality. :-)

          There are really few unused key bindings in Vim. For my own mappings, I
          try to err on the side of safety, using only <F2> to <F9>, <F11>, <F12>
          and <S-F1> to <S-F12> for [the first key of] the {lhs} unless I
          intentionally want to override some known binding. Oh, and also, in
          Normal mode, non-ASCII keys like é§èçàùµ² (all of which exist as
          unshifted keys on my keyboard) and £ (Shift-µ) or ³ (Shift-²). If
          hard-pressed I might think of letters with circumflex or
          umlaut/diaeresis (both of which have been present as a dead key,
          respectively with and without Shift, on all AZERTY keyboards since the
          times of typewriters).

          > And once we're chained to a mapping by habit, it's hard to change.

          :-)

          > Erik

          Stop searching. Happiness is right next to you. Now, if they'd only
          take a bath ...