ANN: OutlookVim 9.0

  • David Fishburn
    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2013
      OutlookVim is a plugin for Microsoft Windows Outlook users.

      It simply adds a button in Outlook which will spawn Vim, allow you to
      edit the body of the currently open email and when you :w, it will
      update Outlook with the results.

      There are more details, you can read about them here:

      New to version 9.0

      New Features
      ------------
      - Added new option, g:outlook_always_use_unicode, to override Outlook and force all emails to use utf-16le fileencoding.

      - Added new option, g:outlook_scan_email_body_unicode, to override whether messages will be scanned for unicode characters.

      - Added new option, g:outlook_debug, to turn on messages displayed to both Outlook and Vim.

      - Updated some of the messages displayed to be more informative.

      Bug Fixes
      ---------
      - Editing unicode emails did not reliably work with OutlookVim.

      - Unicode detection was not always correct in the Outlook Basic file.

      - Updated the codepage which Vim expects unicode messages from Outlook to be encoded in (András).

      - Added some additional changes to the VB code to support both 32-bit and 64-bit platforms (Paul).
      .

      As usual, with all my plugins, feedback good and bad is always welcome.

      Enjoy.
      Dave

    • Greg Dunn
      Message 2 of 2 , May 17, 2013
        Dave,
          I hit a snag when upgrading the outlookvim plugin.  You added the "PtrSafe" keyword to the .vba file at lines 77, 80, and 88, which is only compatible with VBA7 (I have Outlook 2007 / VBA 6.5).  An easy compatibility fix is shown here:

           #If Vba7 Then
           Declare PtrSafe Sub...
           #Else
           Declare Sub...
           #EndIf

        By the way, thanks for the great plugin.  I just grabbed it a few weeks ago and I love it.
        -- Greg