Re: empty bufname('%') for quick fix, location list and preview window.

  • Zhao Cai
    Message 1 of 9 , May 12, 2013
      Hello, :)

      `bufname('%')` for quickfix, location list and preview window are empty in my environment( MacVim ). Is it a bug? or by design? Do you have the same issue? or just me?

      Thanks if you can give me a hint.

      Zhao

    • Shlomi Fish
      Message 2 of 9 , May 14, 2013
        Hi Zhao,

        first of all:

        Please don't start a new topic by replying to an existing message, because
        this will put it under an existing thread in threaded, tree-like mailers.
        Instead, write a new message to boston-pm@... .

        The problem is that are the "In-Reply-To" headers:

        https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22in-reply-to%22%20header

        On Sun, 12 May 2013 16:49:23 -0400
        Zhao Cai <zhaocai@...> wrote:

        > Hello, :)
        >
        > `bufname('%')` for quickfix, location list and preview window are empty in my
        > environment( MacVim ). Is it a bug? or by design? Do you have the same issue?
        > or just me?

        :echo bufname('%')

        Seems to return the right thing for a regular file here on /usr/bin/gvim on
        Mageia Linux 3. Are you trying it on special buffers?

        Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 9 , May 14, 2013
          Hi Zhao!

          On So, 12 Mai 2013, Zhao Cai wrote:

          > Hello, :)
          >
          > `bufname('%')` for quickfix, location list and preview window are empty in my environment( MacVim ). Is it a bug? or by design? Do you have the same issue? or just me?

          Of course. The quickfix, location list and preview windows don't have
          names, unless you give them one (:h :file_f). But you usually don't need
          that.

          The main question is, why do you think you need the buffer name of a
          special window? So what problem are you really trying to solve?

          regards,
          Christian
          --
          Jede Generation lacht über Moden, aber folgt den neuen treu.
          -- Henry David Thoreau

        • Zhao Cai
          Message 4 of 9 , May 14, 2013
            Hi, Christian

            I should state the purpose in the original post. What I was trying to do is to tell the difference between location list and quick fix and make a local powerline theme for each of them. But I can not find the way to differentiate quick fix window from location list.

            Thanks.

            Cheers,
            Zhao

            On May 14, 2013, at 7:16 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:

            > Hi Zhao!
            >
            > On So, 12 Mai 2013, Zhao Cai wrote:
            >
            >> Hello, :)
            >>
            >> `bufname('%')` for quickfix, location list and preview window are empty in my environment( MacVim ). Is it a bug? or by design? Do you have the same issue? or just me?
            >
            > Of course. The quickfix, location list and preview windows don't have
            > names, unless you give them one (:h :file_f). But you usually don't need
            > that.
            >
            > The main question is, why do you think you need the buffer name of a
            > special window? So what problem are you really trying to solve?
            >
            > regards,
            > Christian
            > --
            > Jede Generation lacht über Moden, aber folgt den neuen treu.
            > -- Henry David Thoreau

            > ---

          • Christian Brabandt
            Message 5 of 9 , May 14, 2013
              Hi Zhao!

              On Di, 14 Mai 2013, Zhao Cai wrote:

              > I should state the purpose in the original post. What I was trying to
              > do is to tell the difference between location list and quick fix and
              > make a local powerline theme for each of them. But I can not find the
              > way to differentiate quick fix window from location list.

              Ah, I see the problem. The statusline for Quickfix Buffers contains '%t'
              which according to the help should output the buffer name, but the
              buffer name for quickfix and location lists is empty. That is, Vim
              treats those buffers special and in case of location and quickfix lists
              returns location list/quickfix list instead of the buffer name.

              Anyway, I am not aware of any option you can check to differentiate
              between quickfix and location lists. You could try to check the
              w:quickfix_title variable, it could give a clue.

              regards,
              Christian
              --
              Die Keuschheit wohnt weder in den obern noch untern Ständen - sondern
              in den mittlern.

            • Ben Fritz
              Message 6 of 9 , May 15, 2013
                On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:45:16 PM UTC-5, Christian Brabandt wrote:

                > Anyway, I am not aware of any option you can check to differentiate
                >
                > between quickfix and location lists. You could try to check the
                >
                > w:quickfix_title variable, it could give a clue.

                I did this differently. In an ftplugin file for "qf" type, I actually store off the current window number, call ":copen", and check to see whether the current window number is still the same. Note you need to have a guard variable to prevent recursion.

                if &buftype=='quickfix'
                if !exists('s:processing')
                let listbufnr = bufnr("%")
                let numwindows = winnr('$')
                let curwin = winnr()
                let s:processing = 1
                copen
                call setbufvar(listbufnr, 'errorlist_type', (curwin == winnr() ? quickfix' : 'location'))
                " close the quickfix list if it was closed when we began
                if numwindows != winnr('$')
                cclose
                endif
                " return to quickfix/location list
                exe curwin 'wincmd w'
                unlet s:processing
                endif
                endif

                Now b:errorlist_type holds the type of quickfix list.

              • Zhao Cai
                Message 7 of 9 , May 15, 2013
                  Thanks. That is one of a way to do it.

                  another way I notice it to parse the `ls` result. I have something like this in my environment (MacVim).

                  > 16 a- "[Location List]" line 0
                  > 17 %a- "[Quickfix List]" line 1

                  Do you get the same results?

                  Thanks.

                  On May 15, 2013, at 11:18 AM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

                  > On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:45:16 PM UTC-5, Christian Brabandt wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Anyway, I am not aware of any option you can check to differentiate
                  >>
                  >> between quickfix and location lists. You could try to check the
                  >>
                  >> w:quickfix_title variable, it could give a clue.
                  >>

                  > I did this differently. In an ftplugin file for "qf" type, I actually store off the current window number, call ":copen", and check to see whether the current window number is still the same. Note you need to have a guard variable to prevent recursion.
                  >
                  > if &buftype=='quickfix'
                  > if !exists('s:processing')
                  > let listbufnr = bufnr("%")
                  > let numwindows = winnr('$')
                  > let curwin = winnr()
                  > let s:processing = 1
                  > copen
                  > call setbufvar(listbufnr, 'errorlist_type', (curwin == winnr() ? quickfix' : 'location'))
                  > " close the quickfix list if it was closed when we began
                  > if numwindows != winnr('$')
                  > cclose
                  > endif
                  > " return to quickfix/location list
                  > exe curwin 'wincmd w'
                  > unlet s:processing
                  > endif
                  > endif
                  >
                  > Now b:errorlist_type holds the type of quickfix list.

                  > ---

                • Christian Brabandt
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 15, 2013
                    Hi Zhao!

                    On Mi, 15 Mai 2013, Zhao Cai wrote:

                    > Thanks. That is one of a way to do it.
                    >
                    > another way I notice it to parse the `ls` result. I have something like this in my environment (MacVim).
                    >
                    > > 16 a- "[Location List]" line 0
                    > > 17 %a- "[Quickfix List]" line 1
                    >
                    > Do you get the same results?

                    Not necessarily, since those strings can be localized.

                    regards,
                    Christian
                    --
                    Erst wenn es um unbedeutenden Kleinkram geht, werden
                    Auseinandersetzungen wirklich bitter.

                  • Zhao Cai
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 18, 2013
                      Noted. Sorry about that! Thanks.