To all syntax file maintainers: examples needed

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2013
      The plan is to include a new regexp engine in Vim 7.4. For testing
      I would like to get a lot of files for which we have syntax
      highlighting. I can then compare the highlighting of these files with
      the old and the new engine to find anything that is not compatible.

      Please send me a file that exercises most regexp patterns in the syntax
      file. It doesn't need to be long, but it should be a complex example of
      the language. Send it as an attachment to avoid the white space being
      messed up by the mail system.

      I would prefer one file per syntax, but it must be valid syntax. If one
      file is problematic (e.g., you can't concatenate small files without
      making it invalid), then a few files would be OK. A rough goal would be
      1000 lines.

      At some later point we might also want to do performance measurements.
      Although I already have a few "bad" examples for that.

      IMPORTANT: I will distribute the collection of files, so that others can
      reproduce problems, do performance measurements, etc. Make sure your
      file has a copyright that permits this. Don't reveal any secrets,
      patents, trademarks, etc. A line stating that the Vim license applies
      should be sufficient.

      --
      This is the polymorph virus! Follow these instructions carefully:
      1. Send this message to everybody you know.

    • ZyX
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11, 2013
        Note: currently my syntax file cannot handle all what is there correctly, neither can indentation script. I will eventually send patches for both of them.

      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 6 , May 18, 2013
          I wrote:

          > The plan is to include a new regexp engine in Vim 7.4. For testing
          > I would like to get a lot of files for which we have syntax
          > highlighting. I can then compare the highlighting of these files with
          > the old and the new engine to find anything that is not compatible.
          >
          > Please send me a file that exercises most regexp patterns in the syntax
          > file. It doesn't need to be long, but it should be a complex example of
          > the language. Send it as an attachment to avoid the white space being
          > messed up by the mail system.
          >
          > I would prefer one file per syntax, but it must be valid syntax. If one
          > file is problematic (e.g., you can't concatenate small files without
          > making it invalid), then a few files would be OK. A rough goal would be
          > 1000 lines.
          >
          > At some later point we might also want to do performance measurements.
          > Although I already have a few "bad" examples for that.
          >
          > IMPORTANT: I will distribute the collection of files, so that others can
          > reproduce problems, do performance measurements, etc. Make sure your
          > file has a copyright that permits this. Don't reveal any secrets,
          > patents, trademarks, etc. A line stating that the Vim license applies
          > should be sufficient.

          With the few files I received I already found two bugs in the new regexp
          engine.

          But I received only 7 files. I need many more! So now asking everyone,
          not just syntax file maintainers, to send me files for testing. Please
          read the quoted text above for what the file should contain.

          --
          BRIDGEKEEPER: What is your favorite colour?
          GAWAIN: Blue ... No yelloooooww!

        • Charles E Campbell
          Message 4 of 6 , May 18, 2013
            Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > I wrote:
            >
            >> The plan is to include a new regexp engine in Vim 7.4. For testing
            >> I would like to get a lot of files for which we have syntax
            >> highlighting. I can then compare the highlighting of these files with
            >> the old and the new engine to find anything that is not compatible.
            >>
            >> Please send me a file that exercises most regexp patterns in the syntax
            >> file. It doesn't need to be long, but it should be a complex example of
            >> the language. Send it as an attachment to avoid the white space being
            >> messed up by the mail system.
            >>
            >> I would prefer one file per syntax, but it must be valid syntax. If one
            >> file is problematic (e.g., you can't concatenate small files without
            >> making it invalid), then a few files would be OK. A rough goal would be
            >> 1000 lines.
            >>
            >> At some later point we might also want to do performance measurements.
            >> Although I already have a few "bad" examples for that.
            >>
            >> IMPORTANT: I will distribute the collection of files, so that others can
            >> reproduce problems, do performance measurements, etc. Make sure your
            >> file has a copyright that permits this. Don't reveal any secrets,
            >> patents, trademarks, etc. A line stating that the Vim license applies
            >> should be sufficient.
            > With the few files I received I already found two bugs in the new regexp
            > engine.
            >
            > But I received only 7 files. I need many more! So now asking everyone,
            > not just syntax file maintainers, to send me files for testing. Please
            > read the quoted text above for what the file should contain.

          • Rob Hoelz
            Message 5 of 6 , May 23, 2013
              On Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:00:11 PM UTC+2, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > The plan is to include a new regexp engine in Vim 7.4. For testing
              >
              > I would like to get a lot of files for which we have syntax
              >
              > highlighting. I can then compare the highlighting of these files with
              >
              > the old and the new engine to find anything that is not compatible.
              >

              > Please send me a file that exercises most regexp patterns in the syntax
              >
              > file. It doesn't need to be long, but it should be a complex example of
              >
              > the language. Send it as an attachment to avoid the white space being
              >
              > messed up by the mail system.
              >

              > I would prefer one file per syntax, but it must be valid syntax. If one
              >
              > file is problematic (e.g., you can't concatenate small files without
              >
              > making it invalid), then a few files would be OK. A rough goal would be
              >
              > 1000 lines.
              >

              > At some later point we might also want to do performance measurements.
              >
              > Although I already have a few "bad" examples for that.
              >

              > IMPORTANT: I will distribute the collection of files, so that others can
              >
              > reproduce problems, do performance measurements, etc. Make sure your
              >
              > file has a copyright that permits this. Don't reveal any secrets,
              >
              > patents, trademarks, etc. A line stating that the Vim license applies
              >
              > should be sufficient.
              >

              > --
              >
              > This is the polymorph virus! Follow these instructions carefully:
              >
              > 1. Send this message to everybody you know.
              >
              > 2. Format your harddisk.
              >
              > Thank you for your cooperation in spreading the most powerful virus ever!

              Here's a post I made on the general mailing list:

              https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/vim_use/QU7mW9RWnLc

              If you comment out the set regexpengine statement, it breaks the folding entirely.

              -Rob

            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 6 , May 23, 2013
                Rob Hoelz wrote:

                > Here's a post I made on the general mailing list:
                >
                > https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/vim_use/QU7mW9RWnLc
                >
                > If you comment out the set regexpengine statement, it breaks the
                > folding entirely.

                I'm only testing with the actual syntax highlighting.
                If you see a particular pattern that's not working, please make an
                example in this form:

                echo matchlist("t", '\%#=1ú\Z')
                echo matchlist("t", '\%#=2ú\Z')

                --
                Westheimer's Discovery:
                A couple of months in the laboratory can