Re: Vim warns of swap files in "/var/tmp/"

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 14 , May 11, 2013
      On May 10, 2013, at 7:41 PM, Ben Fritz wrote:

      > On Friday, May 10, 2013 5:42:59 AM UTC-5, Eric Weir wrote:
      >> Getting "swap file exists" warning. There are no swap files anywhere in my user directory. Then I notice the text of the warning:
      >>
      >> Swap file "/var/tmp/writing.taskpaper.swp" already exists!
      >
      > What is your 'directory' option set to? Is writing.taskpaper.swp related to a file you're editing, or a plugin?

      I don't know how to set a 'directory' option. Not in macvim preferences. To the best of my knowledge it's never been set on my system.

      writing.taskpaper.swp is associated with a file created by the taskpaper plugin. Taskpaper files have the extent 'taskpaper'.

      > Either you're editing a file in Vim that you already have open in another Vim, you had a Vim instance crash while editing that file before (but probably not, because you *said* you deleted the swap file), or you have a plugin creating swap files when it probably should not be.
      >
      > Try disabling plugins by launching Vim with the --noplugin option. If the problem goes away it might be a plugin. The name of the swapfile might give a hint as to which one.

      As reported in my initial response, I found the there were two other instances of vim running along with macvim. Since deleting the swap files at the weird location [/var/tmp/] and shutting down the two other instances of vim I no longer get "swap exists."

      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA USA
      eeweir@...

      "The most important thing is the tee-shirt."

      - Samara Alnafdage

    • Eric Weir
      Message 2 of 14 , May 11, 2013
        On May 10, 2013, at 7:46 PM, Ben Fritz wrote:

        > On Friday, May 10, 2013 8:34:03 AM UTC-5, Eric Weir wrote:
        >>
        >> Just now on the macbook I executed the vimwiki command to rename a link and it asked if I wanted to create a new folder on android file path. I thought maybe I'd accidentally copied the android .vimrc to the home folder on my macbook, but I checked and I had not. My vim [macbook] and vim touch [table] setups are identical except for the paths to folders need by my plugins. I assumed it was safe to sync the .vim folders between the two systems, but I'm guessing that it's not.
        >
        > Syncing .vim folders, if you do it right, is perfectly safe. Many people keep their .vim files on Bitbucket or Github or whatever and sync between computers and operating systems all the time.

        I assumed that to be the case, too, which was why I was syncing the setups on the two systems. But when I execute a command in *macvim* and am asked if I want to create a folder on an *android* path, I, in my naiveté, suspect that my macvim setup has somehow picked up something from my android setup. That seems to be confirmed by the fact that when I restored the backup of the .vim folder on the macbook I started getting what looked like macvim instead of what looked like gvim.

        >> I've disabled syncing between the tablet and the macbook and will go back into my backups before I started syncing the two systems and restore my .vim folder from there.
        >
        > How are you syncing things?

        Via SugarSync.

        Eric Weir
        eeweir@...

        "Any assurance economists pretend to with
        regard to cause and effect is merely a pose."

        - Emanuel Derman

      • Eric Weir
        Message 3 of 14 , May 13, 2013
          On May 11, 2013, at 6:08 AM, Eric Weir wrote:

          > On May 10, 2013, at 7:54 PM, Ben Fritz wrote:
          >
          >> On Friday, May 10, 2013 9:30:41 AM UTC-5, Eric Weir wrote:
          >>> On May 10, 2013, at 9:34 AM, Eric Weir wrote:
          >>> I've disabled syncing between the tablet and the macbook and will go back into my backups before I started syncing the two systems and restore my .vim folder from there.
          >>>
          >>> Actually, I had a copy that I created right before I started syncing with the tablet. I restored it.
          >>
          >> OK, so you are now pretty sure your .vim files are good (I guess we've moved on to a new issue...do you still get "swap exists" errors?)
          >>
          >>> I now get MacVim,
          >>
          >> Ummm...ok. What does this have to do with your .vim files? MacVim and gvim are different executables. Or are you just referring to a colorscheme?
          >
          > No longer getting "swap exists" after deleting them at "var/temp/". [How the hell did they get put there?] And I did discover after my initial post that there were two other instances of vim running in addition to macvim. [I know I had to have started them somehow, but how the hell did I do it? The only way I ever start vim is by starting macvim.]
          >
          > I understand that gvim and macvim are different executables. And they look different. [Tabs are displayed differently, e.g., and the font in use in what I am calling gvim was not the one I get with macvim.] I have no idea how my .vim files affected which vim was started. All I know is that when I restored the backup copy of the .vim folder I started getting macvim.

          At the limits of my knowledge and my wits end regarding the problems I've been experiencing I resorted to a "magical" fix---a shot in the dark---to see if I could get my key mappings back. I went into the time machine and restored by .vim folder and .vimrc from six weeks ago. It worked.

          If anyone has a clue why---or more importantly, why I started getting "swap exists" messages for swap files in '/var/tmp/', why macvim asked me if I wanted to create a file on an android path, why I stopped getting macvim and started getting gvim, why after restoring an older backup .vim folder I got macvim back, why after I got macvim back I still didn't have my key mappings---I would really be interested. I really would like to understand.

          I can't help thinking that the fact that I was synchronizing the '.vim' folders on my macbook and my android tablet had something to do with it, even though I don't understand how it could. Again, the only difference between the two setups was in the paths set in the .vimrc for files used by my plugins. In every other respect the setups were identical.

          Sincerely,
          Eric Weir
          Decatur, GA
          eeweir@...

          "You keep on learning and learning, and pretty soon
          you learn something no one has learned before."

          - Richard Feynman

        • Eric Weir
          Message 4 of 14 , May 13, 2013
            On May 13, 2013, at 11:41 AM, Eric Weir wrote:

            > If anyone has a clue why---or more importantly, why I started getting "swap exists" messages for swap files in '/var/tmp/', why macvim asked me if I wanted to create a file on an android path, why I stopped getting macvim and started getting gvim, why after restoring an older backup .vim folder I got macvim back, why after I got macvim back I still didn't have my key mappings---I would really be interested. I really would like to understand.

            Well, I've answered my own question, and it seems to have nothing to do with the synchronizing of the .vim folders on the macbook and the tablet.

            After restoring the .vim folder and the .vimrc from six weeks ago, I decided to see which one had given me back my keymappings. It was the .vimrc. So I decided to see if I could see what it was about the .vimrc that had done the trick. I compared the older .vimrc with the one previously in use.

            There was a *one character* difference. Somehow the initial 'i' got lopped off the insert mode remapping of jj to <esc>. I did it, of course. I have no idea how or when, but it had to be me.

            I don't know what I look like, but I'm feeling a little sheepish after all the "sturm and drang" of the last few days.

            Eric Weir
            Decatur, GA
            eeweir@...

            "Style is truth."