Re: Plans for Vim 7.4

  • Alice Wonder
    Message 1 of 17 , May 9, 2013
      On Thu, 2013-05-09 at 05:51 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > Hello Vim users,
      >
      > We are now at patch level 7.3.931. In a few weeks we would reach 999. I
      > don't want to find out what happens if we go over that, so it's time for
      > Vim 7.4!

      Forgive me if this is already addressed in a patch, I'm pretty much
      running a virgin 7.3 - I was planning to look through the patches at
      some point and make my own patch if I didn't find it.

      The color syntax for rpm spec files does not add color to the %check
      part of a spec file. It should be colored the same way as %prep %build %
      install %files etc. - my guess is a very easy thing to do.

    • ZyX
      Message 2 of 17 , May 9, 2013
        > 1. Include the Python patches that ZyX has created. This improves the
        > Vim API from the Python interface.

        I just wanted to write an RFC with new interfaces. These are even bigger changes, so it would be bad idea to start writing them without discussion. But these are unlikely to be written before the end of May.

      • Charles Campbell
        Message 3 of 17 , May 9, 2013
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > Besides that, if you are maintaining runtime files, please send me any
          > pending updates. I will not make big changes just before the release,
          > everything needs some time for testing. Let's set a deadline at the end
          > of May.

          Hello, Bram!

          Just to let you know to expect another netrw release. I've got a final
          exam to give and grade over the next few days and then I've got some,
          hopefully small, work to do for netrw. I hope to have it done after
          Wednesday of next week.

          Regards,
          Chip Campbell

        • Charles Campbell
          Message 4 of 17 , May 9, 2013
            Alice Wonder wrote:
            > On Thu, 2013-05-09 at 05:51 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            >> Hello Vim users,
            >>
            >> We are now at patch level 7.3.931. In a few weeks we would reach 999. I
            >> don't want to find out what happens if we go over that, so it's time for
            >> Vim 7.4!
            > Forgive me if this is already addressed in a patch, I'm pretty much
            > running a virgin 7.3 - I was planning to look through the patches at
            > some point and make my own patch if I didn't find it.
            >
            > The color syntax for rpm spec files does not add color to the %check
            > part of a spec file. It should be colored the same way as %prep %build %
            > install %files etc. - my guess is a very easy thing to do.

            * Read the top of the spec syntax highlighting file in your
            /usr/local/vim/vim73/syntax/spec.vim .
            * Send a note to the maintainer.

            Regards,
            C Campbell

          • lith
            Message 5 of 17 , May 9, 2013
              > I'd like to see the breakindent patch included.

              Yes, please!!!!!

            • Andy Spencer
              Message 6 of 17 , May 9, 2013
                On 2013-05-09 05:51, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                > Hello Vim users,
                >
                > We are now at patch level 7.3.931. In a few weeks we would reach 999. I
                > don't want to find out what happens if we go over that, so it's time for
                > Vim 7.4!

                How about the gvim port to GTK 3? I'll see if I can get that working if
                there's a chance it'll be merged.

              • h_east
                Message 7 of 17 , May 10, 2013
                  Hi, Bram and list

                  2013/5/9(Thu) 12:51:48 UTC+9 Bram Moolenaar:
                  > Hello Vim users,
                  >
                  > We are now at patch level 7.3.931. In a few weeks we would reach 999. I
                  >
                  > don't want to find out what happens if we go over that, so it's time for
                  >
                  > Vim 7.4!

                  In recent years, the resolution of the display device is up. But the statusline of Vim will remains 1 line.
                  So, I wrote multi-lined statusline patch.
                  But it has not been completed. (80% complete)
                  Patch:
                  https://gist.github.com/h-east/3158492/raw/97f28a9db549e6ac1a33eb4b9903c24795c14d68/vim_multi_statusline.patch
                  Specification:
                  English (See the patch of runtime/doc/options.txt)
                  Add 'statuslineheight' option. (global or local to window option)
                  Add '@' item to 'statusline' option.
                  Add has('multi_statusline') for Vim script
                  Japanese
                  https://github.com/vim-jp/issues/issues/225#issuecomment-8045983

                  Remaining works:
                  - Write more document for ':help'.
                  - When global and local option mixed use, often crashes Vim.
                  - <C-W>= is not equals window height.
                  - Add more test.
                  - Add feature to multi-lined tabline. (Optional)

                  Are you getting interested?

                  Best regards,
                  Hirohito Higashi

                • h_east
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 10, 2013
                    Ah, Sample screenshot attached.

                    Best regards,
                    Hirohito Higashi

                  • Tim Gray
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 10, 2013
                      On May 09, 2013 at 09:42 AM -0700, lith wrote:
                      >> I'd like to see the breakindent patch included.
                      >
                      >Yes, please!!!!!

                      I would also like to see the breakindent path included.

                    • vicky b
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 10, 2013
                        Something for Java ;)

                        On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Tim Gray <tgray@...> wrote:
                        On May 09, 2013 at 09:42 AM -0700, lith wrote:
                        I'd like to see the breakindent patch included.

                        Yes, please!!!!!

                        I would also like to see the breakindent path included.

                        Thanks & Regards
                         Vickyb

                      • Bram Moolenaar
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 21, 2013
                          Ron Aaron wrote:

                          > I know it's late to vote, but some sort of sane 'gdb' integration would
                          > be supremely useful. I haven't found any packages for this that don't
                          > involve a lot of setup.

                          There are several implementations, including my own "Agide".
                          Pick one that is the best and improve it...
                          Most likely it won't require more than a few changes inside Vim itself.

                          --
                          Corn oil comes from corn and olive oil comes from olives, so where
                          does baby oil come from?

                        • Klaus Rudolph
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 21, 2013

                            > Hello Vim users,
                            >
                            > We are now at patch level 7.3.931. In a few weeks we would reach 999. I
                            > don't want to find out what happens if we go over that, so it's time for
                            > Vim 7.4!
                            >
                            > The top five of the voting list:
                            > http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
                            >
                            > 1. add IDE features
                            > 2. add integration with Python instead of inventing more Vim script
                            > 3. fix all problems, big and small; make Vim more robust
                            > 4. improve syntax highlighting speed
                            > 5. add collaborative editing

                            BTW: Is there any upcoming support for c++11 especially indent of c++11 files? Syntax highlighting can be done by external systax files but the indenting could not be modified by users.

                            Regards
                            Klaus

                          • ZyX
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 22, 2013
                              > BTW: Is there any upcoming support for c++11 especially indent of c++11 files? Syntax highlighting can be done by external systax files but the indenting could not be modified by users.

                              Really? Check out :h 'indentexpr'. It could be modified, but you will either have to do some hacks relying on cindent() result or rewrite everything what is there in C code in other language.