Plans for Vim 7.4

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 17 , May 8, 2013
      Hello Vim users,

      We are now at patch level 7.3.931. In a few weeks we would reach 999. I
      don't want to find out what happens if we go over that, so it's time for
      Vim 7.4!

      The top five of the voting list:
      http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php

      1. add IDE features
      2. add integration with Python instead of inventing more Vim script
      3. fix all problems, big and small; make Vim more robust
      4. improve syntax highlighting speed
      5. add collaborative editing

      I can't possibly do all of that in a few weeks, but this is what I can do:

      1. Include the Python patches that ZyX has created. This improves the
      Vim API from the Python interface.
      2. Include the fast regexp engine patch that has been floating around
      for a long time. With some clever logic to fall back to the old
      regexp engine for patterns that might not work with the new one.
      3. Include lots of pending patches for bug fixes.

      Besides that, if you are maintaining runtime files, please send me any
      pending updates. I will not make big changes just before the release,
      everything needs some time for testing. Let's set a deadline at the end
      of May.

      I don't have a date set for the release. I'll include the mentioned
      changes and then we need some time for testing until it looks stable.
      And hopefully we don't go past 999 before that...

      --
      E M A C S
      s e l o h

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 17 , May 9, 2013
        Hi Ron!

        On Mi, 08 Mai 2013, Ron Aaron wrote:

        > > 2. add integration with Python instead of inventing more Vim script
        >
        > I hope this doesn't mean Python will be *required*. That would be a badness.

        Pretty sure not. I think the python interpreter will always be optional.

        regards,
        Christian
        --
        Wie viel Unsinn ist im Laufe der Zeit von Professoren gesagt worden!
        Warum sollen Studenten nicht auch einmal dummes Zeug reden.

      • Alice Wonder
        Message 3 of 17 , May 9, 2013
          On Thu, 2013-05-09 at 13:20 +0200, Christian Brabandt wrote:
          > Hi Ron!
          >
          > On Mi, 08 Mai 2013, Ron Aaron wrote:
          >
          > > > 2. add integration with Python instead of inventing more Vim script
          > >
          > > I hope this doesn't mean Python will be *required*. That would be a badness.
          >
          > Pretty sure not. I think the python interpreter will always be optional.
          >
          > regards,
          > Christian

          I'm not a VIM developer but there are many components to VIM that are
          only built if configure detects them (and they aren't specifically
          turned off by a switch), certainly any python bindings would be done the
          same way. Pretty standard for FOSS in general that has python bindings
          to make those bindings optional.

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 17 , May 9, 2013
            Hi Bram!

            On Do, 09 Mai 2013, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Hello Vim users,
            >
            > We are now at patch level 7.3.931. In a few weeks we would reach 999. I
            > don't want to find out what happens if we go over that, so it's time for
            > Vim 7.4!
            >
            > The top five of the voting list:
            > http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
            >
            > 1. add IDE features
            > 2. add integration with Python instead of inventing more Vim script
            > 3. fix all problems, big and small; make Vim more robust
            > 4. improve syntax highlighting speed
            > 5. add collaborative editing
            >
            > I can't possibly do all of that in a few weeks, but this is what I can do:
            >
            > 1. Include the Python patches that ZyX has created. This improves the
            > Vim API from the Python interface.
            > 2. Include the fast regexp engine patch that has been floating around
            > for a long time. With some clever logic to fall back to the old
            > regexp engine for patterns that might not work with the new one.
            > 3. Include lots of pending patches for bug fixes.

            I'd like to see the breakindent patch included.

            regards,
            Christian

          • Alice Wonder
            Message 5 of 17 , May 9, 2013
              On Thu, 2013-05-09 at 05:51 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > Hello Vim users,
              >
              > We are now at patch level 7.3.931. In a few weeks we would reach 999. I
              > don't want to find out what happens if we go over that, so it's time for
              > Vim 7.4!

              Forgive me if this is already addressed in a patch, I'm pretty much
              running a virgin 7.3 - I was planning to look through the patches at
              some point and make my own patch if I didn't find it.

              The color syntax for rpm spec files does not add color to the %check
              part of a spec file. It should be colored the same way as %prep %build %
              install %files etc. - my guess is a very easy thing to do.

            • ZyX
              Message 6 of 17 , May 9, 2013
                > 1. Include the Python patches that ZyX has created. This improves the
                > Vim API from the Python interface.

                I just wanted to write an RFC with new interfaces. These are even bigger changes, so it would be bad idea to start writing them without discussion. But these are unlikely to be written before the end of May.

              • Charles Campbell
                Message 7 of 17 , May 9, 2013
                  Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                  > Besides that, if you are maintaining runtime files, please send me any
                  > pending updates. I will not make big changes just before the release,
                  > everything needs some time for testing. Let's set a deadline at the end
                  > of May.

                  Hello, Bram!

                  Just to let you know to expect another netrw release. I've got a final
                  exam to give and grade over the next few days and then I've got some,
                  hopefully small, work to do for netrw. I hope to have it done after
                  Wednesday of next week.

                  Regards,
                  Chip Campbell

                • Charles Campbell
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 9, 2013
                    Alice Wonder wrote:
                    > On Thu, 2013-05-09 at 05:51 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                    >> Hello Vim users,
                    >>
                    >> We are now at patch level 7.3.931. In a few weeks we would reach 999. I
                    >> don't want to find out what happens if we go over that, so it's time for
                    >> Vim 7.4!
                    > Forgive me if this is already addressed in a patch, I'm pretty much
                    > running a virgin 7.3 - I was planning to look through the patches at
                    > some point and make my own patch if I didn't find it.
                    >
                    > The color syntax for rpm spec files does not add color to the %check
                    > part of a spec file. It should be colored the same way as %prep %build %
                    > install %files etc. - my guess is a very easy thing to do.

                    * Read the top of the spec syntax highlighting file in your
                    /usr/local/vim/vim73/syntax/spec.vim .
                    * Send a note to the maintainer.

                    Regards,
                    C Campbell

                  • lith
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 9, 2013
                      > I'd like to see the breakindent patch included.

                      Yes, please!!!!!

                    • Andy Spencer
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 9, 2013
                        On 2013-05-09 05:51, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                        > Hello Vim users,
                        >
                        > We are now at patch level 7.3.931. In a few weeks we would reach 999. I
                        > don't want to find out what happens if we go over that, so it's time for
                        > Vim 7.4!

                        How about the gvim port to GTK 3? I'll see if I can get that working if
                        there's a chance it'll be merged.

                      • h_east
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 10, 2013
                          Hi, Bram and list

                          2013/5/9(Thu) 12:51:48 UTC+9 Bram Moolenaar:
                          > Hello Vim users,
                          >
                          > We are now at patch level 7.3.931. In a few weeks we would reach 999. I
                          >
                          > don't want to find out what happens if we go over that, so it's time for
                          >
                          > Vim 7.4!

                          In recent years, the resolution of the display device is up. But the statusline of Vim will remains 1 line.
                          So, I wrote multi-lined statusline patch.
                          But it has not been completed. (80% complete)
                          Patch:
                          https://gist.github.com/h-east/3158492/raw/97f28a9db549e6ac1a33eb4b9903c24795c14d68/vim_multi_statusline.patch
                          Specification:
                          English (See the patch of runtime/doc/options.txt)
                          Add 'statuslineheight' option. (global or local to window option)
                          Add '@' item to 'statusline' option.
                          Add has('multi_statusline') for Vim script
                          Japanese
                          https://github.com/vim-jp/issues/issues/225#issuecomment-8045983

                          Remaining works:
                          - Write more document for ':help'.
                          - When global and local option mixed use, often crashes Vim.
                          - <C-W>= is not equals window height.
                          - Add more test.
                          - Add feature to multi-lined tabline. (Optional)

                          Are you getting interested?

                          Best regards,
                          Hirohito Higashi

                        • h_east
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 10, 2013
                            Ah, Sample screenshot attached.

                            Best regards,
                            Hirohito Higashi

                          • Tim Gray
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 10, 2013
                              On May 09, 2013 at 09:42 AM -0700, lith wrote:
                              >> I'd like to see the breakindent patch included.
                              >
                              >Yes, please!!!!!

                              I would also like to see the breakindent path included.

                            • vicky b
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 10, 2013
                                Something for Java ;)

                                On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Tim Gray <tgray@...> wrote:
                                On May 09, 2013 at 09:42 AM -0700, lith wrote:
                                I'd like to see the breakindent patch included.

                                Yes, please!!!!!

                                I would also like to see the breakindent path included.

                                Thanks & Regards
                                 Vickyb

                              • Bram Moolenaar
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 21, 2013
                                  Ron Aaron wrote:

                                  > I know it's late to vote, but some sort of sane 'gdb' integration would
                                  > be supremely useful. I haven't found any packages for this that don't
                                  > involve a lot of setup.

                                  There are several implementations, including my own "Agide".
                                  Pick one that is the best and improve it...
                                  Most likely it won't require more than a few changes inside Vim itself.

                                  --
                                  Corn oil comes from corn and olive oil comes from olives, so where
                                  does baby oil come from?

                                • Klaus Rudolph
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 21, 2013

                                    > Hello Vim users,
                                    >
                                    > We are now at patch level 7.3.931. In a few weeks we would reach 999. I
                                    > don't want to find out what happens if we go over that, so it's time for
                                    > Vim 7.4!
                                    >
                                    > The top five of the voting list:
                                    > http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
                                    >
                                    > 1. add IDE features
                                    > 2. add integration with Python instead of inventing more Vim script
                                    > 3. fix all problems, big and small; make Vim more robust
                                    > 4. improve syntax highlighting speed
                                    > 5. add collaborative editing

                                    BTW: Is there any upcoming support for c++11 especially indent of c++11 files? Syntax highlighting can be done by external systax files but the indenting could not be modified by users.

                                    Regards
                                    Klaus

                                  • ZyX
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 22, 2013
                                      > BTW: Is there any upcoming support for c++11 especially indent of c++11 files? Syntax highlighting can be done by external systax files but the indenting could not be modified by users.

                                      Really? Check out :h 'indentexpr'. It could be modified, but you will either have to do some hacks relying on cindent() result or rewrite everything what is there in C code in other language.