Re: Quickfix list with multi-line messages

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5, 2013
      On Sunday, May 5, 2013 8:48:36 AM UTC-5, Paws wrote:

      > Javac compiler returns output in multi-line
      >
      > format and I would like to show it in quickfix window.

      Vim may not DISPLAY quickfix entries on multiple lines, but Vim CAN parse multi-line compiler output. Vim then translates these multi-line outputs into a single-line entry. See :help errorformat-multi-line

      > Formatting is
      >
      > important because for example ^ sign is used to show exactly where the
      >
      > error is

      For this you need the %p item in :help errorformat

      > (for instance indicates place where class is missing, I know
      >
      > I can use signs or balloons). It looks like I need to take other
      >
      > approach and look for solution to show nicely formatted compiler
      >
      > output in one line.

      I'd also expect that something as common as javac would already have a compiler plugin. Have you tried setting the compiler to javac (with :compiler javac)? See :help :compiler. The default Vim distribution seems to include a javac plugin but I don't know anything about it beyond what's in the help. The help seems to indicate that the ------^ lines are parsed.