Open a template with cursor set on a specific line?

  • Gregory Caughey
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2013
      I've created a simple template to be called when invoking the Calendar plugin via Vim. I want to use this for Administrative Logging, so am using modeline to format and set the document environment. I want to automate the cursor position so it is placed after my header where the message body starts. Can I make Vim (7.3.*) behave this way?
      Thanks, Greg

    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 2013
        On 2013-05-05 10:13, Gregory Caughey wrote:
        > I've created a simple template to be called when invoking the
        > Calendar plugin via Vim. I want to use this for Administrative
        > Logging, so am using modeline to format and set the document
        > environment. I want to automate the cursor position so it is placed
        > after my header where the message body starts. Can I make Vim
        > (7.3.*) behave this way? Thanks, Greg

        The short answer is almost positively yes.

        Longer answer:

        1) I'm not familiar with the Calendar plugin, and
        2) you don't mention how the header and body are delimited, and
        3) it likely can't be done via a modeline alone, but

        taking that into consideration, you can do something like (or add to
        your vimrc)

        :autocmd BufRead my_calendar_file_glob*.txt /========/+

        where, in this case "/=======/" is some pattern that finds the
        delimiter. The "+" just moves the cursor to the line following the
        delimiter. If the file was a Maildir file, it would have a bunch of
        headers, then a blank line, then the body, so you'd use

        /^$/+

        to put the cursor on the line following the blank line (the first
        line of the body).

        There might be a wrinkle if the Calendar plugin has its own BufRead
        events that might clash, or if it's harder to pinpoint your file with
        a particular file-glob.

        With a few more details, it might be possible to nail down a more
        definitive solution.

        -tim