Re: Its about you - what about a github based wiki ? - demo ready

  • Marc Weber
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2013
      Excerpts from Christian Brabandt's message of Sun May 05 20:57:02 +0200 2013:
      > Well, there is wikipediafs┬╣, but this project seems dead and I couldn't
      > convince it to either mount the wikipedia.org nor vim.wikia. So I would
      > say, it doesn't seem to be working currently.
      Thanks for this input - if somebody is going to pay me - I'll start
      maintaining that piece of code - if nobody does - it has to work
      or I will try to get the job done only - trying to provide a wiki
      with replies about questions I was asked.

      How would you integrate important features such as a simple feature
      comparison into media wiki?

      While describing "tables" is possible, its hard to read using a text
      editor:
      http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Tables/de
      Is it easy to patch mediawiki to achieve the same I did with a couple of
      PHP lines?

      I've added some minimal styling - so that you get an idea how the wiki
      could look like (if you all just contributed telling me you also think
      its the most convenient way to go into the future ..)

      So whenever you have a question about Vim which either is answered on
      irc, or on the mailinglist - or you digg up the reply yourself, consider
      contributing.

      If you've compared a couple of scripts doing the same - consider adding
      a short comparison - its dead simple: Create a list of features, assign
      them to the solutions you've found, push - feel happy that your work
      will help others.

      Eg the text snippets article about snippet engines is an example.

      Maybe this idea fails - maybe not. I have to give it try. It also
      depends on you - the community.

      Marc Weber

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 6 , May 6, 2013
        Christian Brabandt wrote:
        > Well, there is wikipediafs┬╣, but this project seems dead and
        > I couldn't convince it to either mount the wikipedia.org nor
        > vim.wikia. So I would say, it doesn't seem to be working currently.
        >
        > ┬╣) http://wikipediafs.sourceforge.net/

        I played with that a few years ago. I forget exactly what the
        problems were, but it was not usable. I think the main issue was
        that it was too easy to write to the wiki (if you do anything in
        Vim which writes the file, it gets written to the wiki). You
        really need to preview stuff because it is easy to mess up the
        simplest markup system.

        I also tried a couple of the "edit with Vim" schemes which
        invoke Vim when a web browser opens an edit window. I found them
        too klunky. Most of my wiki editing does occur in Vim, but I
        prefer to just copy/paste between a running Vim and the browser
        edit window.

        John