Re: Its about you - what about a github based wiki ? - demo ready

  • Marc Weber
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2013
      Excerpts from Ben Fritz's message of Sun May 05 15:23:33 +0200 2013:
      > I personally think it's a mistake to create our own wiki from scratch
      > when mediawiki is already available on wikia, with the ability for
      > anonymous write access with spam control tools.
      You think - who knows? If the experiment fails - I'd be willing to take
      the consequences and contribute to wikia's wiki - even though I dislike
      its ads - and I dislike using web. My internet connection is slow, so
      using any API will always slow me down.

      > I like the idea of editing in Vim.
      Now you have to decide on which property is more important to you -
      unless somebody tells us how to mount wikia so that we can edit using
      Vim.

      Wikia fails right away:
      1) "Policies and how to editt"
      2) at the bottom !! "Tutorial for editing wiki pages"
      3) -> nice videos by wikia - unlikely to tell me how to use Vim
      hits

      Trying wikia searcha "editing wikia vim" and "editing wiki vim"
      -> "editing moin moin files with folding" is closest I find.

      Last attempt google: "editing wikia vim" - having read 10 items I fail -
      giving up.

      So wikia failed at the most important habit for Vim users - telling them
      how to use Vim.

      > I understand there's a way to get a filesystem dump of all the wikia
      > pages.
      Maybe somebody tells me how. I tried finding out myself, but I failed
      spending reasonable time.

      > I'd rather see efforts into improving the use of Vim with and the
      > documentation of these features if they still exist.
      And what if they don't ? What if we (as community) don't have control
      over it?

      The PHP code turning the text files into HTML is about 380 lines long.
      We know what is happening, updating the wiki is as much work as running
      PHP once, and using rsync.

      Everybody can have it on disk and browse it offline. How do you do that
      with wikia !?

      The big question is: Is the community fine with running this experiment
      - and stopping it again if it fails? There is not much to loose.

      Worst thing which could happen is stopping it again - due to lack of
      contributions.

      Now think about it how your choice would be - if don't find a way to
      mount wikia - and tell us.

      For different reasons dropping wikia is not an option - eg google has
      it in its index - giving that upthat would be stupid.

      Marc Weber

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2013
        On So, 05 Mai 2013, Ben Fritz wrote:

        > I understand there's a way to get a filesystem dump of all the wikia
        > pages. Once I think there was even a way to mount the wiki as a
        > filesystem (at least on Linux).

        Well, there is wikipediafs¹, but this project seems dead and I couldn't
        convince it to either mount the wikipedia.org nor vim.wikia. So I would
        say, it doesn't seem to be working currently.

        ¹) http://wikipediafs.sourceforge.net/

        regards,
        Christian
        --
        Denken und wissen sollten immer gleichen Schritt halten.
        Das Wissen bleibt sonst tot und unfruchtbar.

      • Marc Weber
        Message 3 of 6 , May 5, 2013
          Excerpts from Christian Brabandt's message of Sun May 05 20:57:02 +0200 2013:
          > Well, there is wikipediafs¹, but this project seems dead and I couldn't
          > convince it to either mount the wikipedia.org nor vim.wikia. So I would
          > say, it doesn't seem to be working currently.
          Thanks for this input - if somebody is going to pay me - I'll start
          maintaining that piece of code - if nobody does - it has to work
          or I will try to get the job done only - trying to provide a wiki
          with replies about questions I was asked.

          How would you integrate important features such as a simple feature
          comparison into media wiki?

          While describing "tables" is possible, its hard to read using a text
          editor:
          http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Tables/de
          Is it easy to patch mediawiki to achieve the same I did with a couple of
          PHP lines?

          I've added some minimal styling - so that you get an idea how the wiki
          could look like (if you all just contributed telling me you also think
          its the most convenient way to go into the future ..)

          So whenever you have a question about Vim which either is answered on
          irc, or on the mailinglist - or you digg up the reply yourself, consider
          contributing.

          If you've compared a couple of scripts doing the same - consider adding
          a short comparison - its dead simple: Create a list of features, assign
          them to the solutions you've found, push - feel happy that your work
          will help others.

          Eg the text snippets article about snippet engines is an example.

          Maybe this idea fails - maybe not. I have to give it try. It also
          depends on you - the community.

          Marc Weber

        • John Beckett
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6, 2013
            Christian Brabandt wrote:
            > Well, there is wikipediafs¹, but this project seems dead and
            > I couldn't convince it to either mount the wikipedia.org nor
            > vim.wikia. So I would say, it doesn't seem to be working currently.
            >
            > ¹) http://wikipediafs.sourceforge.net/

            I played with that a few years ago. I forget exactly what the
            problems were, but it was not usable. I think the main issue was
            that it was too easy to write to the wiki (if you do anything in
            Vim which writes the file, it gets written to the wiki). You
            really need to preview stuff because it is easy to mess up the
            simplest markup system.

            I also tried a couple of the "edit with Vim" schemes which
            invoke Vim when a web browser opens an edit window. I found them
            too klunky. Most of my wiki editing does occur in Vim, but I
            prefer to just copy/paste between a running Vim and the browser
            edit window.

            John