Re: Quickfix list with multi-line messages

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5 6:14 AM
      On Saturday, May 4, 2013 3:59:06 PM UTC-5, Paws wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > Is it possible to add to quicklist message which will be show in multiple lines?
      > (I do not want to break line when it is too long)
      >
      > Example:
      >
      > :call setqflist([{'bufnr': bufnr(''), 'lnum': 42, 'text': 'entry'}], 'a')
      >

      > This will add new line with text: "entry". Could "entry" by displayed in two lines?
      >
      > I tried below lines but I was not able to achieve desired result:
      >
      > :call setqflist([{'bufnr': bufnr(''), 'lnum': 42, 'text': 'ent\nry'}], 'a')
      >

      > :call setqflist([{'bufnr': bufnr(''), 'lnum': 42, 'text': 'ent<CR>ry'}], 'a')
      >

      > Thanks,
      >
      > Marcin

      I don't think you can make a quickfix entry that spans multiple lines. When i have long quickfix messages, I normally just ":setl nolist wrap linebreak" on the quickfix window.

      I also have "showbreak" set to something in my .vimrc.

    • Paws
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5 6:48 AM
        Hello guys,

        Thanks for responses. It looks like what I am trying to achieve is
        currently not possible. Yes, I read I can wrap lines, this is why I
        added my comment in brackets in previous email. Just to let you know
        why I asked this question. Javac compiler returns output in multi-line
        format and I would like to show it in quickfix window. Formatting is
        important because for example ^ sign is used to show exactly where the
        error is (for instance indicates place where class is missing, I know
        I can use signs or balloons). It looks like I need to take other
        approach and look for solution to show nicely formatted compiler
        output in one line.

        Thanks,

        Marcin

        Message 3 of 5 , May 5 6:52 PM
          On Sunday, May 5, 2013 8:48:36 AM UTC-5, Paws wrote:

          > Javac compiler returns output in multi-line
          >
          > format and I would like to show it in quickfix window.

          Vim may not DISPLAY quickfix entries on multiple lines, but Vim CAN parse multi-line compiler output. Vim then translates these multi-line outputs into a single-line entry. See :help errorformat-multi-line

          > Formatting is
          >
          > important because for example ^ sign is used to show exactly where the
          >
          > error is

          For this you need the %p item in :help errorformat

          > (for instance indicates place where class is missing, I know
          >
          > I can use signs or balloons). It looks like I need to take other
          >
          > approach and look for solution to show nicely formatted compiler
          >
          > output in one line.

          I'd also expect that something as common as javac would already have a compiler plugin. Have you tried setting the compiler to javac (with :compiler javac)? See :help :compiler. The default Vim distribution seems to include a javac plugin but I don't know anything about it beyond what's in the help. The help seems to indicate that the ------^ lines are parsed.