Its about you - what about a github based wiki ? - demo ready

  • Marc Weber
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2013
      The future is agile - things change faster than ever.

      That's why I want to introduce a 'manually managed' wiki
      you can contribute to the way you love most: by using Vim.
      (Yes - that's my personal preference - maybe you share it)

      You can check it out:
      https://github.com/MarcWeber/vim-git-wiki/

      You can read more about it:
      https://github.com/MarcWeber/vim-git-wiki/tree/master/vim-online-wiki-source/this-wiki

      And of course there is a sample html representation
      http://mawercer.de/wiki/index.html

      Why yet another syntax? See http://mawercer.de/wiki/this-wiki/syntax.html
      its easy to learn.

      http://mawercer.de/wiki/this-wiki/design-goals.html explains why I chose
      to use custom syntax - because its most simple - and very editable by
      Vim.

      This is an alternative solution to wikia, which we all have loved for
      ages. But *I*'d like to use Vim for editing - and grep.
      Eg gf follows a link - what else do you need to be productive.

      A special feature is the "feature comparison matrix" as shown here:
      http://mawercer.de/wiki/topic/vim%20plugin%20managment.html
      -> "VAM, Pathogen, Vundle comparison"
      source: https://github.com/MarcWeber/vim-git-wiki/blob/master/vim-online-wiki-source/topic/vim%20plugin%20managment#L38

      I'd like to create such overviews for different topics. Also for
      snippet engines etc - so that you can decide upon testing something new
      easily.

      Yes - some styling is still missing.

      One big difference will be that people contributing occasionally only
      will sent pull requests - which are likely to be reviewed.

      even though the repository is hosted on my github account (at the
      moment), I'd like to grant push access to many others if so desired.

      The big question is: How do you feel about using git/Vim to provide
      value to each other by documenting which workflows, tools, setups you
      like most?

      Yes - this is my preference. So if you think differently, also consider
      replying.

      I feel sorry that I don't have time to write up the perfec solution -
      what this could be - I tried documenting here:
      http://mawercer.de/wiki/this-wiki/alternatives.html

      I'd like to spent my free time on making Vim read plugin/*.py
      plugin/*.rb files natively - thus making alternative scripting languages
      first class citizens ..

      Thanks for replying - yes - you all know that I've been trying to find
      the perfect solution for too long. Its time to change something.

      What about windows users & git? Well - AFAIK github supports a SVN
      bridge, I never tried it though.

      If you don't want to checkout and patch - you can just file a bug report
      and make the supporters do the change for you.

      Sincerly
      Marc Weber

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2013
        On Saturday, May 4, 2013 9:19:21 PM UTC-5, MarcWeber wrote:

        > The big question is: How do you feel about using git/Vim to provide
        >
        > value to each other by documenting which workflows, tools, setups you
        >
        > like most?

        I personally think it's a mistake to create our own wiki from scratch when mediawiki is already available on wikia, with the ability for anonymous write access with spam control tools.

        I like the idea of editing in Vim.

        I understand there's a way to get a filesystem dump of all the wikia pages. Once I think there was even a way to mount the wiki as a filesystem (at least on Linux).

        I'd rather see efforts into improving the use of Vim with and the documentation of these features if they still exist.

        > What about windows users & git? Well - AFAIK github supports a SVN
        >
        > bridge, I never tried it though.

        Since you've gone ahead and made the Github "wiki" anyway...Github also has a "clone in Windows" tool, and there are official git clients for Windows. I'm not a fan of the official GUI but the command-line is there and completely functional.

      • Marc Weber
        Message 3 of 6 , May 5, 2013
          Excerpts from Ben Fritz's message of Sun May 05 15:23:33 +0200 2013:
          > I personally think it's a mistake to create our own wiki from scratch
          > when mediawiki is already available on wikia, with the ability for
          > anonymous write access with spam control tools.
          You think - who knows? If the experiment fails - I'd be willing to take
          the consequences and contribute to wikia's wiki - even though I dislike
          its ads - and I dislike using web. My internet connection is slow, so
          using any API will always slow me down.

          > I like the idea of editing in Vim.
          Now you have to decide on which property is more important to you -
          unless somebody tells us how to mount wikia so that we can edit using
          Vim.

          Wikia fails right away:
          1) "Policies and how to editt"
          2) at the bottom !! "Tutorial for editing wiki pages"
          3) -> nice videos by wikia - unlikely to tell me how to use Vim
          hits

          Trying wikia searcha "editing wikia vim" and "editing wiki vim"
          -> "editing moin moin files with folding" is closest I find.

          Last attempt google: "editing wikia vim" - having read 10 items I fail -
          giving up.

          So wikia failed at the most important habit for Vim users - telling them
          how to use Vim.

          > I understand there's a way to get a filesystem dump of all the wikia
          > pages.
          Maybe somebody tells me how. I tried finding out myself, but I failed
          spending reasonable time.

          > I'd rather see efforts into improving the use of Vim with and the
          > documentation of these features if they still exist.
          And what if they don't ? What if we (as community) don't have control
          over it?

          The PHP code turning the text files into HTML is about 380 lines long.
          We know what is happening, updating the wiki is as much work as running
          PHP once, and using rsync.

          Everybody can have it on disk and browse it offline. How do you do that
          with wikia !?

          The big question is: Is the community fine with running this experiment
          - and stopping it again if it fails? There is not much to loose.

          Worst thing which could happen is stopping it again - due to lack of
          contributions.

          Now think about it how your choice would be - if don't find a way to
          mount wikia - and tell us.

          For different reasons dropping wikia is not an option - eg google has
          it in its index - giving that upthat would be stupid.

          Marc Weber

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 6 , May 5, 2013
            On So, 05 Mai 2013, Ben Fritz wrote:

            > I understand there's a way to get a filesystem dump of all the wikia
            > pages. Once I think there was even a way to mount the wiki as a
            > filesystem (at least on Linux).

            Well, there is wikipediafs¹, but this project seems dead and I couldn't
            convince it to either mount the wikipedia.org nor vim.wikia. So I would
            say, it doesn't seem to be working currently.

            ¹) http://wikipediafs.sourceforge.net/

            regards,
            Christian
            --
            Denken und wissen sollten immer gleichen Schritt halten.
            Das Wissen bleibt sonst tot und unfruchtbar.

          • Marc Weber
            Message 5 of 6 , May 5, 2013
              Excerpts from Christian Brabandt's message of Sun May 05 20:57:02 +0200 2013:
              > Well, there is wikipediafs¹, but this project seems dead and I couldn't
              > convince it to either mount the wikipedia.org nor vim.wikia. So I would
              > say, it doesn't seem to be working currently.
              Thanks for this input - if somebody is going to pay me - I'll start
              maintaining that piece of code - if nobody does - it has to work
              or I will try to get the job done only - trying to provide a wiki
              with replies about questions I was asked.

              How would you integrate important features such as a simple feature
              comparison into media wiki?

              While describing "tables" is possible, its hard to read using a text
              editor:
              http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Tables/de
              Is it easy to patch mediawiki to achieve the same I did with a couple of
              PHP lines?

              I've added some minimal styling - so that you get an idea how the wiki
              could look like (if you all just contributed telling me you also think
              its the most convenient way to go into the future ..)

              So whenever you have a question about Vim which either is answered on
              irc, or on the mailinglist - or you digg up the reply yourself, consider
              contributing.

              If you've compared a couple of scripts doing the same - consider adding
              a short comparison - its dead simple: Create a list of features, assign
              them to the solutions you've found, push - feel happy that your work
              will help others.

              Eg the text snippets article about snippet engines is an example.

              Maybe this idea fails - maybe not. I have to give it try. It also
              depends on you - the community.

              Marc Weber

            • John Beckett
              Message 6 of 6 , May 6, 2013
                Christian Brabandt wrote:
                > Well, there is wikipediafs¹, but this project seems dead and
                > I couldn't convince it to either mount the wikipedia.org nor
                > vim.wikia. So I would say, it doesn't seem to be working currently.
                >
                > ¹) http://wikipediafs.sourceforge.net/

                I played with that a few years ago. I forget exactly what the
                problems were, but it was not usable. I think the main issue was
                that it was too easy to write to the wiki (if you do anything in
                Vim which writes the file, it gets written to the wiki). You
                really need to preview stuff because it is easy to mess up the
                simplest markup system.

                I also tried a couple of the "edit with Vim" schemes which
                invoke Vim when a web browser opens an edit window. I found them
                too klunky. Most of my wiki editing does occur in Vim, but I
                prefer to just copy/paste between a running Vim and the browser
                edit window.

                John