External callback

  • Gautier DI FOLCO
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2013
      Hi all,

      I their a way to launch "triggers" outside of ViM which can launch callback into ViM.
      Here my problem:
      I have a file that I am editing, I save my modifications (:w), outside of ViM I have guard (a ruby script which executes arbitrary program when files change) which executes my tests and generates a gcov file, then I want to automatically interpret this file via a function in ViM.
      I'm looking for a way to launch this function.

      For your help,
      Thanks by advance.

    • Marcin Szamotulski
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2013
        On 15:50 Sat 04 May , Gautier DI FOLCO wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I their a way to launch "triggers" outside of ViM which can launch callback
        > into ViM.
        > Here my problem:
        > I have a file that I am editing, I save my modifications (:w), outside of
        > ViM I have guard (a ruby script which executes arbitrary program when files
        > change) which executes my tests and generates a gcov file, then I want to
        > automatically interpret this file via a function in ViM.
        > I'm looking for a way to launch this function.
        >
        > For your help,
        > Thanks by advance.

        > ---

        yes there is a way. You can use --remote-expr (see :h --remote-expr) or
        --remote-send. Checkout also :help server-functions. The vim that you
        use has to be run with --servername switch (actually this only matters
        for the terminal vim). Not that you also need to send the vim
        servername to your ruby script (:help v:servername).

        Best regards,
        Marcin

      • Gautier DI FOLCO
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2013
          2013/5/4 Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...>Hi,
          yes there is a way.  You can use --remote-expr (see :h --remote-expr) or
           --remote-send.  Checkout also :help server-functions.  The vim that you
           use has to be run with --servername switch (actually this only matters
           for the terminal vim).  Not that you also need to send the vim
           servername to your ruby script (:help v:servername).

           Best regards,
           Marcin

          Thanks, it seems to be great.