Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Removing junk .swp files

Expand Messages
  • George Dinwiddie
    Mike, BPJ ... That rm -rf can be a bit destructive when run on a directory. I suggest find . -name *.swp -exec rm {} ; This won t check to see if the
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      Mike, BPJ

      On 5/1/13 3:11 PM, Mike Hume wrote:
      > You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.
      >
      > set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap
      >
      > If you have swp files littered about, run this command to recursively find and delete them:
      >
      > find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf

      That "rm -rf" can be a bit destructive when run on a directory.

      I suggest

      find . -name "*.swp" -exec rm {} ";"

      This won't check to see if the file is in use, so do it when vim isn't
      running.

      - George

      >
      > ~Mike
      >
      > On May 1, 2013, at 10:49 AM, BPJ <bpj@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Is there any easy/automatized way to remove junk (as in not associated with any file currently open in (g)vim) .swp files
      >> in the current directory and its subdirectories?
      >> A plugin perhaps?
      >>
      >> /bpj
      >>
      >> --
      >> --
      >> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
      >> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
      >> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
      >>
      >> --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
      >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....
      >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
      >>
      >>
      >

      --
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
      * George Dinwiddie * http://blog.gdinwiddie.com
      Software Development http://www.idiacomputing.com
      Consultant and Coach http://www.agilemaryland.org
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------

      --
      --
      You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
      Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

      ---
      You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
      To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....
      For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
    • Paul
      ... I don t recommend this, because like George Dinwiddie says, it doesn t check to see if any swap files are in use, but this is a more efficient command:
      Message 2 of 13 , May 8, 2013
      • 0 Attachment
        On Wednesday, 01 May, 2013 at 20:11:08 BST, Mike Hume wrote:
        >You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.
        >
        >set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap
        >
        >If you have swp files littered about, run this command to recursively find and delete them:
        >
        >find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf

        I don't recommend this, because like George Dinwiddie says, it doesn't check to see if any swap files are in use, but this is a more efficient command:

        find ~ -type f -name \*.swp -delete

        --
        --
        You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
        Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

        ---
        You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
        To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....
        For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
      • Gary Johnson
        ... Also, not all swap files end in .swp. If Vim needs to create a swap file and one ending in .swp already exists, Vim will use the extension .swo for the
        Message 3 of 13 , May 8, 2013
        • 0 Attachment
          On 2013-05-08, Paul wrote:
          > On Wednesday, 01 May, 2013 at 20:11:08 BST, Mike Hume wrote:
          > >You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.
          > >
          > >set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap
          > >
          > >If you have swp files littered about, run this command to
          > >recursively find and delete them:
          > >
          > >find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf
          >
          > I don't recommend this, because like George Dinwiddie says, it
          > doesn't check to see if any swap files are in use, but this is a
          > more efficient command:
          >
          > find ~ -type f -name \*.swp -delete

          Also, not all swap files end in .swp. If Vim needs to create a swap
          file and one ending in .swp already exists, Vim will use the
          extension .swo for the new one and .swn after that. I think it just
          continues backwards through the alphabet. So using something like

          \*.sw[nop]

          or even

          \*.sw?

          would be more thorough.

          Regards,
          Gary

          --
          --
          You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
          Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
          For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

          ---
          You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
          To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....
          For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
        • Adrian Luff
          ... Using xargs doesn t correctly handle files with spaces in their name by default in my environment. I m not sure of the portability of fixes for this so I
          Message 4 of 13 , May 9, 2013
          • 0 Attachment
            Assuming you have the following in your .vimrc:
            set directory=$HOME/.vim/swap

            You can easily use find and metadata from the file system to remove files that have not been accessed in more than 30 days:

            find ~/.vim/swap -type f -atime +30 -name \*.sw? -exec rm -f {} \;

            Using xargs doesn't correctly handle files with spaces in their name by default in my environment. I'm not sure of the portability of fixes for this so I stuck with -exec.

            -Adrian

            On May 8, 2013, at 10:05 AM, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:

            On 2013-05-08, Paul wrote:
            On Wednesday, 01 May, 2013 at 20:11:08 BST, Mike Hume wrote:
            You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.

            set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap

            If you have swp files littered about, run this command to
            recursively find and delete them:

            find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf

            I don't recommend this, because like George Dinwiddie says, it
            doesn't check to see if any swap files are in use, but this is a
            more efficient command:

               find ~ -type f -name \*.swp -delete

            Also, not all swap files end in .swp.  If Vim needs to create a swap
            file and one ending in .swp already exists, Vim will use the
            extension .swo for the new one and .swn after that.  I think it just
            continues backwards through the alphabet.  So using something like

               \*.sw[nop]

            or even

               \*.sw?

            would be more thorough.

            Regards,
            Gary

            --
            --
            You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
            Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
            For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

            ---
            You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
            To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....
            For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.



          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.