Re: Does vim support markdown?

  • Chris Schneider
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2013
      VimWiki uses its own syntax by default, but there's an option to make it use markdown instead.

      All that does is to change the highlighting while you're in vimwiki land.

      Separately, vim has a syntax file that maps to .markdown files as well.

      In any case, vim itself does not render markdown files to html by itself. Vimwiki has a helper to do that, but I bet it just shells out when needed to a 'real' markdown parser.

      On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Tim Gray <tgray@...> wrote:
      On May 01, 2013 at 04:24 PM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
      Initially I was going to ask if vim supports markdown syntax, but now I'm guessing vimwiki itself processes the markdown coding in vimwiki documents? Is that right?

      My copy of Vim (MacVim) has a copy of markdown.vim in $VIMRUNTIME/syntax.  So it looks like to me that Vim supports it out of the box.  At least MacVim does.

    • Eric Weir
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2013
        On May 1, 2013, at 4:43 PM, Tim Gray wrote:

        > On May 01, 2013 at 04:24 PM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
        >> Initially I was going to ask if vim supports markdown syntax, but now I'm guessing vimwiki itself processes the markdown coding in vimwiki documents? Is that right?
        >
        > My copy of Vim (MacVim) has a copy of markdown.vim in $VIMRUNTIME/syntax. So it looks like to me that Vim supports it out of the box. At least MacVim does.

        Thanks, Tim. I have MacVim, too. May explain my experience with VimWiki.

        Eric Weir
        eeweir@...
        Decatur, GA USA

        "Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
        Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. "

        - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

      • Eric Weir
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2013

          On May 1, 2013, at 4:49 PM, Chris Schneider wrote:

          VimWiki uses its own syntax by default, but there's an option to make it use markdown instead.

          All that does is to change the highlighting while you're in vimwiki land.

          I use markdown syntax in vimwiki.

          Separately, vim has a syntax file that maps to .markdown files as well.

          Is that an option that's selected when vim is compiled, or is it standard regardless of the vim flavor?

          In any case, vim itself does not render markdown files to html by itself. Vimwiki has a helper to do that, but I bet it just shells out when needed to a 'real' markdown parser.

          Thanks, Chris,

          My understanding is getting a little clearer. My primary use of markdown in vimwiki is to get folding on markdown headers. I have multimarkdown installed on my system, and understand that if were going to compile a markdown file I would need to use it. It would be to LaTeX rather than html, though.

          Sincerely,
          Eric Weir

          "You will be needed in the movement when you
          realize that you are not needed in the movement."

          - Chris Crass