Re: Removing junk .swp files

  • tooth pik
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2013
      On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 12:11:08PM -0700, Mike Hume wrote:
      > You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.

      > set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap

      > If you have swp files littered about, run this command to
      > recursively find and delete them:

      > find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf

      you're going to need an asterisk in front of that '.swp'

    • Edward Beckett
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2013

        And if you pass the -d argument to the find method it will never match swp files :-)

        On May 1, 2013 4:37 PM, "tooth pik" <toothpik6@...> wrote:
        On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 12:11:08PM -0700, Mike Hume wrote:
        > You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.

        > set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap

        > If you have swp files littered about, run this command to
        > recursively find and delete them:

        > find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf

        you're going to need an asterisk in front of that '.swp'

      • BPJ
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2013
          2013-05-01 21:16, Ben Fritz skrev:
          > On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 2:12:58 PM UTC-5, Ben Fritz wrote:
          >>
          >> Such .swp files should never exist if you always exit Vim normally.
          >>
          >> Only when Vim crashes or gets terminated abnormally will you have such files hanging around.
          >>

          > Also there may be swap files associated with a DIFFERENT Vim instance, especially if you or others edit files on a network location using Vim from multiple computers.
          >
          > Deleting them automatically might interfere with other Vim instances. I think you will always want a confirmation step at least before deleting swap files.

          I know all that. But you may get junk swap files hanging around
          if you inadvertently compress a directory containing files which
          are currently open in Vim at compression time. Stupid, but there
          you have it!

          /bpj

        • George Dinwiddie
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2013
            Mike, BPJ

            On 5/1/13 3:11 PM, Mike Hume wrote:
            > You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.
            >
            > set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap
            >
            > If you have swp files littered about, run this command to recursively find and delete them:
            >
            > find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf

            That "rm -rf" can be a bit destructive when run on a directory.

            I suggest

            find . -name "*.swp" -exec rm {} ";"

            This won't check to see if the file is in use, so do it when vim isn't
            running.

            - George

            > ~Mike
            >
            > On May 1, 2013, at 10:49 AM, BPJ <bpj@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Is there any easy/automatized way to remove junk (as in not associated with any file currently open in (g)vim) .swp files
            >> in the current directory and its subdirectories?
            >> A plugin perhaps?
            >>
            >> /bpj
            >>
            >> --
            >> --

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 13 , May 8, 2013
              On Wednesday, 01 May, 2013 at 20:11:08 BST, Mike Hume wrote:
              >You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.
              >
              >set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap
              >
              >If you have swp files littered about, run this command to recursively find and delete them:
              >
              >find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf

              I don't recommend this, because like George Dinwiddie says, it doesn't check to see if any swap files are in use, but this is a more efficient command:

              find ~ -type f -name \*.swp -delete

            • Gary Johnson
              Message 6 of 13 , May 8, 2013
                On 2013-05-08, Paul wrote:
                > On Wednesday, 01 May, 2013 at 20:11:08 BST, Mike Hume wrote:
                > >You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.
                > >
                > >set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap
                > >
                > >If you have swp files littered about, run this command to
                > >recursively find and delete them:
                > >
                > >find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf
                >
                > I don't recommend this, because like George Dinwiddie says, it
                > doesn't check to see if any swap files are in use, but this is a
                > more efficient command:
                >
                > find ~ -type f -name \*.swp -delete

                Also, not all swap files end in .swp. If Vim needs to create a swap
                file and one ending in .swp already exists, Vim will use the
                extension .swo for the new one and .swn after that. I think it just
                continues backwards through the alphabet. So using something like

                \*.sw[nop]

                or even

                \*.sw?

                would be more thorough.

                Regards,
                Gary

              • Adrian Luff
                Message 7 of 13 , May 9, 2013
                  Assuming you have the following in your .vimrc:
                  set directory=$HOME/.vim/swap

                  You can easily use find and metadata from the file system to remove files that have not been accessed in more than 30 days:

                  find ~/.vim/swap -type f -atime +30 -name \*.sw? -exec rm -f {} \;

                  Using xargs doesn't correctly handle files with spaces in their name by default in my environment. I'm not sure of the portability of fixes for this so I stuck with -exec.

                  -Adrian