Re: Removing junk .swp files

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1 12:16 PM
      On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 2:12:58 PM UTC-5, Ben Fritz wrote:

      > Such .swp files should never exist if you always exit Vim normally.
      >
      > Only when Vim crashes or gets terminated abnormally will you have such files hanging around.

      Also there may be swap files associated with a DIFFERENT Vim instance, especially if you or others edit files on a network location using Vim from multiple computers.

      Deleting them automatically might interfere with other Vim instances. I think you will always want a confirmation step at least before deleting swap files.

    • Edward Beckett
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1 12:44 PM

        mike's suggestion is I similar to what I use... and it works quite well... I also prepend the abs path to the file to avoid name collisions...

        On May 1, 2013 1:49 PM, "BPJ" <bpj@...> wrote:
        Is there any easy/automatized way to remove junk (as in not associated with any file currently open in (g)vim) .swp files
        in the current directory and its subdirectories?
        A plugin perhaps?

        /bpj

      • tooth pik
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1 1:37 PM
          On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 12:11:08PM -0700, Mike Hume wrote:
          > You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.

          > set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap

          > If you have swp files littered about, run this command to
          > recursively find and delete them:

          > find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf

          you're going to need an asterisk in front of that '.swp'

        • Edward Beckett
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1 2:10 PM

            And if you pass the -d argument to the find method it will never match swp files :-)

            On May 1, 2013 4:37 PM, "tooth pik" <toothpik6@...> wrote:
            On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 12:11:08PM -0700, Mike Hume wrote:
            > You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.

            > set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap

            > If you have swp files littered about, run this command to
            > recursively find and delete them:

            > find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf

            you're going to need an asterisk in front of that '.swp'

          • BPJ
            Message 5 of 13 , May 1 2:40 PM
              2013-05-01 21:16, Ben Fritz skrev:
              > On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 2:12:58 PM UTC-5, Ben Fritz wrote:
              >>
              >> Such .swp files should never exist if you always exit Vim normally.
              >>
              >> Only when Vim crashes or gets terminated abnormally will you have such files hanging around.
              >>

              > Also there may be swap files associated with a DIFFERENT Vim instance, especially if you or others edit files on a network location using Vim from multiple computers.
              >
              > Deleting them automatically might interfere with other Vim instances. I think you will always want a confirmation step at least before deleting swap files.

              I know all that. But you may get junk swap files hanging around
              if you inadvertently compress a directory containing files which
              are currently open in Vim at compression time. Stupid, but there
              you have it!

              /bpj

            • George Dinwiddie
              Message 6 of 13 , May 2 5:09 PM
                Mike, BPJ

                On 5/1/13 3:11 PM, Mike Hume wrote:
                > You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.
                >
                > set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap
                >
                > If you have swp files littered about, run this command to recursively find and delete them:
                >
                > find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf

                That "rm -rf" can be a bit destructive when run on a directory.

                I suggest

                find . -name "*.swp" -exec rm {} ";"

                This won't check to see if the file is in use, so do it when vim isn't
                running.

                - George

                > ~Mike
                >
                > On May 1, 2013, at 10:49 AM, BPJ <bpj@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Is there any easy/automatized way to remove junk (as in not associated with any file currently open in (g)vim) .swp files
                >> in the current directory and its subdirectories?
                >> A plugin perhaps?
                >>
                >> /bpj
                >>
                >> --
                >> --

              • Paul
                Message 7 of 13 , May 8 2:56 AM
                  On Wednesday, 01 May, 2013 at 20:11:08 BST, Mike Hume wrote:
                  >You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.
                  >
                  >set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap
                  >
                  >If you have swp files littered about, run this command to recursively find and delete them:
                  >
                  >find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf

                  I don't recommend this, because like George Dinwiddie says, it doesn't check to see if any swap files are in use, but this is a more efficient command:

                  find ~ -type f -name \*.swp -delete

                • Gary Johnson
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 8 10:05 AM
                    On 2013-05-08, Paul wrote:
                    > On Wednesday, 01 May, 2013 at 20:11:08 BST, Mike Hume wrote:
                    > >You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.
                    > >
                    > >set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap
                    > >
                    > >If you have swp files littered about, run this command to
                    > >recursively find and delete them:
                    > >
                    > >find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf
                    >
                    > I don't recommend this, because like George Dinwiddie says, it
                    > doesn't check to see if any swap files are in use, but this is a
                    > more efficient command:
                    >
                    > find ~ -type f -name \*.swp -delete

                    Also, not all swap files end in .swp. If Vim needs to create a swap
                    file and one ending in .swp already exists, Vim will use the
                    extension .swo for the new one and .swn after that. I think it just
                    continues backwards through the alphabet. So using something like

                    \*.sw[nop]

                    or even

                    \*.sw?

                    would be more thorough.

                    Regards,
                    Gary

                  • Adrian Luff
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 9 8:40 AM
                      Assuming you have the following in your .vimrc:
                      set directory=$HOME/.vim/swap

                      You can easily use find and metadata from the file system to remove files that have not been accessed in more than 30 days:

                      find ~/.vim/swap -type f -atime +30 -name \*.sw? -exec rm -f {} \;

                      Using xargs doesn't correctly handle files with spaces in their name by default in my environment. I'm not sure of the portability of fixes for this so I stuck with -exec.

                      -Adrian