Re: Removing junk .swp files

  • Mike Hume
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2013
      Scratch the part about -type d

      ~Mike

      On May 1, 2013, at 10:49 AM, BPJ <bpj@...> wrote:

      > Is there any easy/automatized way to remove junk (as in not associated with any file currently open in (g)vim) .swp files
      > in the current directory and its subdirectories?
      > A plugin perhaps?
      >
      > /bpj

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2013
        On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 2:12:58 PM UTC-5, Ben Fritz wrote:

        > Such .swp files should never exist if you always exit Vim normally.
        >
        > Only when Vim crashes or gets terminated abnormally will you have such files hanging around.

        Also there may be swap files associated with a DIFFERENT Vim instance, especially if you or others edit files on a network location using Vim from multiple computers.

        Deleting them automatically might interfere with other Vim instances. I think you will always want a confirmation step at least before deleting swap files.

      • Edward Beckett

          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2013
            On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 12:11:08PM -0700, Mike Hume wrote:
            > You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.

            > set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap

            > If you have swp files littered about, run this command to
            > recursively find and delete them:

            > find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf

            you're going to need an asterisk in front of that '.swp'

          • Edward Beckett
            Message 5 of 13 , May 1, 2013

              And if you pass the -d argument to the find method it will never match swp files :-)

              On May 1, 2013 4:37 PM, "tooth pik" <toothpik6@...> wrote:
              On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 12:11:08PM -0700, Mike Hume wrote:
              > You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.

              > set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap

              > If you have swp files littered about, run this command to
              > recursively find and delete them:

              > find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf

              you're going to need an asterisk in front of that '.swp'

            • BPJ
              Message 6 of 13 , May 1, 2013
                2013-05-01 21:16, Ben Fritz skrev:
                > On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 2:12:58 PM UTC-5, Ben Fritz wrote:
                >>
                >> Such .swp files should never exist if you always exit Vim normally.
                >>
                >> Only when Vim crashes or gets terminated abnormally will you have such files hanging around.
                >>

                > Also there may be swap files associated with a DIFFERENT Vim instance, especially if you or others edit files on a network location using Vim from multiple computers.
                >
                > Deleting them automatically might interfere with other Vim instances. I think you will always want a confirmation step at least before deleting swap files.

                I know all that. But you may get junk swap files hanging around
                if you inadvertently compress a directory containing files which
                are currently open in Vim at compression time. Stupid, but there
                you have it!

                /bpj

              • George Dinwiddie
                Message 7 of 13 , May 2, 2013
                  Mike, BPJ

                  On 5/1/13 3:11 PM, Mike Hume wrote:
                  > You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.
                  >
                  > set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap
                  >
                  > If you have swp files littered about, run this command to recursively find and delete them:
                  >
                  > find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf

                  That "rm -rf" can be a bit destructive when run on a directory.

                  I suggest

                  find . -name "*.swp" -exec rm {} ";"

                  This won't check to see if the file is in use, so do it when vim isn't
                  running.

                  - George

                  > ~Mike
                  >
                  > On May 1, 2013, at 10:49 AM, BPJ <bpj@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Is there any easy/automatized way to remove junk (as in not associated with any file currently open in (g)vim) .swp files
                  >> in the current directory and its subdirectories?
                  >> A plugin perhaps?
                  >>
                  >> /bpj
                  >>
                  >> --
                  >> --

                • Paul
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 8, 2013
                    On Wednesday, 01 May, 2013 at 20:11:08 BST, Mike Hume wrote:
                    >You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.
                    >
                    >set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap
                    >
                    >If you have swp files littered about, run this command to recursively find and delete them:
                    >
                    >find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf

                    I don't recommend this, because like George Dinwiddie says, it doesn't check to see if any swap files are in use, but this is a more efficient command:

                    find ~ -type f -name \*.swp -delete

                  • Gary Johnson
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 8, 2013
                      On 2013-05-08, Paul wrote:
                      > On Wednesday, 01 May, 2013 at 20:11:08 BST, Mike Hume wrote:
                      > >You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.
                      > >
                      > >set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap
                      > >
                      > >If you have swp files littered about, run this command to
                      > >recursively find and delete them:
                      > >
                      > >find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf
                      >
                      > I don't recommend this, because like George Dinwiddie says, it
                      > doesn't check to see if any swap files are in use, but this is a
                      > more efficient command:
                      >
                      > find ~ -type f -name \*.swp -delete

                      Also, not all swap files end in .swp. If Vim needs to create a swap
                      file and one ending in .swp already exists, Vim will use the
                      extension .swo for the new one and .swn after that. I think it just
                      continues backwards through the alphabet. So using something like

                      \*.sw[nop]

                      or even

                      \*.sw?

                      would be more thorough.

                      Regards,
                      Gary

                    • Adrian Luff
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 9, 2013
                        Assuming you have the following in your .vimrc:
                        set directory=$HOME/.vim/swap

                        You can easily use find and metadata from the file system to remove files that have not been accessed in more than 30 days:

                        find ~/.vim/swap -type f -atime +30 -name \*.sw? -exec rm -f {} \;

                        Using xargs doesn't correctly handle files with spaces in their name by default in my environment. I'm not sure of the portability of fixes for this so I stuck with -exec.

                        -Adrian