Re: Removing junk .swp files

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2013
      On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 12:49:06 PM UTC-5, BPJ wrote:
      > Is there any easy/automatized way to remove junk (as in not
      >
      > associated with any file currently open in (g)vim) .swp files
      >
      > in the current directory and its subdirectories?
      >
      > A plugin perhaps?

      Such .swp files should never exist if you always exit Vim normally.

      Only when Vim crashes or gets terminated abnormally will you have such files hanging around.

      Having them stick around is how recovery works.

      One of the "swap exists" choices that will appear the next time you edit that file, is to delete the swap file. If Vim is not editing that file, under what circumstances should Vim delete them? You risk losing the ability to recover files if Vim scans the current directory for any swap files on startup or something.

      On Unix-like systems, swap files should be hidden by default, so you won't see them cluttering up anything unless you deliberately show swap files.

      On Windows systems, check out my autohide plugin to accomplish the same:

    • Mike Hume
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2013
        Scratch the part about -type d

        ~Mike

        On May 1, 2013, at 10:49 AM, BPJ <bpj@...> wrote:

        > Is there any easy/automatized way to remove junk (as in not associated with any file currently open in (g)vim) .swp files
        > in the current directory and its subdirectories?
        > A plugin perhaps?
        >
        > /bpj

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2013
          On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 2:12:58 PM UTC-5, Ben Fritz wrote:

          > Such .swp files should never exist if you always exit Vim normally.
          >
          > Only when Vim crashes or gets terminated abnormally will you have such files hanging around.

          Also there may be swap files associated with a DIFFERENT Vim instance, especially if you or others edit files on a network location using Vim from multiple computers.

          Deleting them automatically might interfere with other Vim instances. I think you will always want a confirmation step at least before deleting swap files.

        • Edward Beckett

            Message 5 of 13 , May 1, 2013
              On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 12:11:08PM -0700, Mike Hume wrote:
              > You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.

              > set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap

              > If you have swp files littered about, run this command to
              > recursively find and delete them:

              > find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf

              you're going to need an asterisk in front of that '.swp'

            • Edward Beckett
              Message 6 of 13 , May 1, 2013

                And if you pass the -d argument to the find method it will never match swp files :-)

                On May 1, 2013 4:37 PM, "tooth pik" <toothpik6@...> wrote:
                On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 12:11:08PM -0700, Mike Hume wrote:
                > You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.

                > set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap

                > If you have swp files littered about, run this command to
                > recursively find and delete them:

                > find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf

                you're going to need an asterisk in front of that '.swp'

              • BPJ
                Message 7 of 13 , May 1, 2013
                  2013-05-01 21:16, Ben Fritz skrev:
                  > On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 2:12:58 PM UTC-5, Ben Fritz wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Such .swp files should never exist if you always exit Vim normally.
                  >>
                  >> Only when Vim crashes or gets terminated abnormally will you have such files hanging around.
                  >>

                  > Also there may be swap files associated with a DIFFERENT Vim instance, especially if you or others edit files on a network location using Vim from multiple computers.
                  >
                  > Deleting them automatically might interfere with other Vim instances. I think you will always want a confirmation step at least before deleting swap files.

                  I know all that. But you may get junk swap files hanging around
                  if you inadvertently compress a directory containing files which
                  are currently open in Vim at compression time. Stupid, but there
                  you have it!

                  /bpj

                • George Dinwiddie
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 2, 2013
                    Mike, BPJ

                    On 5/1/13 3:11 PM, Mike Hume wrote:
                    > You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.
                    >
                    > set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap
                    >
                    > If you have swp files littered about, run this command to recursively find and delete them:
                    >
                    > find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf

                    That "rm -rf" can be a bit destructive when run on a directory.

                    I suggest

                    find . -name "*.swp" -exec rm {} ";"

                    This won't check to see if the file is in use, so do it when vim isn't
                    running.

                    - George

                    > ~Mike
                    >
                    > On May 1, 2013, at 10:49 AM, BPJ <bpj@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Is there any easy/automatized way to remove junk (as in not associated with any file currently open in (g)vim) .swp files
                    >> in the current directory and its subdirectories?
                    >> A plugin perhaps?
                    >>
                    >> /bpj
                    >>
                    >> --
                    >> --

                  • Paul
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 8, 2013
                      On Wednesday, 01 May, 2013 at 20:11:08 BST, Mike Hume wrote:
                      >You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.
                      >
                      >set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap
                      >
                      >If you have swp files littered about, run this command to recursively find and delete them:
                      >
                      >find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf

                      I don't recommend this, because like George Dinwiddie says, it doesn't check to see if any swap files are in use, but this is a more efficient command:

                      find ~ -type f -name \*.swp -delete

                    • Gary Johnson
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 8, 2013
                        On 2013-05-08, Paul wrote:
                        > On Wednesday, 01 May, 2013 at 20:11:08 BST, Mike Hume wrote:
                        > >You could setup a tmp directory for where swp files are stores.
                        > >
                        > >set directory=~/.vim/tmp/swap
                        > >
                        > >If you have swp files littered about, run this command to
                        > >recursively find and delete them:
                        > >
                        > >find . -type d -name .swp | xargs rm -rf
                        >
                        > I don't recommend this, because like George Dinwiddie says, it
                        > doesn't check to see if any swap files are in use, but this is a
                        > more efficient command:
                        >
                        > find ~ -type f -name \*.swp -delete

                        Also, not all swap files end in .swp. If Vim needs to create a swap
                        file and one ending in .swp already exists, Vim will use the
                        extension .swo for the new one and .swn after that. I think it just
                        continues backwards through the alphabet. So using something like

                        \*.sw[nop]

                        or even

                        \*.sw?

                        would be more thorough.

                        Regards,
                        Gary

                      • Adrian Luff
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 9, 2013
                          Assuming you have the following in your .vimrc:
                          set directory=$HOME/.vim/swap

                          You can easily use find and metadata from the file system to remove files that have not been accessed in more than 30 days:

                          find ~/.vim/swap -type f -atime +30 -name \*.sw? -exec rm -f {} \;

                          Using xargs doesn't correctly handle files with spaces in their name by default in my environment. I'm not sure of the portability of fixes for this so I stuck with -exec.

                          -Adrian