Re: ANN: YankRing 17.0

  • AK
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 28, 2013
      Hi David, one issue I've run into with yankring is
      that if I make a recording using q command, it works
      fine as I record it, but once I try to play it back,
      it gets stuck on a command like dt" and yankring asks
      for a character.

      I use Vim 7.3.

      Is there a workaround for this?

      Thanks, -ak

      On 04/28/2013 07:20 PM, David Fishburn wrote:
      > YankRing.vim : Maintains a history of previous yanks, changes and deletes
      >
      > What does it do?
      >
      > Inspired by the Emacs kill ring.
      >
      > Allows you to retrieve previous yanks, deletes and changed text and
      > cycle through them choosing which item you need. It also works across
      > Vim instances so they all see the same history. Useful for sharing
      > text across instances, including when using Screen in *nix.
      >
      > For a more descriptive write up, please see the web page.
      >
      > Thanks for everyone's feedback so far.
      > If you do try the plugin and find things that bother you, please send
      > me an email.
      >

      > What is new?
      >
      > NF: The yankring_history_dir option can now take a comma separated list.
      > First valid directory found will be used (Alex Bel).
      >
      > NF: YankRing can now monitor inserted text and place it in the ring.
      > This is disabled by default, but can be enabled either through the
      > YankRing window or via your .vimrc using the new option:
      > g:yankring_record_insert = 1 (Alexandre Viau).
      >
      > BF: When g:yankring_persist = 0, the YankRing was still reading and
      > writing to the yankring file (Vladimir Marek).
      >
      > BF: The YankRing menu entry, "Replace with Next", was performing the
      > "Replace with Previous" action (Thilo Six).
      >

      > As usual, feedback good and bad is always welcome.
      >
      > Enjoy.
      > David

      > ---

    • David Fishburn
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 28, 2013
        What version of the YankRing are you using?
        :echo g:loaded_yankring

        Also, what version of Vim are you using, I am most concerned with the patch numbers.
        :ver

        Can you give me a line of text, and the macro you recorded.
        I don't see the problem when I record a macro with dt" with version 17.0.

        I am using 7.3.758.

        Thanks,
        David

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 28, 2013
          On 04/28/2013 07:47 PM, David Fishburn wrote:
          > What version of the YankRing are you using?
          > :echo g:loaded_yankring

          I was using 13 but now I tried with 17 and I get the same
          issue.

          > Also, what version of Vim are you using, I am most concerned with the
          > patch numbers.
          > :ver

          '10 aug 15; :ver does not show me patch number.

          > Can you give me a line of text, and the macro you recorded.
          > I don't see the problem when I record a macro with dt" with version 17.0.

          e.g. line:

          join(SITE_ROOT, "templates/forum"),

          record commands: wdt"^P
          when executing, I get "Yankring: enter character:"

          -ak

          > I am using 7.3.758.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > David
          >

          > On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM, AK <andrei.avk@...
          > <mailto:andrei.avk@...>> wrote:
          >
          > Hi David, one issue I've run into with yankring is
          > that if I make a recording using q command, it works
          > fine as I record it, but once I try to play it back,
          > it gets stuck on a command like dt" and yankring asks
          > for a character.
          >
          > I use Vim 7.3.
          >
          > Is there a workaround for this?
          >
          > Thanks, -ak
          >

          > On 04/28/2013 07:20 PM, David Fishburn wrote:
          >
          > YankRing.vim : Maintains a history of previous yanks, changes
          > and deletes
          > http://www.vim.org/scripts/__script.php?script_id=1234
          > <http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1234>
          >
          > What does it do?
          >
          > Inspired by the Emacs kill ring.
          >
          > Allows you to retrieve previous yanks, deletes and changed text and
          > cycle through them choosing which item you need. It also works
          > across
          > Vim instances so they all see the same history. Useful for sharing
          > text across instances, including when using Screen in *nix.
          >
          > For a more descriptive write up, please see the web page.
          >
          > Thanks for everyone's feedback so far.
          > If you do try the plugin and find things that bother you, please
          > send
          > me an email.
          >

          > What is new?
          >
          > NF: The yankring_history_dir option can now take a comma
          > separated list.
          > First valid directory found will be used (Alex Bel).
          >
          > NF: YankRing can now monitor inserted text and place it in the ring.
          > This is disabled by default, but can be enabled either through the
          > YankRing window or via your .vimrc using the new option:
          > g:yankring_record_insert = 1 (Alexandre Viau).
          >
          > BF: When g:yankring_persist = 0, the YankRing was still reading and
          > writing to the yankring file (Vladimir Marek).
          >
          > BF: The YankRing menu entry, "Replace with Next", was performing the
          > "Replace with Previous" action (Thilo Six).
          >

          > As usual, feedback good and bad is always welcome.
          >
          > Enjoy.
          > David

          > For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.__php
          > <http://www.vim.org/maillist.php>
          >
          > ---
          > Groups "vim_use" group.
          > it, send
          > an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@__googlegroups.com
          > For more options, visit
          > https://groups.google.com/__groups/opt_out
          > <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.

          > For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.__php
          > <http://www.vim.org/maillist.php>

          > ---

        • BPJ
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013
            2013-04-29 01:20, David Fishburn skrev:
            > YankRing.vim : Maintains a history of previous yanks, changes and deletes

            Am I the only one getting an error?

            Vim Online Error

            Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
            '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

            /bpj

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013
              On Monday, 29 April, 2013 at 00:29:05 BST, AK wrote:
              >Hi David, one issue I've run into with yankring is
              >that if I make a recording using q command, it works
              >fine as I record it, but once I try to play it back,
              >it gets stuck on a command like dt" and yankring asks
              >for a character.
              >
              >I use Vim 7.3.
              >
              >Is there a workaround for this?

              Sounds like the same thing I was seeing only on a Debian system. (I've still not had time to debug it.)

            • David Fishburn
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013

                On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM, BPJ <bpj@...> wrote:
                2013-04-29 01:20, David Fishburn skrev:

                YankRing.vim : Maintains a history of previous yanks, changes and deletes

                Am I the only one getting an error?

                 Vim Online Error

                Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

                No, everyone is getting that error, the Vim MySQL database is down, so no one can download scripts at the moment.

                David

              • David Fishburn
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013

                  On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Paul <google1241@...> wrote:
                  On Monday, 29 April, 2013 at 00:29:05 BST, AK wrote:
                  Hi David, one issue I've run into with yankring is
                  that if I make a recording using q command, it works
                  fine as I record it, but once I try to play it back,
                  it gets stuck on a command like dt" and yankring asks
                  for a character.

                  I use Vim 7.3.

                  Is there a workaround for this?

                  Sounds like the same thing I was seeing only on a Debian system. (I've still not had time to debug it.)

                  I will try to reproduce it with an unpatched version of Vim 7.3, rather than the 7.3.758 I am currently running.
                  Of course I will have to reinstall somewhere to get that .exe (should have copied it first ...), but I will report back after my tests.

                  David

                • snowman55
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 29, 2013
                    Any update? I have the same problem and have to remove the plugin when I need recording.

                  • Nikolay Pavlov
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 30, 2013

                      On Aug 30, 2013 9:34 PM, "Chris Lott" <chris@...> wrote:

                      > On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Francis Ngoh <yfngoh@...> wrote:
                      > > Im away from my computer but I found a workaround ... ie dont use numbered
                      > > registers for the macro.
                      >

                      > Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how this solves the
                      > problem. dt" isn't using a numbered register, it's deleting to the
                      > character "

                      Numbered registers are populated from deletes unless another register was specified. The help states though that one-line deletes should not affect numbered registers (with some exceptions, but "t" is not the one).