ANN: YankRing 17.0

  • David Fishburn
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 28, 2013
      YankRing.vim : Maintains a history of previous yanks, changes and deletes

      What does it do?

      Inspired by the Emacs kill ring.

      Allows you to retrieve previous yanks, deletes and changed text and
      cycle through them choosing which item you need.  It also works across
      Vim instances so they all see the same history.  Useful for sharing
      text across instances, including when using Screen in *nix.

      For a more descriptive write up, please see the web page.

      Thanks for everyone's feedback so far.
      If you do try the plugin and find things that bother you, please send
      me an email.

      What is new?

      NF: The yankring_history_dir option can now take a comma separated list.  First valid directory found will be used (Alex Bel).

      NF: YankRing can now monitor inserted text and place it in the ring. This is disabled by default, but can be enabled either through the YankRing window or via your .vimrc using the new option:
          g:yankring_record_insert = 1 (Alexandre Viau).

      BF: When g:yankring_persist = 0, the YankRing was still reading and writing to the yankring file (Vladimir Marek).

      BF: The YankRing menu entry, "Replace with Next", was performing the "Replace with Previous" action (Thilo Six).

      As usual, feedback good and bad is always welcome.

      Enjoy.
      David

    • AK
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 28, 2013
        Hi David, one issue I've run into with yankring is
        that if I make a recording using q command, it works
        fine as I record it, but once I try to play it back,
        it gets stuck on a command like dt" and yankring asks
        for a character.

        I use Vim 7.3.

        Is there a workaround for this?

        Thanks, -ak

        On 04/28/2013 07:20 PM, David Fishburn wrote:
        > YankRing.vim : Maintains a history of previous yanks, changes and deletes
        >
        > What does it do?
        >
        > Inspired by the Emacs kill ring.
        >
        > Allows you to retrieve previous yanks, deletes and changed text and
        > cycle through them choosing which item you need. It also works across
        > Vim instances so they all see the same history. Useful for sharing
        > text across instances, including when using Screen in *nix.
        >
        > For a more descriptive write up, please see the web page.
        >
        > Thanks for everyone's feedback so far.
        > If you do try the plugin and find things that bother you, please send
        > me an email.
        >

        > What is new?
        >
        > NF: The yankring_history_dir option can now take a comma separated list.
        > First valid directory found will be used (Alex Bel).
        >
        > NF: YankRing can now monitor inserted text and place it in the ring.
        > This is disabled by default, but can be enabled either through the
        > YankRing window or via your .vimrc using the new option:
        > g:yankring_record_insert = 1 (Alexandre Viau).
        >
        > BF: When g:yankring_persist = 0, the YankRing was still reading and
        > writing to the yankring file (Vladimir Marek).
        >
        > BF: The YankRing menu entry, "Replace with Next", was performing the
        > "Replace with Previous" action (Thilo Six).
        >

        > As usual, feedback good and bad is always welcome.
        >
        > Enjoy.
        > David

        > ---

      • David Fishburn
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 28, 2013
          What version of the YankRing are you using?
          :echo g:loaded_yankring

          Also, what version of Vim are you using, I am most concerned with the patch numbers.
          :ver

          Can you give me a line of text, and the macro you recorded.
          I don't see the problem when I record a macro with dt" with version 17.0.

          I am using 7.3.758.

          Thanks,
          David

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 28, 2013
            On 04/28/2013 07:47 PM, David Fishburn wrote:
            > What version of the YankRing are you using?
            > :echo g:loaded_yankring

            I was using 13 but now I tried with 17 and I get the same
            issue.

            > Also, what version of Vim are you using, I am most concerned with the
            > patch numbers.
            > :ver

            '10 aug 15; :ver does not show me patch number.

            > Can you give me a line of text, and the macro you recorded.
            > I don't see the problem when I record a macro with dt" with version 17.0.

            e.g. line:

            join(SITE_ROOT, "templates/forum"),

            record commands: wdt"^P
            when executing, I get "Yankring: enter character:"

            -ak

            > I am using 7.3.758.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > David
            >

            > On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM, AK <andrei.avk@...
            > <mailto:andrei.avk@...>> wrote:
            >
            > Hi David, one issue I've run into with yankring is
            > that if I make a recording using q command, it works
            > fine as I record it, but once I try to play it back,
            > it gets stuck on a command like dt" and yankring asks
            > for a character.
            >
            > I use Vim 7.3.
            >
            > Is there a workaround for this?
            >
            > Thanks, -ak
            >

            > On 04/28/2013 07:20 PM, David Fishburn wrote:
            >
            > YankRing.vim : Maintains a history of previous yanks, changes
            > and deletes
            > http://www.vim.org/scripts/__script.php?script_id=1234
            > <http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1234>
            >
            > What does it do?
            >
            > Inspired by the Emacs kill ring.
            >
            > Allows you to retrieve previous yanks, deletes and changed text and
            > cycle through them choosing which item you need. It also works
            > across
            > Vim instances so they all see the same history. Useful for sharing
            > text across instances, including when using Screen in *nix.
            >
            > For a more descriptive write up, please see the web page.
            >
            > Thanks for everyone's feedback so far.
            > If you do try the plugin and find things that bother you, please
            > send
            > me an email.
            >

            > What is new?
            >
            > NF: The yankring_history_dir option can now take a comma
            > separated list.
            > First valid directory found will be used (Alex Bel).
            >
            > NF: YankRing can now monitor inserted text and place it in the ring.
            > This is disabled by default, but can be enabled either through the
            > YankRing window or via your .vimrc using the new option:
            > g:yankring_record_insert = 1 (Alexandre Viau).
            >
            > BF: When g:yankring_persist = 0, the YankRing was still reading and
            > writing to the yankring file (Vladimir Marek).
            >
            > BF: The YankRing menu entry, "Replace with Next", was performing the
            > "Replace with Previous" action (Thilo Six).
            >

            > As usual, feedback good and bad is always welcome.
            >
            > Enjoy.
            > David

            > For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.__php
            > <http://www.vim.org/maillist.php>
            >
            > ---
            > Groups "vim_use" group.
            > it, send
            > an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@__googlegroups.com
            > For more options, visit
            > https://groups.google.com/__groups/opt_out
            > <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.

            > For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.__php
            > <http://www.vim.org/maillist.php>

            > ---

          • BPJ
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013
              2013-04-29 01:20, David Fishburn skrev:
              > YankRing.vim : Maintains a history of previous yanks, changes and deletes

              Am I the only one getting an error?

              Vim Online Error

              Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
              '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

              /bpj

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013
                On Monday, 29 April, 2013 at 00:29:05 BST, AK wrote:
                >Hi David, one issue I've run into with yankring is
                >that if I make a recording using q command, it works
                >fine as I record it, but once I try to play it back,
                >it gets stuck on a command like dt" and yankring asks
                >for a character.
                >
                >I use Vim 7.3.
                >
                >Is there a workaround for this?

                Sounds like the same thing I was seeing only on a Debian system. (I've still not had time to debug it.)

              • David Fishburn
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013

                  On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM, BPJ <bpj@...> wrote:
                  2013-04-29 01:20, David Fishburn skrev:

                  YankRing.vim : Maintains a history of previous yanks, changes and deletes

                  Am I the only one getting an error?

                   Vim Online Error

                  Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

                  No, everyone is getting that error, the Vim MySQL database is down, so no one can download scripts at the moment.

                  David

                • David Fishburn
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013

                    On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Paul <google1241@...> wrote:
                    On Monday, 29 April, 2013 at 00:29:05 BST, AK wrote:
                    Hi David, one issue I've run into with yankring is
                    that if I make a recording using q command, it works
                    fine as I record it, but once I try to play it back,
                    it gets stuck on a command like dt" and yankring asks
                    for a character.

                    I use Vim 7.3.

                    Is there a workaround for this?

                    Sounds like the same thing I was seeing only on a Debian system. (I've still not had time to debug it.)

                    I will try to reproduce it with an unpatched version of Vim 7.3, rather than the 7.3.758 I am currently running.
                    Of course I will have to reinstall somewhere to get that .exe (should have copied it first ...), but I will report back after my tests.

                    David

                  • snowman55
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 29, 2013
                      Any update? I have the same problem and have to remove the plugin when I need recording.

                    • Nikolay Pavlov
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 30, 2013

                        On Aug 30, 2013 9:34 PM, "Chris Lott" <chris@...> wrote:

                        > On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Francis Ngoh <yfngoh@...> wrote:
                        > > Im away from my computer but I found a workaround ... ie dont use numbered
                        > > registers for the macro.
                        >

                        > Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how this solves the
                        > problem. dt" isn't using a numbered register, it's deleting to the
                        > character "

                        Numbered registers are populated from deletes unless another register was specified. The help states though that one-line deletes should not affect numbered registers (with some exceptions, but "t" is not the one).