Re: Consider lines containing a tab a paragraph boundary

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 24, 2013
      Christian Brabandt wrote:

      > On Wed, April 24, 2013 11:38, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > > Christian Brabandt wrote:
      > >> Did this and updated the example. Would this be acceptable?
      > > Hmm, I think what we really want is to match the text from the end
      > > of one paragraph until the start of the next one. The example with
      > > "/^$" would still work to have empty-line separated paragraphs.
      > > Paragraphs that start with an indent would be found with "/^\s\+".
      >
      > correct.
      >
      > > You could then also allow more than one empty line between paragraphs
      > with "/^\n*$".
      >
      > That would be possible, but doesn't really change the cursor motion. Take
      > the example from the patch:
      > ----------------------------
      > 1 Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
      > 2 consetetur sadipscing elitr,
      > 3 sed diam
      > 4
      > 5
      > 6 Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
      > 7 consetetur sadipscing elitr,
      > 8 sed diam
      >
      > If the 'para' option is set to '/^$' moving using '}' will first move to
      > line 4, the next paragraph motion will move to line 5. Typing '}' again
      > will then move the cursor at the end of the last line.

      The } motion is a bit strange in that it stops before a paragraph. I
      never understood why it's like that and not jumping to the first line of
      the paragraph.

      Anyway, using ]] and [[ you do jump to the start or end of a section, so
      there it's easier to see what the pattern does.

      > Even is you use the /^\n\+$ as regular expression, the cursor will still
      > jump to the exact same positions, as line 4 and line 5 match
      > that regular expression. We could make it jump to the end of the match
      > using the SEARCH_END flag and then advance the cursor one more position,
      > but this would only work on forward searches, this doesn't seem to work
      > for backward searches:
      > https://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/d82897dd34010e93?hl=de

      How about using the pattern /^\n\+\zs ? The \zs marks where the cursor
      ends up. This also allows moving to the first line of the paragraph.

      Question remains how to handle {, where the cursor ends up then.
      An alternative is to use flags after // to specify where the cursor is
      positioned for { and }, e.g. /^\n\+/{s}e would mean { moves to the
      start of the match and } to the end of the match.

      217. Your sex life has drastically improved...so what if it's only cyber-sex!