Re: How can I open help in the current window?

  • Edward Beckett
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 23, 2013

      you could simply open a new instance or tab for help

      On Apr 22, 2013 6:37 AM, "Thiago Padilha" <tpadilha84@...> wrote:
      I googled about this but only found how to open in a vertical split or in a full window. I cannot find how can I navigate to help without splitting or breaking my current layout.

      Normally I already have two windows splitting the screen vertically and would like to open help in the current window then navigate back with ctrl+o. Any easy way to accomplish that?

    • Thiago de Arruda
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 24, 2013
        On 04/23, Edward Beckett wrote:
        > you could simply open a new instance or tab for help

        I'd rather open the help in full height in the current window then navigate back
        with CTRL+O, which is already how I'm used to navigate between files. Besides,
        since I already use tmux with multiple vim instances, tabs get redundant for me.
      • Edward Beckett
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 24, 2013

          hmm... well if you get an answer do tell... your work flow does sound rather convenient...

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 24, 2013
            On 04/24, Edward Beckett wrote:
            > hmm... well if you get an answer do tell... your work flow does sound
            > rather convenient...

            As I decribed in my previous email, I managed to get a working solution by
            placing this code in my vimrc:

            function! OpenHelpInCurrentWindow(topic)
            view $VIMRUNTIME/doc/help.txt
            setl filetype=help
            setl buftype=help
            setl nomodifiable
            exe 'keepjumps help ' . a:topic
            endfunction

            command! -nargs=? -complete=help Help call OpenHelpInCurrentWindow(<q-args>)

            nnoremap <silent> <leader>h :Help

            Then with <leader>h or :Help you can open a help topic in the current window