Re: Undead buffer: gets deleted but respawns on session launch

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 23, 2013
      On 23/04/13 17:41, Sylvia Ganush wrote:
      > Good day.
      >
      > What may cause a deleted buffer to reappear on session launch?
      >
      > I once edited a file, a Figlet font. I deleted the buffer, and
      > then exited Vim as I usually do:
      >
      > :mksession! session.vim
      > :wqa
      >
      > But when restart the session the deleted buffer is still present on the
      > :ls list. The buffer itself is empty. A 'ghost', if you wish.
      >
      > What gives?
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Sylvia

      The :ls! list (but not the :ls list without bang) contains buffers
      previously edited, even if deleted.

      See ":help :bwipeout" and the last paragraph under ":help :bdelete". See
      also ":help unlisted-buffer".

      According to the obituary notices, a mean and unimportant person never
      dies.

    • Sylvia Ganush
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 24, 2013
        On 23 Apr 2013, at 19:06, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

        > On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:41:08 AM UTC-5, Sylvia Ganush wrote:
        >>
        >> What may cause a deleted buffer to reappear on session launch?
        >>

        > Maybe you have the % character in your 'viminfo' option? You said you deleted the buffer, though, so I'd expect it would not be in the saved list. What command did you use to delete the buffer?

        Hi Ben.

        Here's my 'viminfo' option:

        viminfo='100,<50,s10,h,rA:,rB:

        No '%' in there. The ghost buffer always has '#h' in front of its name.

        To delete the buffer I do:

        :bd!

        Sylvia

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 24, 2013
          On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:41:08 AM UTC-5, Sylvia Ganush wrote:
          > Good day.
          >

          > What may cause a deleted buffer to reappear on session launch?
          >

          > I once edited a file, a Figlet font. I deleted the buffer, and
          >
          > then exited Vim as I usually do:
          >

          > :mksession! session.vim
          >
          > :wqa
          >

          > But when restart the session the deleted buffer is still present on the
          >
          > :ls list. The buffer itself is empty. A 'ghost', if you wish.
          >

          > What gives?

          :help :mksession says:

          7. Reloads the buffer list, with the last cursor positions. If
          'sessionoptions' contains "buffers" then all buffers are restored,
          including hidden and unloaded buffers. Otherwise only buffers in windows
          are restored.

          So, after reading Tony's response, I expect you could solve this either by removing 'buffers' from your sessionoptions, or by using :bwipe instead of :bd to delete the buffer.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 24, 2013
            On 24/04/13 20:56, Sylvia Ganush wrote:

            > On 23 Apr 2013, at 19:06, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
            >
            >> On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:41:08 AM UTC-5, Sylvia Ganush wrote:
            >>>
            >>> What may cause a deleted buffer to reappear on session launch?
            >>>

            >> Maybe you have the % character in your 'viminfo' option? You said you deleted the buffer, though, so I'd expect it would not be in the saved list. What command did you use to delete the buffer?
            >
            > Hi Ben.
            >
            > Here's my 'viminfo' option:
            >
            > viminfo='100,<50,s10,h,rA:,rB:
            >
            > No '%' in there. The ghost buffer always has '#h' in front of its name.
            >
            > To delete the buffer I do:
            >
            > :bd!
            >
            > Sylvia

            #h means a hidden buffer, which is the alternate buffer (i.e. usually
            the last buffer you edited before the current one).

            Try :bw! instead of :bd! and see if there is a difference. But beware!
            :bw forgets *everything* that Vim has in memory concerning that buffer.

            FIGHTING WORDS

            Say my love is easy had,
            Say I'm bitten raw with pride,
            Say I am too often sad --
            Still behold me at your side.

            Say I'm neither brave nor young,
            Say I woo and coddle care,
            Say the devil touched my tongue --
            Still you have my heart to wear.

            But say my verses do not scan,
            And I get me another man!
            -- Dorothy Parker

          • Sylvia Ganush
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 25, 2013
              On 25 Apr 2013, at 00:06, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

              > So, after reading Tony's response, I expect you could solve this either by removing 'buffers' from your sessionoptions, or by using :bwipe instead of :bd to delete the buffer.

              Thank you Ben, thank you Tony.

              I gave up and simply recreated the session.

              The offending buffer just wouldn't die no matter what. ':bw!' didn't get it,
              nor did ':set sessionoptions-=buffers'.

              Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I open dozens of other files and delete
              the respective buffers, but only this one stuck inside the session for some
              reason. The stars must have aligned in a certain way at its birth. ;-)

              Sylvia