Re: How can I open help in the current window?

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 23 9:06 AM
      On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:30:59 AM UTC-5, Thiago de Arruda wrote:
      > On 04/23, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >

      > > So you can always open help for subject foobar in the current window
      >
      > > by doing
      >

      > > :view $VIMRUNTIME/doc/help.txt | help foobar
      >

      > This isn't working for me, while the help doc is opened, the topic for "foobar"
      >
      > opens in another window.
      >

      > I have even tried :view '$VIMRUNTIME/doc/help | setf help | help foobar' with no
      >
      > luck, the help topic always open in another window.
      >

      > I'm amazed that something that seems so simple is so difficult to accomplish in
      >
      > the most powerful editor :)

      I think the difference is that the :help command looks for a window with the 'buftype' option set to "help". :help 'buftype' says you're not supposed to set that manually, but I don't think there is anything preventing you from doing so. This should work slightly better:

      :view $VIMRUNTIME/doc/help.txt | set buftype=help | help foobar

      It seems to work for me, anyway. I'd set up a command to do all this for you rather than typing it all every time, though.

      Or just use :tab help.

    • Thiago de Arruda
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 23 10:48 AM
        On 04/23, Ben Fritz wrote:
        > I think the difference is that the :help command looks for a window with the 'buftype' option set to "help". :help 'buftype' says you're not supposed to set that manually, but I don't think there is anything preventing you from doing so. This should work slightly better:
        >
        > :view $VIMRUNTIME/doc/help.txt | set buftype=help | help foobar
        >
        > It seems to work for me, anyway. I'd set up a command to do all this for you rather than typing it all every time, though.
        >
        > Or just use :tab help.

        It worked for me Ben, thanks to you and all that responded to this thread!
        Using what I learned here I defined a new command that does what I need:

        function! OpenHelpInCurrentWindow(topic)
        keepjumps view $VIMRUNTIME/doc/help.txt
        setl filetype=help
        setl buftype=help
        setl nomodifiable
        exe 'help ' . a:topic
        endfunction

        command! -nargs=? -complete=help Help call OpenHelpInCurrentWindow(<q-args>)

        The only thing missing is to stop the first 'view' command from adding an entry
        to the jumplist. Apparently 'keepjumps' is having no effect, anyone has a better
        idea?

        Thanks again

      • Thiago de Arruda
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 23 6:16 PM
          OK I finally managed to get fully working and will post here in case anyone is
          interested, just put the code in vimrc and you can quickly invoke help in the
          current window by pressing <leader>h:

          function! OpenHelpInCurrentWindow(topic)
          view $VIMRUNTIME/doc/help.txt
          setl filetype=help
          setl buftype=help
          setl nomodifiable
          exe 'keepjumps help ' . a:topic
          endfunction

          command! -nargs=? -complete=help Help call OpenHelpInCurrentWindow(<q-args>)

          nnoremap <silent> <leader>h :view +1 $VIMRUNTIME/doc/help.txt

          Thanks for everyone's tips

        • Edward Beckett
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 23 8:38 PM

            you could simply open a new instance or tab for help

            On Apr 22, 2013 6:37 AM, "Thiago Padilha" <tpadilha84@...> wrote:
            I googled about this but only found how to open in a vertical split or in a full window. I cannot find how can I navigate to help without splitting or breaking my current layout.

            Normally I already have two windows splitting the screen vertically and would like to open help in the current window then navigate back with ctrl+o. Any easy way to accomplish that?

          • Thiago de Arruda
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 24 5:10 AM
              On 04/23, Edward Beckett wrote:
              > you could simply open a new instance or tab for help

              I'd rather open the help in full height in the current window then navigate back
              with CTRL+O, which is already how I'm used to navigate between files. Besides,
              since I already use tmux with multiple vim instances, tabs get redundant for me.
            • Edward Beckett
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 24 1:49 PM

                hmm... well if you get an answer do tell... your work flow does sound rather convenient...

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 24 2:17 PM
                  On 04/24, Edward Beckett wrote:
                  > hmm... well if you get an answer do tell... your work flow does sound
                  > rather convenient...

                  As I decribed in my previous email, I managed to get a working solution by
                  placing this code in my vimrc:

                  function! OpenHelpInCurrentWindow(topic)
                  view $VIMRUNTIME/doc/help.txt
                  setl filetype=help
                  setl buftype=help
                  setl nomodifiable
                  exe 'keepjumps help ' . a:topic
                  endfunction

                  command! -nargs=? -complete=help Help call OpenHelpInCurrentWindow(<q-args>)

                  nnoremap <silent> <leader>h :Help

                  Then with <leader>h or :Help you can open a help topic in the current window