Re: Vim Touch for Android

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 57 , Apr 22, 2013
      Thanks again, Jeroen. I'm having to think about this as I proceed. And I'm proceeding slowly, in between other bits of work and play. See comments and queries below.

      On Apr 21, 2013, at 4:46 PM, Jeroen Budts wrote:

      > On 04/21/2013 10:02 PM, Eric Weir wrote:
      >
      >> Curious. Why doesn't 'E' work. When I try it Vim Touch crashes.
      >
      > I also noticed this, and reported this on the mailinglist. I don't
      > think the cause of this bug was already found. However you can use
      > `:e` followed by the foldername instead, so it is only a small issue.

      I think I recall discussion of this on the vim touch google group. Is it in the works to be fixed?

      >> I've found a file manager app---FolderSync---that looks like I can
      >> use it to move files to/from folders synced through SugarSync,
      >> Dropbox and numerous other syncing services.
      >
      > I also tried that one, beforing trying Dropsync, but I couldn't get it
      > to work for Dropbox while Dropsync works perfectly (but only for Dropbox)

      It seems to be working for me. I didn't have to manually move my .vim folder to the tablet. I set up syncing through sugarsync on foldersync, then synced the folder.

      >>> Some other tips: * I keep my entire config inside the .vim
      >>> folder, including my .vimrc file (as 'vimrc' without a dot). This
      >>> makes it easier to sync with DropSync as I only have to sync a
      >>> single folder. Then I manually created a .vimrc file (in
      >>> /storage/emulated/0) with one line: runtime vimrc this will load
      >>> the vimrc file from inside your .vim folder. (this works on any
      >>> Vim, not just on Android)
      >>
      >> I'll keep this in mind.

      I think I'm going to have only one conflict between the .vimrc for the laptop and the tablet. That's that the location of the files created with one of my plugins will be in different locations on the two tablets and that gets specified in the .vimrc. On the laptop they are in a folder in the ~/documents folder. On the tablet they will be in---at least at this point this is what I imagine---they'll be in a folder in /storage/emulated/0/.

      >>> * To check if you are running on Android, for example for
      >>> Android-specific configuration, you can use the following check
      >>> in your .vimrc: if $VIM =~ 'vimtouch' " do some Android specific
      >>> configuration here endif
      >>
      >> I don't understand this.
      >
      > For example: I prefer the molokai colorscheme. Suppose that I would
      > want to use the desert colorscheme on Android, I would add the
      > following to my vimrc:
      > if $VIM =~ 'vimtouch'
      > colorscheme desert
      > else
      > colorscheme molokai
      > endif
      >
      > Then this configuration would work both on my regular Vim and on Vim
      > touch, but in Vim I would have molokai and in vim touch I would have
      > desert.

      One thought is to put my .vimrc as vimrc in /vim, as you suggest, and handle the conflict regarding the location of the folder mentioned above in the .vimrc the way you suggest here. But on second thought I'm thinking of not syncing the .vimrcs, just having separate .vimrcs for macvim and vim touch. Of course I will have to figure out how to backup the .vimrc on the tablet, but that shouldn't be a problem. What do you think?

      >> I'm kinda surprised at how little I know my way around Vim Touch.
      >> I assumed that my level of comfort with regular Vim would carry
      >> over to getting Vim Touch set up. In fact it seems like a
      >> completely different app at this point.
      >
      > When I first used Vim Touch it also felt like a completely different
      > application. That's why I was not very positive about it in my very
      > first mails about Vim on Android. However after getting used to it
      > you'll notice that it is indeed the full powered Vim, embedded in a very
      > nice Android package....

      Glad to hear that I'm not alone in my initial impressions, and that I can indeed expect it to start feeling like vim again in time.

      With a little more experience with the tablet under my belt I am still thinking about returning the Nexus 7---I have 14 days from date of purchase to do so---and exchanging it for a nexus 7. While I'm impressed with the android apps I've found, I see myself continuing to do everything but run vim on the ipad. Again, what do you think?

      Keep in mind that I'm using the soft keyboard. [I've installed the hacker's keyboard and really like it.] In portrait mode on the nexus 10 they keys are pretty small. In landscape they're a bit large and far apart. I'm guessing in landscape on the nexus 7 they should be about right.

      I know Google is supposed to have an upgraded nexus 10 coming out sometime in the next few months, but I vaguely recall something about a new nexus 7 fairly soon. Do you know anything about that?

      Thanks again for the explanations and suggestions.

      Sincerely,
      Eric Weir

      "You will be needed in the movement when you
      realize that you are not needed in the movement."

      - Chris Crass

    • Eric Weir
      Message 57 of 57 , Apr 25, 2013
        Thanks, Jeroen,

        On Apr 23, 2013, at 4:33 PM, Jeroen Budts wrote:

        > On 04/22/2013 03:55 PM, Eric Weir wrote:
        >
        > Maybe try creating a documents folder inside the /storage/emulated/0/
        > directory. I think from inside Vim Touch you will be able to refer to
        > that as ~/documents, so that your existing configuration works.

        Yes, it worked.

        > That mostly depends on your personal preference and the length of your
        > .vimrc file. I try to keep only one .vimrc, but my vimrc is over 600
        > lines, so maintaining multiple copies would be a disaster. I do however
        > also maintain a 'mini-vimrc'-file with the (for me) bare minimum config,
        > which I use on my Raspberry Pi and on servers.

        Ah, you have a Raspberry Pi. You seem to go in for minatures. Except in .vimrcs. Mine is a lot shorter.

        >> With a little more experience with the tablet under my belt I am
        >> still thinking about returning the Nexus 7---I have 14 days from
        >> date of purchase to do so---and exchanging it for a nexus 7. While
        >> I'm impressed with the android apps I've found, I see myself
        >> continuing to do everything but run vim on the ipad. Again, what do
        >> you think?
        >
        > Again this is personal preference. Before the Nexus 7, I had a 10"
        > tablet (from Eken) because I suspected that a 7" would be to small. Now
        > that I have a 7", I actually prefer that because it is much more
        > convenient to take with me.
        > But on the Nexus 7 in landscape mode you only have a few lines available
        > for the content of your file as the keyboard fills up half the screen,
        > as you can see on this screenshot:
        > https://www.dropbox.com/s/576imukfgedxter/Screenshot_2013-04-23-22-20-44.png
        > (I have the font size set to 14pt in Vim Touch).
        > In portrait there is a lot more space, but the hackers keyboard becomes
        > really tiny. On my Nexus 4 (4.7") I use also use the hackers keyboard
        > for Vim Touch but there I use the compact qwerty layout for portrait
        > (it's somewhere in the settings of the keyboard).

        I'm gonna give it a shot on the 7. My vim window on my macbook is pretty small. About 11 X 11 cm. If I can get Vim Touch running satisfactorily and find the 7 too small, I'll get myself another 10.

        Didn't know about the compact qwerty layout.

        Eric Weir
        Decatur, GA
        eeweir@...

        "Everywhere the crisis of the private financial system
        has been transformed into a tale of slovenly and overweening government
        that perpetuates and is perpetuated by a dependent and demanding population."

        - Marilynne Robinson