Re: Vim Touch for Android

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 57 , Apr 21, 2013
      Thanks very much for the detailed response, Jeroen. It is very helpful.

      On Apr 21, 2013, at 1:29 PM, Jeroen Budts wrote:

      > On 04/20/2013 04:56 PM, Eric Weir wrote:
      >
      > Since the runtime extends the Vim Touch app, it doesn't show up as a
      > separate app. To verify that it is installed, you can check in Google
      > Play that it says 'installed', and also by launching Vim Touch and
      > doing something like `:e ~/`. If this gives a filelisting in netrw,
      > you have the runtime installed.

      It appears to be installed. Although when I started Vim Touch the first time today I got an option to install the runtime package, I could not tell until just now that it was in fact installed.

      Curious. Why doesn't 'E' work. When I try it Vim Touch crashes.

      >> Also uncertain what I do to replicate---as near as possible; you
      >> and others have indicated it should close to perfect---the Vim
      >> installation on my MacBook.
      > You simply upload your .vimrc-file and .vim-folder onto the device. On
      > a Nexus device you should place the file & folder into
      > /storage/emulated/0/ (or as mentioned in the vimtouch mailinglist into
      > /sdcard, which is the same location on a Nexus device).
      > To easily upload your configuration you can either attach your device
      > to your computer with USB as a Media device (MTP) (not a good option
      > on Ubuntu). Or you can use the Open Source FTP Server app [1] to start
      > an FTP server on your Nexus and use a program such as Filezilla on
      > your computer. Or another easy solution is to use DropSync [2] to sync
      > your config with Dropbox.

      I've found a file manager app---FolderSync---that looks like I can use it to move files to/from folders synced through SugarSync, Dropbox and numerous other syncing services.

      > Some other tips:
      > * I keep my entire config inside the .vim folder, including my .vimrc
      > file (as 'vimrc' without a dot). This makes it easier to sync with
      > DropSync as I only have to sync a single folder.
      > Then I manually created a .vimrc file (in /storage/emulated/0) with
      > one line:
      > runtime vimrc
      > this will load the vimrc file from inside your .vim folder. (this
      > works on any Vim, not just on Android)

      I'll keep this in mind.

      Above you say files should go into "/storage/emulated/0/" and in "/storage/emulated/0". Which is it.

      > * To check if you are running on Android, for example for
      > Android-specific configuration, you can use the following check in
      > your .vimrc:
      > if $VIM =~ 'vimtouch'
      > " do some Android specific configuration here
      > endif

      I don't understand this.

      >> I have a concern about android. When I went to download the
      >> hacker's keyboard I noticed that the permissions indicated that I
      >> would be giving pretty complete access to my entire system to
      >> anyone who wanted access to it. It even cautions "malicious apps
      >> may share contact data without your knowledge." I understand that
      >> this is standard for the android OS, and with few exceptions most
      >> apps. Perhaps I don't understand, but as I understand I find this
      >> disturbing.
      >
      > If you install and use an alternative keyboard, Android will indeed
      > give you a rather scary warning. However it is not as bad as you
      > describe. First, it is only for that keyboard app. All apps which you
      > install have to request various permissions to be able to do stuff,
      > such as read your contacts. You can inspect those permissions when
      > installing the app (in the confirmation dialog on Google Play) or for
      > an already installed app through settings > apps & then tap an app to
      > open the details (permissions are at the bottom).

      Thanks for this. It's reassuring. It wasn't that I didn't trust the hacker's keyboard developer, but the explanation of the permissions made it sound like in installing the keyboard I would be giving access to my contacts, etc., etc., etc. to everybody under the sun.

      > For a keyboard app, yes that will be able to read anything you type,
      > but if you think about it, that's only normal. You use that app to
      > enter text into the system, which is only possible if the app knows
      > what you want to type. The same concern can be made about hardware
      > keyboards. If you buy a real keyboard, you also have to trust the
      > manufacturer not to include some extra hardware to capture all your
      > text and send it somewhere (unless you open each keyboard and check
      > the internals? :) )
      >
      >> Any help you might be able to give would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > I hope this helps you get started on your Android adventure! Feel free
      > to mail more questions :)

      It helps *a lot*! And I appreciate it very much. The offer of future help, too. I'm sure there will be more questions.

      I'm kinda surprised at how little I know my way around Vim Touch. I assumed that my level of comfort with regular Vim would carry over to getting Vim Touch set up. In fact it seems like a completely different app at this point.

      > [1] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=be.ppareit.swiftp&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImJlLnBwYXJlaXQuc3dpZnRwIl0.
      >
      > [2] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ttxapps.dropsync&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS50dHhhcHBzLmRyb3BzeW5jIl0.

      I'll keep these in mind, but I think---I hope!---FolderSync will take care of syncing and file management needs.

      I'm looking forward to getting Vim back. It feels like it's going to take a while to get to the level of comfort that I'm sued to with regular Vim.

      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA
      eeweir@...

      "You keep on learning and learning, and pretty soon
      you learn something no one has learned before."

      - Richard Feynman

    • Eric Weir
      Message 57 of 57 , Apr 25, 2013
        Thanks, Jeroen,

        On Apr 23, 2013, at 4:33 PM, Jeroen Budts wrote:

        > On 04/22/2013 03:55 PM, Eric Weir wrote:
        >
        > Maybe try creating a documents folder inside the /storage/emulated/0/
        > directory. I think from inside Vim Touch you will be able to refer to
        > that as ~/documents, so that your existing configuration works.

        Yes, it worked.

        > That mostly depends on your personal preference and the length of your
        > .vimrc file. I try to keep only one .vimrc, but my vimrc is over 600
        > lines, so maintaining multiple copies would be a disaster. I do however
        > also maintain a 'mini-vimrc'-file with the (for me) bare minimum config,
        > which I use on my Raspberry Pi and on servers.

        Ah, you have a Raspberry Pi. You seem to go in for minatures. Except in .vimrcs. Mine is a lot shorter.

        >> With a little more experience with the tablet under my belt I am
        >> still thinking about returning the Nexus 7---I have 14 days from
        >> date of purchase to do so---and exchanging it for a nexus 7. While
        >> I'm impressed with the android apps I've found, I see myself
        >> continuing to do everything but run vim on the ipad. Again, what do
        >> you think?
        >
        > Again this is personal preference. Before the Nexus 7, I had a 10"
        > tablet (from Eken) because I suspected that a 7" would be to small. Now
        > that I have a 7", I actually prefer that because it is much more
        > convenient to take with me.
        > But on the Nexus 7 in landscape mode you only have a few lines available
        > for the content of your file as the keyboard fills up half the screen,
        > as you can see on this screenshot:
        > https://www.dropbox.com/s/576imukfgedxter/Screenshot_2013-04-23-22-20-44.png
        > (I have the font size set to 14pt in Vim Touch).
        > In portrait there is a lot more space, but the hackers keyboard becomes
        > really tiny. On my Nexus 4 (4.7") I use also use the hackers keyboard
        > for Vim Touch but there I use the compact qwerty layout for portrait
        > (it's somewhere in the settings of the keyboard).

        I'm gonna give it a shot on the 7. My vim window on my macbook is pretty small. About 11 X 11 cm. If I can get Vim Touch running satisfactorily and find the 7 too small, I'll get myself another 10.

        Didn't know about the compact qwerty layout.

        Eric Weir
        Decatur, GA
        eeweir@...

        "Everywhere the crisis of the private financial system
        has been transformed into a tale of slovenly and overweening government
        that perpetuates and is perpetuated by a dependent and demanding population."

        - Marilynne Robinson