Re: Vim freezes with 100% cpu usage on exit

  • Yegappan Lakshmanan
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 20, 2013

      On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
      Hi Thiago!

      On Sa, 20 Apr 2013, Thiago Padilha wrote:

      > Dominique thanks for your help.
      >
      > I have attached gdb to vim in both cases: when I re-attach to tmux after a
      > reboot(which hangs without cpu activity for a while) and soon after that,
      > when I send the quit command(which hangs vim with 100% cpu).
      >
      > In both cases it seems the issue is related with x11 libraries and the fact
      > that my x11 session(provided by cygwin-x) has a different lifecycle than
      > the vim session. The function that causes vim to freeze with 100% cpu is
      > '_XtWaitForSomething' from libXt. As the name says this function waits for
      > something that never happens with a busy poll which causes the freeze.
      >
      > The issue was fixed for me by replacing ubuntu's 'vim-gtk' for 'vim-nox'
      > package. The x11 clipboard integration I replaced by creating mappings that
      > invoke the xclip commandline utility(which doesn't keep a connection with
      > x11 open).
      >
      > In any case I attached gdb backtraces for anyone interested in doing
      > further investigations. It may be possible to reproduce these issues by
      > starting vim with x11 support in a tmux/screen session, restarting x11 and
      > then reattaching to it. To debug in debian/ubuntu just install the
      > vim-gtk/vim-dbg packages
      > backtrace after tmux attach(triggered by clicking at the vim pane with
      > the mouse, but this will call eventually returns):

      Hm, Your backtrace looks like the one I just got for a similar problem.
      Look for the subject hanging vim, I just posted there yesterday. Maybe
      this is a problem with the Ubuntu X11 libraries?

      In any case, starting vim with -X should also fix this for you.

      I also saw Vim hang sometimes when selecting a large amount of text (see the
      Vim crash issue I reported last week).

      The traceback of the hung Vim is similar to the traceback you are seeing.
      It looks like the X11 clipboard interaction has a problem. I am not familiar with
      the X11 clipboard handling code. So I am not able to make any progress
      in finding a fix for this crash/hang problem.

      - Yegappan

    • Thiago Padilha
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 21, 2013
        Here's what I have in my vimrc to workaround these x11 issues(adjust the mappings to your likings):

        function! X11Yank()
          call system('xclip -i -selection clipboard', @t)
        endfunction
        function! X11Paste()
          let @t = system('xclip -o -selection clipboard')
        endfunction

        vnoremap <silent> <a-y> "ty:call X11Yank()<cr>
        vnoremap <silent> <a-d> "td:call X11Yank()<cr>
        nnoremap <silent> <a-p> :call X11Paste()<cr>"tp
        vnoremap <silent> <a-p> d:call X11Paste()<cr>h"tp

        Hi,