Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

syntax.vim: filetypedetect BufRead

Expand Messages
  • xeon123
    The syntax highlight in vim 7.3 doesn t work. I get the following error. How can I fix that? Error detected while processing
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 20 5:54 AM
    • 0 Attachment
      The syntax highlight in vim 7.3 doesn't work. I get the following error. How can I fix that?

      Error detected while processing /usr/share/vim/vim73/syntax/syntax.vim:
      line 42:
      E216: No such group or event: filetypedetect BufRead

      I'm using Debian 7.0.

      Thanks,

      --
      --
      You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
      Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

      ---
      You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
      To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....
      For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
    • Ben Fritz
      ... Works fine for me. Maybe you re using a tiny Vim or something? What are the first few lines of your :version output? The line 42 in my
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 20 9:15 AM
      • 0 Attachment
        On Saturday, April 20, 2013 7:54:50 AM UTC-5, xeon123 wrote:
        > The syntax highlight in vim 7.3 doesn't work. I get the following error. How can I fix that?
        >
        > Error detected while processing /usr/share/vim/vim73/syntax/syntax.vim:
        > line 42:
        > E216: No such group or event: filetypedetect BufRead
        >
        > I'm using Debian 7.0.
        >
        > Thanks,

        Works fine for me. Maybe you're using a "tiny" Vim or something? What are the first few lines of your :version output?

        The line 42 in my /usr/share/vim/vim73/syntax/syntax.vim is:

        doautoall filetypedetect BufRead

        Maybe you need to turn on filetype detection prior to turning on syntax highlight? I seem to remember someone on this list saying that "syntax on" automatically implies filetype detection, but it's worth a shot to put "filetype on" before "syntax on" in your .vimrc.

        This could also be "filetype plugin on", "filetype indent on", or "filetype indent plugin on" for more features.

        --
        --
        You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
        Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

        ---
        You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
        To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....
        For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
      • Tony Mechelynck
        ... I have the same (bracketed by :if !s:did_ft), and in addition, at lines 21 sqq I see: Load the FileType autocommands if not done yet. if
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 20 5:59 PM
        • 0 Attachment
          On 20/04/13 18:15, Ben Fritz wrote:
          > On Saturday, April 20, 2013 7:54:50 AM UTC-5, xeon123 wrote:
          >> The syntax highlight in vim 7.3 doesn't work. I get the following error. How can I fix that?
          >>
          >> Error detected while processing /usr/share/vim/vim73/syntax/syntax.vim:
          >> line 42:
          >> E216: No such group or event: filetypedetect BufRead
          >>
          >> I'm using Debian 7.0.
          >>
          >> Thanks,
          >
          > Works fine for me. Maybe you're using a "tiny" Vim or something? What are the first few lines of your :version output?
          >
          > The line 42 in my /usr/share/vim/vim73/syntax/syntax.vim is:
          >
          > doautoall filetypedetect BufRead
          >
          > Maybe you need to turn on filetype detection prior to turning on syntax highlight? I seem to remember someone on this list saying that "syntax on" automatically implies filetype detection, but it's worth a shot to put "filetype on" before "syntax on" in your .vimrc.
          >
          > This could also be "filetype plugin on", "filetype indent on", or "filetype indent plugin on" for more features.
          >

          I have the same (bracketed by :if !s:did_ft), and in addition, at lines
          21 sqq I see:

          " Load the FileType autocommands if not done yet.
          if exists("did_load_filetypes")
          let s:did_ft = 1
          else
          filetype on
          let s:did_ft = 0
          endif

          so by the time the doautoall line is reached, filetype detection should
          already be on.

          Of course I use Bram's original sources, downloaded from
          https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ (with no Debian “improvements”), and the
          openSUSE system vimrc (if any) is at /etc/vimrc which is not where this
          Vim build looks for it (at $VIM/vimrc i.e. /usr/local/share/vim/vimrc).


          Best regards,
          Tony.
          --
          "If God lived on Earth, people would knock out all His windows."
          -- Yiddish saying

          --
          --
          You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
          Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
          For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

          ---
          You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
          To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....
          For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
        • Pedro Sá da Costa
          I found my problem. In my case I have declared wrong in the runtimepath in my ~/.vimrc /usr/share/vim/vim72 , and it must be /usr/share/vim/vim73 . After
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 21 5:02 AM
          • 0 Attachment
            I found my problem.

            In my case I have declared wrong in the runtimepath in my ~/.vimrc "/usr/share/vim/vim72", and it must be "/usr/share/vim/vim73". After this change it works fine. 

            Check you ":set runtimepath" directories to see if they are correct.




            On 21 April 2013 02:59, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
            On 20/04/13 18:15, Ben Fritz wrote:
            On Saturday, April 20, 2013 7:54:50 AM UTC-5, xeon123 wrote:
            The syntax highlight in vim 7.3 doesn't work. I get the following error. How can I fix that?

            Error detected while processing /usr/share/vim/vim73/syntax/syntax.vim:
            line   42:
            E216: No such group or event: filetypedetect BufRead

            I'm using Debian 7.0.

            Thanks,

            Works fine for me. Maybe you're using a "tiny" Vim or something? What are the first few lines of your :version output?

            The line 42 in my /usr/share/vim/vim73/syntax/syntax.vim is:

               doautoall filetypedetect BufRead

            Maybe you need to turn on filetype detection prior to turning on syntax highlight? I seem to remember someone on this list saying that "syntax on" automatically implies filetype detection, but it's worth a shot to put "filetype on" before "syntax on" in your .vimrc.

            This could also be "filetype plugin on", "filetype indent on", or "filetype indent plugin on" for more features.


            I have the same (bracketed by :if !s:did_ft), and in addition, at lines 21 sqq I see:

            " Load the FileType autocommands if not done yet.
            if exists("did_load_filetypes")
              let s:did_ft = 1
            else
              filetype on
              let s:did_ft = 0
            endif

            so by the time the doautoall line is reached, filetype detection should already be on.

            Of course I use Bram's original sources, downloaded from https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ (with no Debian “improvements”), and the openSUSE system vimrc (if any) is at /etc/vimrc which is not where this Vim build looks for it (at $VIM/vimrc i.e. /usr/local/share/vim/vimrc).


            Best regards,
            Tony.
            --
            "If God lived on Earth, people would knock out all His windows."
                            -- Yiddish saying


            --
            --
            You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
            Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
            For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

            --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
            To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
            For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.





            --
            Best regards,

            --
            --
            You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
            Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
            For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
             
            ---
            You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
            To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....
            For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
             
             
          • Ben Fritz
            ... I never set my runtimepath manually. Why do you need to? I note that mine is set (by default) to include /usr/local/share/vim/vim73 but not
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 21 9:37 AM
            • 0 Attachment
              On Sunday, April 21, 2013 7:02:13 AM UTC-5, xeon123 wrote:
              > I found my problem.
              >
              >
              > In my case I have declared wrong in the runtimepath in my ~/.vimrc "/usr/share/vim/vim72", and it must be "/usr/share/vim/vim73". After this change it works fine. 
              >
              >
              >
              >
              > Check you ":set runtimepath" directories to see if they are correct.
              >

              I never set my runtimepath manually.

              Why do you need to?

              I note that mine is set (by default) to include /usr/local/share/vim/vim73 but not /usr/share/vim/vim73.

              --
              --
              You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
              Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
              For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

              ---
              You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
              To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....
              For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
            • Tony Mechelynck
              ... When you compile Vim yourself on Unix-like systems, it will normally install under /usr/local/: executable in /usr/local/bin/ runtime files (for Vim 7.3)
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 21 11:46 AM
              • 0 Attachment
                On 21/04/13 18:37, Ben Fritz wrote:
                > On Sunday, April 21, 2013 7:02:13 AM UTC-5, xeon123 wrote:
                >> I found my problem.
                >>
                >>
                >> In my case I have declared wrong in the runtimepath in my ~/.vimrc "/usr/share/vim/vim72", and it must be "/usr/share/vim/vim73". After this change it works fine.
                >>
                >>
                >>
                >>
                >> Check you ":set runtimepath" directories to see if they are correct.
                >>
                >
                > I never set my runtimepath manually.
                >
                > Why do you need to?
                >
                > I note that mine is set (by default) to include /usr/local/share/vim/vim73 but not /usr/share/vim/vim73.
                >

                When you compile Vim yourself on Unix-like systems, it will normally
                install under /usr/local/:

                executable in /usr/local/bin/
                runtime files (for Vim 7.3) in /usr/local/share/vim/vim73/
                system vimrc (not always present) is looked for at /usr/local/vim/vimrc
                etc.

                When you get a Vim package from a Linux distro, the paths are different:

                executable in /usr/bin/
                runtime files (for Vim 7.3) in /usr/share/vim/vim/73/
                system vimrc (not always present) is looked for at (e.g.) /etc/vimrc
                etc.

                This avoids conflicts if you have both; and, since /usr/local/bin comes
                before /usr/bin in the $PATH, invoking vim without a path will get you
                the one you compiled yourself.


                Best regards,
                Tony.
                --
                Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!

                --
                --
                You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
                Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

                ---
                You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
                To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@....
                For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.