Vim Touch for Android

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 57 , Apr 20, 2013
      On Apr 3, 2013, at 4:11 PM, Eric Weir wrote:

      > Seriously thinking about investing in a Nexus 10 just to run Vim.

      Well, Jeroen, I did it. Got myself a 32 GB Nexus 10. Now that I've had a little---very little---experience with it I may return it and exchange it for a Nexus 7, since I envision the machine, whichever version, as being used almost exclusively to run Vim.

      I have Vim Touch installed and Vim Touch runtime downloaded. Wasn't sure how to install the latter. A response on the Vim Touch google group explained that I should click on extra downloads in the android menu for the app and select the runtime extension from there. I went through the motions but got no report of any action. I'm not sure whether the runtime extension has been added or not.

      Also uncertain what I do to replicate---as near as possible; you and others have indicated it should close to perfect---the Vim installation on my MacBook.

      I have a concern about android. When I went to download the hacker's keyboard I noticed that the permissions indicated that I would be giving pretty complete access to my entire system to anyone who wanted access to it. It even cautions "malicious apps may share contact data without your knowledge." I understand that this is standard for the android OS, and with few exceptions most apps. Perhaps I don't understand, but as I understand I find this disturbing.

      Any help you might be able to give would be greatly appreciated.

      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA
      eeweir@...

      "With an ounce of willingness, everything can change."

      - Kim

    • Eric Weir
      Message 57 of 57 , Apr 25, 2013
        Thanks, Jeroen,

        On Apr 23, 2013, at 4:33 PM, Jeroen Budts wrote:

        > On 04/22/2013 03:55 PM, Eric Weir wrote:
        >
        > Maybe try creating a documents folder inside the /storage/emulated/0/
        > directory. I think from inside Vim Touch you will be able to refer to
        > that as ~/documents, so that your existing configuration works.

        Yes, it worked.

        > That mostly depends on your personal preference and the length of your
        > .vimrc file. I try to keep only one .vimrc, but my vimrc is over 600
        > lines, so maintaining multiple copies would be a disaster. I do however
        > also maintain a 'mini-vimrc'-file with the (for me) bare minimum config,
        > which I use on my Raspberry Pi and on servers.

        Ah, you have a Raspberry Pi. You seem to go in for minatures. Except in .vimrcs. Mine is a lot shorter.

        >> With a little more experience with the tablet under my belt I am
        >> still thinking about returning the Nexus 7---I have 14 days from
        >> date of purchase to do so---and exchanging it for a nexus 7. While
        >> I'm impressed with the android apps I've found, I see myself
        >> continuing to do everything but run vim on the ipad. Again, what do
        >> you think?
        >
        > Again this is personal preference. Before the Nexus 7, I had a 10"
        > tablet (from Eken) because I suspected that a 7" would be to small. Now
        > that I have a 7", I actually prefer that because it is much more
        > convenient to take with me.
        > But on the Nexus 7 in landscape mode you only have a few lines available
        > for the content of your file as the keyboard fills up half the screen,
        > as you can see on this screenshot:
        > https://www.dropbox.com/s/576imukfgedxter/Screenshot_2013-04-23-22-20-44.png
        > (I have the font size set to 14pt in Vim Touch).
        > In portrait there is a lot more space, but the hackers keyboard becomes
        > really tiny. On my Nexus 4 (4.7") I use also use the hackers keyboard
        > for Vim Touch but there I use the compact qwerty layout for portrait
        > (it's somewhere in the settings of the keyboard).

        I'm gonna give it a shot on the 7. My vim window on my macbook is pretty small. About 11 X 11 cm. If I can get Vim Touch running satisfactorily and find the 7 too small, I'll get myself another 10.

        Didn't know about the compact qwerty layout.

        Eric Weir
        Decatur, GA
        eeweir@...

        "Everywhere the crisis of the private financial system
        has been transformed into a tale of slovenly and overweening government
        that perpetuates and is perpetuated by a dependent and demanding population."

        - Marilynne Robinson