vim on windows: "View with vim" in context menu

  • Amitava Dutta
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 17, 2013
      On Windows, the context menu that comes up with right-click includes
      "Edit with vim"

      Is there a way to add a "View with vim" which will open the file read-only?

      Thanks for your help.

      Best regards
      Amitava

    • KF
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 18, 2013
        On Apr 18, 5:10 am, Amitava Dutta <adu...@...> wrote:
        > On Windows, the context menu that comes up with right-click includes
        >     "Edit with vim"
        >
        > Is there a way to add a "View with vim" which will open the file read-only?

        Yes. Use the patch from here:
        http://vim.1045645.n5.nabble.com/patch-gvim-for-win32-should-have-context-menu-to-view-files-in-read-only-mode-td1210936.html

        Or you can download one with it (compiled by me):
        https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21119576/%5B_Utils_%5D/gvim73-905.exe

        HTH,
        KF

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 18, 2013
          On Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:10:34 PM UTC-5, Amitava Dutta wrote:
          > On Windows, the context menu that comes up with right-click includes
          >
          > "Edit with vim"
          >

          > Is there a way to add a "View with vim" which will open the file read-only?

          My solution for this is actually to put a read-only Vim shortcut in the Windows Send-To menu:

          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Add_Vim_to_Windows_Send_To_menu

        • Zhao Cai
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 18, 2013
            Hi, Everyone,

            I would like to introduce a vim plugin named GoldenView I just released. Please take a look and give feedback. Thanks.

            ( For a better view of document, please go to http://zhaocai.github.io/GoldenView.Vim/. )

            The initial motive for GoldenView comes from the frustration of using other vim plugins to autoresize split windows. The idea is deadly simple and very useful: resize the focused window to a proper size. However, in practice, many hiccups makes autoresizing not a smooth experience. Below are a list of issues I am trying to solve:

            First and the most important one, autoresizing should play nicely with existing plugins like tagbarvimfileruniteVOoM,quickfixundotreegundo, etc. These windows should manage there own window size.

            Second, autoresizing should take care of the other windows too. Resizing the focused window may cause the other windows become too small. When you have 4+ split windows, autoresizing may just make a mess out of it.

            GoldView Screencast

            Features

            GoldenView has preliminarily solved the issues described above. It also provides other features. Bascally, it does two things:

            1. Autoresizing

            First of all, it automatically resize the focused split window to a "golden" view based on golden ratio and textwidth.

            2. Tiled Windows Management

            Second, it maps a single key (<C-L> by default) to nicely split windows to tiled windows.

            -----------------------------------
            |              |        S1        |
            |              |===================
            |      V       |        S2        |
            |              |===================
            |              |        S3        |
            -----------------------------------

            To get this view, just hit <C-L> 4 times. or, if you have a large monitor, you may get tiled windows below.

            |              |              |        S1        |
            |              |              |===================
            |      V1      |      V2      |        S2        |
            |              |              |===================
            |              |              |        S3        |

            To quickly switch between those windows, a few keys are mapped to

            • Focuse to the main window (- the V pane above),
            • Switch with the largest, smallest, etc.
            • Jump to next and previous window

            All the best,
            Zhao Cai

          • Rostislav Svoboda
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 19, 2013
              Looks interesting. I'm definitely gonna give it a try

            • Amitava Dutta
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 19, 2013
                On Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:10:34 PM UTC-5, Amitava Dutta wrote:
                > On Windows, the context menu that comes up with right-click includes
                >
                > "Edit with vim"
                >

                > Is there a way to add a "View with vim" which will open the file read-only?

                My solution for this is actually to put a read-only Vim shortcut in the Windows Send-To menu:

                http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Add_Vim_to_Windows_Send_To_menu

                Thanks, that's perfect!