Re: substitution with accented characters

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 17, 2013
      On 17/04/13 05:12, Ben Fritz wrote:
      > On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:52:22 PM UTC-5, andalou wrote:
      >> Suppose I have the following text:
      >>
      >> Diagonalización de matrices. Formas cuadráticas.
      >> El Espacio Afín
      >> El problema de la Programación Lineal
      >> El Espacio Euclídeo
      >>
      >> How can I replace the &#...; with their corresponding characters?
      >>
      >> I know that ó is ó
      >> á is á
      >> í is í
      >>
      >> The text can be very large with several of the &#...;
      >>

      > Are you looking for something like this?
      >
      > :%s/&#\(\d\+\);/\=nr2char(submatch(1))/g
      >
      > :help sub-replace-expression
      > :help submatch()
      > :help nr2char()
      >
      > Depending on your encoding you might need to throw in an iconv() call somewhere.

      You may, if you want, refine this expression (the actual implementation
      is left as an exercise to the student) for hex entities like e.g.
      #x4E09; for 三, the CJK pictogram for the number three (Unicode
      codepoint U+4E09). Of course, for symbolic entity names you will have to
      identify each of them separately, which may require some other approach,
      such as working with a function and a Dictionary like { 'lt':'<',
      'gt':'>', 'nbsp':"\xA0", 'amp':'&', 'aacute':'á', 'eacute':'é',
      'iacute':'í', 'oacute':'ó', 'uacute':'ú', 'uuml':'ü', 'ntilde':'ñ',
      'Aacute':'Á', …etc… }

      Of course, if your example text is part of an HTML page, all browsers
      MUST display the characters correctly even if you leave the &…; entities in.

      An authority is a person who can tell you more about something than you
      really care to know.