Re: Determine the position we left off before moving to the command line

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 15, 2013
      On Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:54:14 AM UTC-5, Axel Bender wrote:
      > I'm searching a way to determine the last cursor position before entering the command line to execute a command defined with
      >
      > :command -range=% aaa call <line1>,<line2>func().
      >
      > If I start from a visual block, I'm able to retrieve that position with line(".") or a:firstline in func().
      >
      > However, if I don't use a range, e.g. if I just enter :aaa, I'm unable able to determine that position as line(".")/a:firstline are both 1.
      >
      > I tried to resort to defining the command like so
      >
      > :command -range=% aaa normal ma| <line1>,<line2>call ... | normal `a
      >
      > but to no avail; func() wouldn't get executed...
      >
      > Any tips?

      I know of no reason whatsoever why line('.') would not work. I use it all the time. Is your cursor actually on line 1 when you invoke the command?

    • Axel Bender
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 15, 2013
        Hm, somehow my last (yesterday evening) post got removed...

        Anyway. I attached a VimL file which shows the problem (at least here: version 7.3.903, Windows 7, 64 bit). Please try to execute :Hi w/o a visual block, the cursor being in line 2.

      • Anthony Campbell
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 16, 2013
          I have a lot of abbreviations to automatically correct tyiping errors
          (hte to the, etc.). It works well for whole words but it would be useful
          to have it for some teminations, e.g. to catch words ending in *lly
          which I tend to type as *lhy.

          I haven't been able to find such a thing with google. It's no big deal
          but given that one can do practically anything in vim, I thought I'd
          ask.

          --
          Anthony Campbell - ac@...
          http://www.acampbell.org.uk