Re: Can I control the order of files, then concat into a file

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 9, 2013
      On 2013-04-09 18:46, Russell Urquhart wrote:
      > The order is probably going to be specific to what my users want,
      > and not sorted by any manner.
      >
      > Can anyone suggest the best way to do this in Vim?

      Presuming you want to control the order of the files by having them
      listed one-per-line in a file, you could do something like

      :g/^/exe 'sview '.getline('.')|w!>>output.txt|q

      This looks at each line in your order-control file, splits to open
      the file named on the line (using ":sview" so it's read-only), writes
      the contents (appending) to "output.txt", then quits the split
      window, leaving you back in your original order-control file.

      -tim

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 9, 2013
        On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 6:46:50 PM UTC-5, russur wrote:

        > For this particular document(s) i might have to create, is there a way to choose the order of the files in the given directory, and have them load, in that order, into a single file.
        >

        > The order is probably going to be specific to what my users want, and not sorted by any manner.
        >

        > Can anyone suggest the best way to do this in Vim?

        Your solution for all the files in a directory used the arglist. I presume you opened them all with a wildcard.

        If you want to specify an order, don't use a wildcard, just list them out in the order you want. You could even add more after creating the arglist with the :argadd command.

      • Shlomi Fish
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9, 2013
          Hi Russ,

          please don't start a new thread by replying to an existing message. Instead,
          write a new message to vim_use@... . I could tell that was the
          case here by my mailer's threading capabilities.

          Regards,

          Shlomi Fish

          On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 18:46:50 -0500
          Russell Urquhart <russurquhart1@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > This comes on the heels of Taylor helping me to remember how to bring all the
          > files in a given directory into a single file in Vim.
          [SNIPPED]

        • Russell Urquhart
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 10, 2013
            We'll do, sorry about that!