Can I control the order of files, then concat into a file

  • Russell Urquhart
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 9, 2013
      Hi all,

      This comes on the heels of Taylor helping me to remember how to bring all the files in a given directory into a single file in Vim.

      For this particular document(s) i might have to create, is there a way to choose the order of the files in the given directory, and have them load, in that order, into a single file.

      The order is probably going to be specific to what my users want, and not sorted by any manner.

      Can anyone suggest the best way to do this in Vim?

      Thanks again to all of you, and thanks again to Taylor!

      Russ

    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 9, 2013
        On 2013-04-09 18:46, Russell Urquhart wrote:
        > The order is probably going to be specific to what my users want,
        > and not sorted by any manner.
        >
        > Can anyone suggest the best way to do this in Vim?

        Presuming you want to control the order of the files by having them
        listed one-per-line in a file, you could do something like

        :g/^/exe 'sview '.getline('.')|w!>>output.txt|q

        This looks at each line in your order-control file, splits to open
        the file named on the line (using ":sview" so it's read-only), writes
        the contents (appending) to "output.txt", then quits the split
        window, leaving you back in your original order-control file.

        -tim

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9, 2013
          On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 6:46:50 PM UTC-5, russur wrote:

          > For this particular document(s) i might have to create, is there a way to choose the order of the files in the given directory, and have them load, in that order, into a single file.
          >

          > The order is probably going to be specific to what my users want, and not sorted by any manner.
          >

          > Can anyone suggest the best way to do this in Vim?

          Your solution for all the files in a directory used the arglist. I presume you opened them all with a wildcard.

          If you want to specify an order, don't use a wildcard, just list them out in the order you want. You could even add more after creating the arglist with the :argadd command.

        • Shlomi Fish
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 9, 2013
            Hi Russ,

            please don't start a new thread by replying to an existing message. Instead,
            write a new message to vim_use@... . I could tell that was the
            case here by my mailer's threading capabilities.

            Regards,

            Shlomi Fish

            On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 18:46:50 -0500
            Russell Urquhart <russurquhart1@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > This comes on the heels of Taylor helping me to remember how to bring all the
            > files in a given directory into a single file in Vim.
            [SNIPPED]

          • Russell Urquhart
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 10, 2013
              We'll do, sorry about that!